Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball, your opinions so far?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You are really trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel now :rolleyes:

Nope, I treat all non Albion related journalist’s opinions with a big pinch of salt. For the most part they slagged off CH’s style of football last season and then slagged the club off when we sacked him, and there was talk of it being racist from some :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasn't me who found this - wish I had - when the club sacked Hughton they claimed it was because of the 3 wins in 23 games - now there are several sources which indicate that the club intended to remove him all along as part of a strategy to change the direction of the club. I don't have a problem with that - the club's hierarchy are entitled to do whatever they want with the club - they own it. I do think that they have done a bit of a disservice to CH and to the fans in the approach last season - it makes the kool aid taste a bit sour.

I will refer back to the article that was linked by [MENTION=7321]casbom[/MENTION] -
Others at the club, meanwhile, felt it time to evolve to a more progressive approach, and players were recruited to fit a slightly different philosophy. What happened was likely inevitable. Hughton stuck to his football with his players, while huge sums of money were spent on footballers who didn’t fit what he wanted to do. As such, many of the signings just didn’t work out, and Brighton ended up around where they were the previous year.

I don't disagree with your latest comments but that has nothing to do with my reply or your previous inference. You suggested that CH had players foisted upon him. This is not what has been published. Even he has never claimed it.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I don't disagree with your latest comments but that has nothing to do with my reply or your previous inference. You suggested that CH had players foisted upon him. This is not what has been published. Even he has never claimed it.

I actually didn't suggest that - I suggested that the club's hierarchy adopted a strategy that was based on changing the direction of the club - and - it appears - without keeping the manager in the loop - and the upshot of that was that Hughton had players that couldn't contribute when the sh*t hit the fan last season.

Many clubs these days are moving away from the manager controlling the transfers of the club - and that isn't an issue - but if you are doing that then there is an onus on the club to ensure that the players that are brought in are on the basis of maximising the potential of the manager to do the job. If the intention is to bring players in who are at odds with the approach of the manager then there really is an onus on the club to make that clear to the manager or to dispense with his services - not to do that is a disservice to the manager - and most of all to the fans who will not get the best outcome on the pitch.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Nope, I treat all non Albion related journalist’s opinions with a big pinch of salt. For the most part they slagged off CH’s style of football last season and then slagged the club off when we sacked him, and there was talk of it being racist from some :shrug:

maybe a few of them can look at the club without the spectrum of Albion tinted glasses

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I believe you said you were married.
How does he/she put up with you being on here twenty four hours a day.

I am actually sitting at a computer working at the moment - dropping in occasionally for a quick break from a quite tedious task (and she is sitting down watching I'm A Celeb)

Would you deprive me of a little down time reading and responding to all the interesting comments on here?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I actually didn't suggest that - I suggested that the club's hierarchy adopted a strategy that was based on changing the direction of the club - and - it appears - without keeping the manager in the loop - and the upshot of that was that Hughton had players that couldn't contribute when the sh*t hit the fan last season.

Many clubs these days are moving away from the manager controlling the transfers of the club - and that isn't an issue - but if you are doing that then there is an onus on the club to ensure that the players that are brought in are on the basis of maximising the potential of the manager to do the job. If the intention is to bring players in who are at odds with the approach of the manager then there really is an onus on the club to make that clear to the manager or to dispense with his services - not to do that is a disservice to the manager - and most of all to the fans who will not get the best outcome on the pitch.

Forgive me but you are denying saying what you said and then giving an explanation of why you said it. I think I'll leave it there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not what Barber said yesterday - he said the head coach has had the final say on all player recruitment....and that it takes time to build a squad in that image. The inference to me was the Potter is now having to offload what CH brought in over time to replace them with those fitting his style of play (which in turn aligns with the club's longer term strategy)

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Not what Barber said yesterday - he said the head coach has had the final say on all player recruitment....and that it takes time to build a squad in that image. The inference to me was the Potter is now having to offload what CH brought in over time to replace them with those fitting his style of play (which in turn aligns with the club's longer term strategy)

Be interested in hearing that - do you have a link?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Maty may have a big kick but that’s ridiculous, it won’t reach him and we can boo Locadia for not making the effort to get to it

v Arsenal last season, try it to Maupay tomorrow

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Forgive me but you are denying saying what you said and then giving an explanation of why you said it. I think I'll leave it there.

try reading it again - if the article is accurate then it looks like the club hierarchy and the manager were on two different pages - the point I argued was that it was the club's responsibility for both to be on the same page - and if they weren't then the club needed to change something. Again - if the article is accurate then the club should have made the change at the end of 17/18 - not last May.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
try reading it again - if the article is accurate then it looks like the club hierarchy and the manager were on two different pages - the point I argued was that it was the club's responsibility for both to be on the same page - and if they weren't then the club needed to change something. Again - if the article is accurate then the club should have made the change at the end of 17/18 - not last May.

I used to enjoy your posts when they were about our Irish players as you appeared to have an in depth knowledge of them. Now you just sound like CH's mother banging on about how he's being bullied in the playground.

Most people- not just Albion fans- seem to agree that the management is doing a very good job but you put forward some conspiracy theory -flat earth level- that TB was spending millions buying the wrong players to spite CH. It might be time for you to walk away from the computer and have a think about your behavior.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I used to enjoy your posts when they were about our Irish players as you appeared to have an in depth knowledge of them. Now you just sound like CH's mother banging on about how he's being bullied in the playground.

Most people- not just Albion fans- seem to agree that the management is doing a very good job but you put forward some conspiracy theory -flat earth level- that TB was spending millions buying the wrong players to spite CH. It might be time for you to walk away from the computer and have a think about your behavior.

Exactly. JRG is clearly a very passionate fan... of Chris Hughton.

Goodness me he should hire you as his press officer.

Nearly all fans here are over Hughton and are fully supportive of our brilliant new manager. I think it’s time to accept we won’t see eye to eye JR, when Hughton gets a new job you should join a forum for that team.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I have not posted a single comment on here about Hughton that has not been in response to what I consider is an unwarranted criticism of CH - and I have continued to comment about the Irish players at the club through this stuff. I keep getting accused of stuff that I am not doing - case in point - several posters claimed that I was only interested in the Irish players at Brighton because I was attacking the decision to drop Duffy - I never made a single comment about Duffy being dropped - in fact I understand the reason why Potter has done so. People repeatedly read stuff into my comments that isn't there and they do so because I dare to express and opinion that is contrary to that of the majority (with the constant false accusation that I support another team or that I am only posting on here about CH and I am only interested in trolling)

Again - go back and read the comments I made here - I specifically state that the club's hierarchy was entitled to do whatever they want to do with the club because they own it - I also specifically stated that my comments were based on the accuracy of the article - and I did not suggest some 'conspiracy theory'. Specifically on the transfers - the article suggested that the club decided on a change in direction after the 17/18 season - it stated that the players they purchased were decided on with this change in direction in mind - it stated that Hughton had to work with players that did not suit his game plan when he was trying to prevent relegation last season - and I suggested that maybe the club's hierarchy should have considered making a managerial change at the end of 17/18 if they really wanted to take the club in a different direction. If you read my comments you will see that I am arguing that, if the article is accurate, in my view it would have been more appropriate for Bloom to have sacked Hughton a year earlier than he did. You are seeing 'conspiracy' theories in my comments because you want to - not because they are there. Now [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] has suggested that Barber's comments in the interview yesterday contradict this article - I haven't heard the interview - if dazzer or someone else has a link please post it as I would like to listen to it - and if dazzer's interpretation of the interview is accurate then it will be necessary for me to revise my comments in the light of this new evidence.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Exactly. JRG is clearly a very passionate fan... of Chris Hughton.
I like the guy as a person and I like him as a manager

Nearly all fans here are over Hughton and are fully supportive of our brilliant new manager. I think it’s time to accept we won’t see eye to eye JR, when Hughton gets a new job you should join a forum for that team.
If people on here were over Hughton they wouldn't keep posting distorted nonsense about him when comparing him to Potter - as I said above - every post I have made since Hughton was sacked has been in response to what I consider are unfounded criticisms of Hughton that are not backed up by evidence. Yes people should 'get over' it and let the criticism go.

I do look forward to Hughton getting another job and it will be interesting to see how he gets on there - but as I have stated in the past, this is the only football forum that I post on - and if people want me to shut up about CH then the best way to do it is by stopping the claptrap that continues almost 7 months after he was sacked.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Do you have a link?

Nope. It simply isn't worth my time to look for one. You've heard of google, haven't you?

Pretty much any Albion fan on NSC will confirm that the club have consistently maintained that, over a number of years.

But if you don't want to believe me, don't believe me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here