Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Potter will want to finish his project at Brighton first"

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Two elements to the decision

1 Does he think he's ready to step up
2 Does he think Chelsea will provide him the platform he needs to be successful

I think if the answer to 2 is yes, then he's gone.

He will only stay to complete the project, if he doesn't like the look of the Chelsea set up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First couple of seasons were quite frustrating. We were clearly playing well but not taking our chances, scoring fewer goals and points but also going through long periods of poor results. One home win in the whole (yes Covid / BCD disrupted) calendar year of 2020. Long runs of games where wins became draws and draws became defeats. Even last season a seven game streak which yielded one point and one goal. Chelsea won't tolerate that (which I admit isn't the question) but where I questioned it I was repeatedly told by many on here it's a long term project. And I asked a similar but different question to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - "when is the project due to complete then?".

It turns out that, for me anyway, the answer was "last season and the start of this". Suddenly scoring and winning from the great football. It's all many were asking for but, of course, it brings its own problems. A "team like" Brighton can only really have two outcomes. The first is regular and unremitting relegation battle which just show what a boring and depressing league the PL is and the other was punching above our weight, in which case all our best people (TB and PB excepted) would go. Ashworth first, then Biss and Cucurella, now it looks like Potter.

This is a good reason why certain people really shouldn't get too attached to the coach. No one man is bigger than the club itself and the only way to keep the pretty football, it would seem, would be glorious failure.

So - he's achieved what he needed and if he turns down Chelsea he won't turn down England or Liverpool or whoever comes calling next.

Put a fork in him. He's done.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It makes complete sense.

For example I had a company approach me today and offered me 4 times my salary and working for a much larger corporation.

I politely told them I was working on a BRILLIANT spreadsheet at the moment and I didn't want to move until I had that finished.

Do you get awarded silverware for a spreadsheet?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
First couple of seasons were quite frustrating. We were clearly playing well but not taking our chances, scoring fewer goals and points but also going through long periods of poor results. One home win in the whole (yes Covid / BCD disrupted) calendar year of 2020. Long runs of games where wins became draws and draws became defeats. Even last season a seven game streak which yielded one point and one goal. Chelsea won't tolerate that (which I admit isn't the question) but where I questioned it I was repeatedly told by many on here it's a long term project. And I asked a similar but different question to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - "when is the project due to complete then?".

It turns out that, for me anyway, the answer was "last season and the start of this". Suddenly scoring and winning from the great football. It's all many were asking for but, of course, it brings its own problems. A "team like" Brighton can only really have two outcomes. The first is regular and unremitting relegation battle which just show what a boring and depressing league the PL is and the other was punching above our weight, in which case all our best people (TB and PB excepted) would go. Ashworth first, then Biss and Cucurella, now it looks like Potter.

This is a good reason why certain people really shouldn't get too attached to the coach. No one man is bigger than the club itself and the only way to keep the pretty football, it would seem, would be glorious failure.

So - he's achieved what he needed and if he turns down Chelsea he won't turn down England or Liverpool or whoever comes calling next.

Put a fork in him. He's done.

This is one reason I would like the 'big 6' to bugger off to a so-called super league. It may just make the PL interesting in the same way the championship is interesting. Football is so skewed towards preserving the hegemony of the elite, it can be quite depressing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You don't get any for finishing ninth in the Premier League.

Which was why I’m surprised that Chelsea want him.

We could win a cup with GP, and that would be his next achievement after breaking into the top 10. There is still something to aim at here, but then you knew that.

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
For sure Chelsea fans won’t accept a long term building plan? Tuchel only arrived in January 2021 and had a win rate twice of Potter.

el punal

My bit of wishful thinking here :

Graham Potter goes to Chelsea for talks about a possible appointment as head coach. All the Chelsea big wigs are there and present their vision for the future and the package that Graham will receive - remuneration, bonuses, the works. Thank you very much, says GP, I’d like to go home and think about it.

Heads down Sussex way and meets up with Tony Bloom. Well, says Uncle Tony, what was their offer? Potter tells Bloom all the details but hasn’t made his mind up yet. Okay, Tone says, how about my offer? I’ll match Chelsea’s offer with a new contract, plus, a bonus for a Europa League place, and a whopping bonus for a top four finish - how does that sound?

Love it, says Graham, where do I sign! :bowdown:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Of course TB will give permission to GP to talk to CFC , but i would like to believe he would tell him that if it is about money he will match what they offer him . As for finishing what he has started , it took him 7 years at Ostersunds to complete his journey , i think he could see us as a similar "project" . As i said on a similar thread , i would love to see him become our Dario Gradi , Arsene Wenger or Sir Alex , he is obviously grounded and a man of great values , not even CFC can buy that . So it would have to be down to size of club , if we are ever to achieve any kind of true long term success it will be a GP and how often do they turn up . Please Mr Bloom don`t let the reason he leaves be down to something as mundane as money .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He is going looks fairly certain. The timing of this is just horrible - if he had gone next summer after another great season then i would be genuinely really happy for him - but if he goes now i will be booing him when he returns with Chelsea and i hope he fails . I get the fact that this must be a great chance for him but it just shows what little respect he has for us - so i am not going to show him any respect if he goes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange attitude. So if a bigger company came and head hunted you and offered you four times your salary you wouldn't accept it ? And if you did accept it would your ex-collegues boo you ? If GP leaves I'll be gutted but I'd understand, especially as he has a young family to try and get the best for but I wouldn't wish any ill.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Strange attitude. So if a bigger company came and head hunted you and offered you four times your salary you wouldn't accept it ? And if you did accept it would your ex-collegues boo you ? If GP leaves I'll be gutted but I'd understand, especially as he has a young family to try and get the best for but I wouldn't wish any ill.

I understand and accept that he may want to leave to further his ambitions and career but I wouldn't give a moment's thought to the well being of his family. I imagine they are already set for life.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I understand and accept that he may want to leave to further his ambitions and career but I wouldn't give a moment's thought to the well being of his family. I imagine they are already set for life.

Agreed.

I like to think it would come into GP's train of thought though.

I expect GP to move on to something similar but better at some point . . . . I can only really see that being Liverpool, Arsenal or England in this country.

If he takes a Chelsea offer he's dropped several rungs in my estimation.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Two elements to the decision

1 Does he think he's ready to step up
2 Does he think Chelsea will provide him the platform he needs to be successful

I think if the answer to 2 is yes, then he's gone.

He will only stay to complete the project, if he doesn't like the look of the Chelsea set up.

Correction. The only element is money. He will get paid way more and have way more at his disposal. Why in earth would he not leave? Chelsea is a glass ceiling, he cannot fail. Made for life and even if Chelsea don’t win the inter galactic cup by the end of the month and he’s sacked he gets to walk into just about any other job for a long time yet to see if he can replicate our success.

Money is all the ‘sport’ is about. That’s not cynical but reality I’m afraid.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
When he's won something.

A cup. Any cup. No, not the Sussex Senior Cup.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
Correction. The only element is money. He will get paid way more and have way more at his disposal. Why in earth would he not leave? Chelsea is a glass ceiling, he cannot fail. Made for life and even if Chelsea don’t win the inter galactic cup by the end of the month and he’s sacked he gets to walk into just about any other job for a long time yet to see if he can replicate our success.

You think Potter is only motivated by money? In all the interviews I have read or seen that doesn't seem likely.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I agree with an element of this.

GP has always been clear that there is more to life than football. That's why he is so level headed. Perhaps he's got to an age where he wants to do other things. Maybe that's winning the European Cup or Premier League, maybe it's just walking away.

In come Chelsea with mega bucks. GP thinks, well I can go there and be a success and get rich, or go there get sacked by a bunch of loons and still walk away with a pot of cash. Then I can either do something different with the familiy or join another club.

If he goes to Chelsea, then it will be a pragmatic decision. And Chelsea will not know how to nurture him or treat him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here