[Albion] "Potter will want to finish his project at Brighton first"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
He won’t leave until the project is complete.

The project:
Invincible season whilst completing the quadruple.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Potter has done a fair stint with us and can probably think "job well done" now. We can't ask for too much more.

He could stay a bit longer, try for Europe or a Cup but I'm not sure there is too many new targets for him here now.

I hope he stays for a while longer, I will be sad if he goes.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've made a comment about him finishing his work here first I think. Events might prove me completely wrong but I think Potter is unlikely to leave mid-season for many reasons, but particularly now because he's all about learning and progression and improvement on a personal and professional level and if you listen to him speak relationships are incredibly important to him in that. There'll be players he's working with that he'll have a vested interest in, not just as footballers but as people, and how he comes across is that all that means a lot to him.

That development and that work will be cyclical and structured along the rhythm of a season and probably into the next, adjusted as they go, but on a trajectory towards some mutually agreed goals (no pun intended). When you're doing that kind of work with someone, and you're that invested in them on a human level, you don't just end something, you work towards a "graceful" finish. That doesn't have to take months, it can be a couple of weeks, but acknowledging ending and having a "good" ending will be important for Potter. I can see him leaving in the summer because that's a natural transition. Leaving mid-season I think would be tough because it'd leave a lot of unfinished work and relationships that don't have that end - I'm sure he'd get over it, but that'd nag at him because it goes against what he's demonstrated as his values. In terms of his project finishing I think that's a big part of it - has he ended well with this team and these players, has he honoured his values? Sounds fluffy, but that's what makes him so good. I think he'd lose a bit of that if he left now.

In the immediate though, the performance of this team is the proof of everything he stands for. Again, I might be proved wrong in the next 48 hours, but I think it'll mean a lot to him to at least finish this season and prove his methods work and can sustain that performance. He's spoken himself about what he's trying to do with the team and the players: now he's got them doing it it's the time to maximise that, enjoy it, and be confident even if it all goes wrong between now and the summer he's still going to be linked with every top job just as he has been for the past 18 months.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Those who are making that sort of comment - and anyone else who cares to chip in - what do you see as marking the point when Potter's job/project is complete and he will be ready to look for a new challenge?

The point he gets offered treble his salary and a huge transfer budget at one of the big 6.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I think Potter would like to see us in the top six and qualify for Europe. Potters first job was survival, second to hit some level of mid-table mediocrity, the third job to establish the club in the top ten with a punchers chance at top six. The first two have been achieved, the third is very much a work in progress but off to a good start.

I am not completely ruling out a move to Chelsea for Potter, but they will have to convince him of the worthiness of their project and the working environment they are going to give him. I'd be surprised if he'd just answer the phone and say yes off the bat just because they are a "big" club. I'm not sure they can deliver what he wants

Pretty much this.
As a manager who understands how people tick, what makes a good working environment and who places value on mental health/psychology, I'd say he is looking for far more than just money, big buck transfer fees and a shot at trophies. He's a builder.
So one of his targets was getting us 'established as a Top 10 club'. That doesn't mean just doing it once.
I think a top 7 or 8 finish with European qualification as a minimum.
But if he's gone by the weekend, forget you read this :lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Would any manager seriously turn down the opportunity to earn 4x their salary and the chance to manage a team in the Champions League? If he's their number one choice, he's gone.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Would this mean that TB has to redraw his short term ambition from "established top 10 club" to "don't get relegated" for the next couple of seasons, as a new manager beds in?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Well that would mean breaking into the top four come the end of a season. I tell you that isn't going to happen for one hell of a long time yet, never mind going on to do well in the Champions League.

I can't see into the future as well as you can, but that isn't what Bozza asked anyway.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Isn't there a real risk for him he leaves here having no fully solidified the perspective he's a world class coach, goes to Chelsea and flops for reasons outside his control (players, luck, etc) gets sacked in 9 months and then is back where he started, but wont get as good a setup in terms of owner, structure as he has currently somewhere else?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Boring thread.

Yes you have a strong view that potter will jump at the chance at joining Chelsea. We don't really need 20 threads proving this point !!!

It's good that some supporters still have a romantic view on football.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Would any manager seriously turn down the opportunity to earn 4x their salary and the chance to manage a team in the Champions League? If he's their number one choice, he's gone.

It sounds a bit mercenary when you put it like that. I would have thought GP would have wanted to get a team into the CL, not just inherit a CL place knowing that after a few duff results he’ll be out and looking to repair his reputation.

Hopefully a courtesy chat and a polite decline.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i have faith that he will stay ....not sure why but i just do, could well be wrong , this caps a great day for me as i had 2 jobs to finish that would have seen me invoice for 8k in total but i have tested positive to covid and must now stay isolated for 7 days.....:down:

that aside i think this is a horrendous decision by Chelsea.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
SSN talking like it's a done deal. Strange going from sitting for the official squad photo to talking with a potential new club on the same day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports