Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Potter pissed off with the crowd getting on the players backs and the booing apparently ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Beer prices post match ought to be reduced after games like today...Merry Xmas everyone and let’s hope for a better performance next time!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Anything less than three points against Sheffield Wednesday and I’ll be #GraPottOut.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Potter pissed off with the crowd getting on the players backs and the booing apparently ?

What does he expect with such an abysmal performance from his team? He and the players should stand up and be counted as they are well supported if they put in the effort even if we lose. They didnt today.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Got to look at recalling Duffy. Not just because of Webster's off day, but because Duffy's heading ability was sorely missed today.

Webster was shocking today (and I like him), but not so sure Duffy is necessarily the answer for the next game against Spurs, with Son and Moura buzzing around. With the benefit of hindsight, Duffy should have played today to deal with McBurnie and the quite fantastic* McGoldrick.

* although awful/low-confidence finisher

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I’m going to assume SU played their normal game / setup. That being so, it was tailor made for Duffy. He would have won those long balls up to their front 2 and not been bullied around.

We were poor but did SU create anything without a rather large helping hand from us, mainly Webster? Probably not.

Is Stephens so good he has to play when available? Not imo.

Is Troddard a left winger? No. He is class and he needs to see more of the ball. I’d like him in the no.10 role and if that means Gross doesn’t start then so be it.

But we’ve been so good so often this season if it doesn’t quite go to plan every now and then, well never mind we’ll go again. Just don’t make a habit of it please.

It’s TroSSard. Apart from that, bang on.

troddard.jpg

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Not turning on Potter at all by what I'm about to say. The philosophy he is instilled into our players in such a short space of time is incredible. The fact that he has taken Alzate and Connolly from the youth and turned them into Premier League players in one summer is absolutely genius. In that sense his man management is brilliant.

In another sense, I feel the one thing Potter needs to work on is personnel. His player choices are somewhat erratic. Sometimes we finish games with 6 defenders on the pitch. Murray can't even buy a couple of minutes in some games, in others he's called on for 45 minutes and expected to be at peak level. And Duffy clearly needs to come in for Webster. I don't think he will hamper our overall style and I think Lewis would surely appreciate his sidekick back in defence.

Like Potter and like the style. A little more pragmatism and conventionality may not go a miss in games like today though.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Not turning on Potter at all by what I'm about to say. The philosophy he is instilled into our players in such a short space of time is incredible. The fact that he has taken Alzate and Connolly from the youth and turned them into Premier League players in one summer is absolutely genius. In that sense his man management is brilliant.

In another sense, I feel the one thing Potter needs to work on is personnel. His player choices are somewhat erratic. Sometimes we finish games with 6 defenders on the pitch. Murray can't even buy a couple of minutes in some games, in others he's called on for 45 minutes and expected to be at peak level. And Duffy clearly needs to come in for Webster. I don't think he will hamper our overall style and I think Lewis would surely appreciate his sidekick back in defence.

Like Potter and like the style. A little more pragmatism and conventionality may not go a miss in games like today though.

Actually hr was totally outthought and his team were totalky outfought today....and that is worrying because others will follow.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
In this game, so would I. It needed someone who would run at defenders, beat them, draw someone in and make space. We don't have anyone left like that.

However, Trossard has been magnificent in other games, particulalry at the start of the season pre-injury and Knocky was alternatively selfish, frustrating and useless at times last season and doesn't fit our overall style.

A player that combines the best of both would probably be 50 mill plus and playing for Man City or Barca.

Maybe but to b in situations where our centre back is taking set piece free kick and a 6 foot 5 or however tall he is ,is playing as our winger is not good either
No other player at our club is capable of scoring a goal that knocky scored at Palace .trossard a long way off being close to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It was the first game we have looked awful and the fact it has taken this long for me to feel like that shows how good we have been up to now.

We are not alone in not having an answer to Wilders system as the league table shows and our players were just not at the level required today to compete with too many mistakes being made in all areas.

They happen and it’s just one of those you just put behind you and move on. This was always going to be a transitional season with lots of ups and downs as everyone settles into their new roles (including Potter).

Still need a few good windows to get in players who can play this system and need to back the manager in January and the Summer with full backs top of the shopping list

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wilder has been with Sheffield United three and a half years. In that time he's been able to sign players who suit his style of play, as well as having the confidence that comes with a promotion to the Premier League two seasons after a League One title. Looking at those players he had yesterday, there's not a stand out star among them yet they are a complete team, organised, confident and fairly cynical. But there are areas we can definitely learn from. Both their wing backs are WAY better than anyone we've got at fullback. Lundstram is an absolutely collosal midfielder. McBurnie (shame we didn't sign him) bullied Webster all day. Ollie Norwood has finally found a system that suits him. They used those players in particular yesterday. But there were weaknesses for me to. McGlodrick cannot finish. They had no width. And Connolly pushed them back in the second half which would have been an interesting proposition if it had been 0-0. I am disappointed we didn't exploit those.

So why am I talking about Wilder on a Potter thread? Because Potter has had six months. Because he has a lot of the shite he inherited from CH (Jahanbaksh talking up a squad place, Montoya / Greyhound competing for right back, Propper and Gross with snail like pace, though they have other qualities, two strikers who had to be loaned out) and a nearly relegated club low on confidence. Give Potter a few more months and more suitable players and he could take us to a very similar place.

We probably don't want to do a lot of business in January because Tony never does. It's an inflated market in general and quite panicky. A shame, because there are obvious areas for strengthening. Fair enough if we're not going to play Duffy because he doesn't suit but then at least recall White and give the awful Webster time to find his feet in the U23s. A centre midfielder with pace would be nice. Two new full backs as well, or one and then either trust Bernardo or turn Alzate in a to a full blown wing back. And a striker. Murray clearly focussing on his media career now. He always did need a game or two to get going and he's not going to get that. Bringing on players to push the opposition was right but Murray was a million miles off the pace.

But it is close. We battered Palace 1-1, just a couple of different finishes away from three points. We've stuffed Spurs at home and Arsenal away and given Liverpool an almighty fright. And all that is WITH the above limitations. Stick with Potter and give him a bit of backing and I still think things will work out very well indeed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Still team Potter here. We have had just the one piss poor performance, that is not enough to turn on him surely?

Quite right.

Knee jerk reactions are unhelpful. But the insistence of playing Webster over Duffy remains the wrong decision for me, and defensively defies any logic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wilder has been with Sheffield United three and a half years. In that time he's been able to sign players who suit his style of play, as well as having the confidence that comes with a promotion to the Premier League two seasons after a League One title. Looking at those players he had yesterday, there's not a stand out star among them yet they are a complete team, organised, confident and fairly cynical. But there are areas we can definitely learn from. Both their wing backs are WAY better than anyone we've got at fullback. Lundstram is an absolutely collosal midfielder. McBurnie (shame we didn't sign him) bullied Webster all day. Ollie Norwood has finally found a system that suits him. They used those players in particular yesterday. But there were weaknesses for me to. McGlodrick cannot finish. They had no width. And Connolly pushed them back in the second half which would have been an interesting proposition if it had been 0-0. I am disappointed we didn't exploit those.

So why am I talking about Wilder on a Potter thread? Because Potter has had six months. Because he has a lot of the shite he inherited from CH (Jahanbaksh talking up a squad place, Montoya / Greyhound competing for right back, Propper and Gross with snail like pace, though they have other qualities, two strikers who had to be loaned out) and a nearly relegated club low on confidence. Give Potter a few more months and more suitable players and he could take us to a very similar place.

We probably don't want to do a lot of business in January because Tony never does. It's an inflated market in general and quite panicky. A shame, because there are obvious areas for strengthening. Fair enough if we're not going to play Duffy because he doesn't suit but then at least recall White and give the awful Webster time to find his feet in the U23s. A centre midfielder with pace would be nice. Two new full backs as well, or one and then either trust Bernardo or turn Alzate in a to a full blown wing back. And a striker. Murray clearly focussing on his media career now. He always did need a game or two to get going and he's not going to get that. Bringing on players to push the opposition was right but Murray was a million miles off the pace.

But it is close. We battered Palace 1-1, just a couple of different finishes away from three points. We've stuffed Spurs at home and Arsenal away and given Liverpool an almighty fright. And all that is WITH the above limitations. Stick with Potter and give him a bit of backing and I still think things will work out very well indeed.

Spot on. Needs at least a couple of seasons and 2-3 transfer windows to build the entire squad to suit his style. What he’s done so far is remarkable in such a short timespan, and we’re not the first team to be undone by the Blades.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Actually hr was totally outthought and his team were totalky outfought today....and that is worrying because others will follow.

It's only one game remember! We've out-thought plenty of teams ourselves this season, albeit sometimes not quite getting the result we deserved.I
Sheffield United seem to be out-thinking everyone, too, especially away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here