Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Potter will want to finish his project at Brighton first"

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
SSN talking like it's a done deal. Strange going from sitting for the official squad photo to talking with a potential new club on the same day.
Sounds very much like a tapping up. But that's just football these days. Was same with ten hag

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
well he left Swansea after just a season to come here, so if he finds the project at chelsea even semi-interesting then he's as good as gone

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
well he left Swansea after just a season to come here, so if he finds the project at chelsea even semi-interesting then he's as good as gone
Swansea were a mess and sold off all their best players.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The 'project' is surely complete when we're no longer moving upwards - i.e. when all we're aiming for is to match the previous season. This year we have (half?) an eye on qualifying for Europe for the first time ever. If we achieve it, we'll then actually get to enjoy our first ever European campaign.

If our ambition this year was just "finish 9th again" - or if we finish the year finishing 9th or lower - then I think he'd say 'project complete'.

(This doesn't mean I think he'll turn Chelsea down - that wasn't the question!)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Potterball doesn’t happen overnight, it takes time, a long time. Chelsea want an immediate fix. The two aren’t compatible.
Right now, what they appear to want is not "an immediate fix"as much as "Graham Potter".

That's why they're talking to him, having agreed to pay the £16m release clause.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I feel like I have just switched on the News to see my wife is in talks with another man about leaving me. To be honest as much as I love her I would probably swap that scenario for Potter leaving.

If he goes I might cry a bit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You could argue that he has finished his project. He's got us to a record 6th season in the Prem, a record best-placed 9th finish, got us up to 4th place this season, we've had a record 10-match unbeaten run, we're bringing in record-breaking transfer fees for players from Top 6 sides.

We're successfully bring though Prem quality players through our recruitment system.

And yet...Dan Ashworth has gone so there is no guarantee the conveyor belt of talent will continue. He has one proven (but injury-prone) Prem striker at his disposal, club leader Lallana will surely retire at the end of the season (if not before) and the vultures are already circling for rising star player Caicedo.

I will be staggered if Chelsea offer him the job and he doesn't take it.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I just have a feeling he stays. Not sure if it's just hope.

From what he has said in his previous interviews, I just don't see how he jumps ship. I don't think he is money motivated.

I suppose we will find out by the end of the day.

Come on Potter, you know it makes more sense to stay.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Swansea were a mess and sold off all their best players.

it's all relative. our budget and squad was a lot better than Swansea's but Chelsea's is better than ours. if the owner convinces him that this is a long term appointment and he'll be given time then I see no reason for him to stay. point being, I think some of the observations about him having a loyalty to this project are being made through slightly blue and white tinted lenses

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As my old boss once said (wisely) "as a leader you never truly finish your job, don't pass up good opportunities if your current project is the only thing keeping you there". Now I know there's more to it than just a "good project", but we're kidding ourselves if we believe that Chelsea will approach Potter without a vision to match his talent.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I know we're all thinking that Potter is ambitious, so he'd likely take the job. But TB is ambitious, too. I'd be surprised if the "Top Ten" target hasn't been upgraded slightly, with Potter fully bought in to delivering something special at BHA in the next couple of years.

But that still might not be enough to stop GP leaving for Chelsea.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel like I have just switched on the News to see my wife is in talks with another man about leaving me.

Just in from Twitter: @FabrizioRomano "Mrs Reddleman to another man. HERE WE GO!"

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Potter leaving now at 1/3 with bookies. Looks ominous. Pundits are nearly always wrong but bookies are definitely not…

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Potter leaving now at 1/3 with bookies. Looks ominous. Pundits are nearly always wrong but bookies are definitely not…

Until he has had the conversation with Chelsea it's just guesswork though

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We've seen this so many times over the years. It's just where people are putting their money. It's absolutely menaningless. This market moves at the drop of a hat.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Apologies for starting another thread on this, but I thought it worthy of its own discussion.

There have been a fair few comments along the lines of the thread title, that Graham Potter will want to finish his project/job at the Albion before wanting to move on.

Those who are making that sort of comment - and anyone else who cares to chip in - what do you see as marking the point when Potter's job/project is complete and he will be ready to look for a new challenge?

I'm not one of those you've identified in your post above, but my view would be that I would hope he would consider the "Brighton project" as unfinished business until he's got us into a European competition. And then once that happens, I would hope he would stick around to see out that next season as well.

However ... I can absolutely understand the potential lure of a ready-made CL appointment for him. Having seen what he can do with our squad, just imagine what he could do with a Chelsea squad *if* given the time to get them all singing from the Potter soundtrack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here