Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter.........

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
What many on here failed to grasp last season is that Potter tactically is doing things differently to almost every other club save ManCity. The fluidity of our tactics is stunning, we can go from a 3, to a 4, to a diamond in midfield, to a 4-4-2 all seemlessly depending on the needs of the game. He has given belief to a group of players that they are total footballers in that 70s Dutch philosophy. There is no longer a ‘what are we going to do without Dunk, Duffy, Bissouma, Mwepu’ - Alzate comes in and his his best game for the club - he believes in himself the group believe in him.

Last night I watch the European Champions bamboozled by our tactics. The only real trouble for us is many sides just think **** it we’ll sit in our half and hope they don’t score, that doesn’t take anything away from the creativity of our play.

I know it has been 2 consecutive draws, but I really did enjoy both games, atmosphere rightly electric with anticipation. Great times that actually it’s the really big games we’re looking forward to - any notion of it’s just a ‘PL big 6 free hit’ long gone.

Every game you can study our movement, positioning, flexibility through all the phases of play. Fascinating to watch. Did someone say our recruitment has been questionable - what on earth are you watching!?

Well put.Totally agree.

TNBA

TTF

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
A cursory search of Twitter can find several supporters of big teams wanting Potter. Quite a few City supporters seem to like the thought of appointing him, as our well drilled pressing game has a certain continuity with theirs.

We’re so lucky to have him. I’m just going to enjoy the good times while I can.

Seems [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] was right from the very start.

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Not sure why ppl are only talking about the PL. Potter has a continental philosophy which would be a great match for many European sides. It’s a similar situation to StevieG at Villa. If Graham continues to make us better, the more he will highlight his own qualities. The better StevieG does at Villa the more likely he takes over from JK.
At Brighton, we just keep enjoying the ride and watch games like we did last night.
At times we made the European champions look very ordinary, although the amount of games the top clubs have at the moment is ridiculous.

Sorry what? How many more games have the ‘top’ clubs had over us in the last 6 weeks? We’re also missing key starting players including our captain.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm not sure he is a top team manager, the fans of those clubs are too impatient and entitled, some of our fans are the same of course, GP doesn't change a team overnight he needs time and slowly improves a team and needs an owner who will let him do that. Us and him are a match made in heaven IMO

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What many on here failed to grasp last season is that Potter tactically is doing things differently to almost every other club save ManCity. The fluidity of our tactics is stunning, we can go from a 3, to a 4, to a diamond in midfield, to a 4-4-2 all seemlessly depending on the needs of the game. He has given belief to a group of players that they are total footballers in that 70s Dutch philosophy. There is no longer a ‘what are we going to do without Dunk, Duffy, Bissouma, Mwepu’ - Alzate comes in and his his best game for the club - he believes in himself the group believe in him.

Last night I watch the European Champions bamboozled by our tactics. The only real trouble for us is many sides just think **** it we’ll sit in our half and hope they don’t score, that doesn’t take anything away from the creativity of our play.

I know it has been 2 consecutive draws, but I really did enjoy both games, atmosphere rightly electric with anticipation. Great times that actually it’s the really big games we’re looking forward to - any notion of it’s just a ‘PL big 6 free hit’ long gone.

Every game you can study our movement, positioning, flexibility through all the phases of play. Fascinating to watch. Did someone say our recruitment has been questionable - what on earth are you watching!?

100% this….last night was astonishing, we were easily the better team for about 75 mins. Chelsea players were looking at each other as the ball fizzed around them (particularly in midfield) with a ‘WTF do we do now ?’ kind of look on their faces. For us to play as we did, against the Champions of Europe, with Biss, Lallana, Dunk, Mwepu out and leaving Maupay and Trossard on the bench (so at least 5 normal ‘first choice’ players not starting) would have been unthinkable for many. The confidence Potter has instilled in the team right now is incredible - even down to first time passes, flicks, backheels, and the like. Watching the games, it’s hugely noticeable that we as fans don’t worry about going behind any more as we know we’re going to create something and get back in it. As you say, being forced into starting Alzate, who’s had virtually no football for months and for him to put in a shift like he did last night is remarkable - the trust and confidence within the group and the ‘project’ must be total.

Listening to reports last night and this morning we’re definitely not under the radar any more, that’s for sure. After the game I had several messages from mates who have STs at other PL clubs essentially saying they couldn’t believe how good we looked.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
When was the last time a Premier League club poached another Premier League club’s manager?

Not the most recent example but Pochettino, from Southampton to Spurs, would be a similar elevation, I guess.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think GP would reject any club not named Liverpool or Manchester City, maybe Arsenal (good potential, reasonable patience, wouldnt have to move) or Manchester United (interesting challenge).

There's, for him, a lot of things more interesting than instant money or great players. This is a pretty good article (you can use Google translate) that shows a lot of clubs just dont suit him:
https://www.expressen.se/sport/qs/fran-mupp-till-geni/

Not to mention that both when he moved to Swansea and Brighton the first things he mentioned was that he was sorry to uproot his kids who had made friends in school etc. He'll be reluctant to do that again, it would take something really, really good - things like Everton or Newcastle is something you can just throw out the window, its not happening.

It was only last season that we were having in/out polls after every game.

He is still a big gamble for the big clubs, I think we'll have him for another couple of seasons at least.

The big 6 don't really do anything brave or interesting when it comes to appointing a manager.

Yup always playing it safe like Arteta, Solskjaer, Nuno, Moyes, Rodgers, Lampard etc.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Not sure why ppl are only talking about the PL. Potter has a continental philosophy which would be a great match for many European sides. It’s a similar situation to StevieG at Villa. If Graham continues to make us better, the more he will highlight his own qualities. The better StevieG does at Villa the more likely he takes over from JK.
At Brighton, we just keep enjoying the ride and watch games like we did last night.
At times we made the European champions look very ordinary, although the amount of games the top clubs have at the moment is ridiculous.

I agree. I think it more likely that when he moves it will be to a German or Spanish top-level side in, or with a good chance of, Champions League football. He's smart and won't want to go to a basket-case club like Man U or follow legends like Klopp or Guardiola.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Yup always playing it safe like Arteta, Solskjaer, Nuno, Moyes, Rodgers, Lampard etc.

Only 3 of those would be considered real gambles (and all three hired with heart over head as "club legends"). Nuno, Moyes and Rodgers had all had successful management careers with large clubs prior to joining their Big 6 club.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Let's judge him at the end of the season and see where we are. It's nice to be getting good results but we are only a striker injury away from finishing 15th again.
What striker ? we would have to lose both Welbeck and Maupay

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What striker ? we would have to lose both Welbeck and Maupay

and then Trossard too. And who knows if Ferguson can step in. I reckon even Moder could do a turn up front.

That said, ManCity haven't had a CF for 2 years and will be champions 2 years running. In Jota, Mane and Salah Liverpool don't play a traditional CF. Tactics move on, some fans don't.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
There is no way Man Utd, City, Liverpool, or Chelsea in their current guises would even come close to considering Potter at the moment. They will always want a manager that has proven he can win big trophies at the very elite level.

There is a risk around clubs like Spurs, and probably Arsenal that have slipped away from that level and are probably more open to building success. Other than that I'm not sure there are many other clubs that can replicate what he has at Brighton, potentially West Ham or Leicester, or maybe Newcastle if Ashworth goes there but I'd hope he's got more morals than that.

To my mind, GP's consideration will be how far he can take Brighton. So long as he gets the support, he may consider that he wants to build a team to get to Europe (ultimately), rather than being given Europe on a plate. If he feels he has reached a glass ceiling (not yet, but some time in the future), then he would surely consider moving at that stage. No different from anybody with career aspirations in any walk of life.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
#PrayForJunior :lolol:

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Very pleased with the performances recently, especially last night but on the flip side I think GP still has to prove his ability to recruit and develop players long term as well as demonstrate a consistent level of performance before a club at the level of the (so called) top six would be wise to try and take him or, even more important, he would be advised to move. For example, we are still lacking in clinical finishing ability up front and the question is if Potter can do more with what he has or find the right player(s) to bolster the squad. Can he repeat or even better the performance of this season next season? Can he take Brighton into Europe and, if he does, how well does he do?

If it's obvious at some point he's hit a limit then the question will be is if it's the limit of his ability or if it's what he can do with what he is given?

Personally, I think that if he is allowed to have a bit more to play with in the transfer market then we could see him push and keep us at a level where we are regularly biting the heels of the big boys. I would hope that the success of this season gives the board enough to help him kick on next season.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
After last night the talk of our Graham going onto bigger clubs notched up a bit. Many pundits and commentators banging on about him being good enough for managing the likes of United liverpool. Yes, he won't stay forever and it's nice our manager is talked about so highly but just a little niggle in me that 1 of them will come calling as early as this summer?....thoughts anyone?

My thoughts are, he loses the next three games and all that talk gos away, the Potter Out brigade will be back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Just a shame each clip stops on the edge of their box

[tweet]1483756768895373312[/tweet]

Stumpy Tim

The job that worries me the most is the England one. I don't think a Big 6 team will come calling, unless Conte leaves Tottenham. However, his style of play and now results will surely be attractive to the England hierarchy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here