Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
To quote Donald Rumsfeld... There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Brighton & Hove Albion under Tony Bloom appears to mostly operate under the last two sentences - and that's probably true of most of the professional commentators and pundits that report on the club, let alone the army of ITKs that populate social media. And it's all fine because that's the way of the digital world.

Chris Hughton's continuation as BHA manager is definitely a thing we know we don't know but should have known.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
First we had Hughton who some people obviously thought he should have spelt it Houghton, now we have Connolly, who people think should have an 'e' instead of the second 'o'. It's like Albion always have to have someone whose name some people will never learn how to spell! Who's next if Connolly moves on in the summer? 'Lampty' perhaps?

Matty Ryan, Vincente..... probably loads more.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I hope he stays and think he will. But spurs don't need to approach the club at any point (other than for the need to keep a cordial relationship with a fellow PL club). Potter can quit anytime he likes, he has an employment contract. He'll have a notice period, which could be the full term of his contract, but if spurs pay up that contract he's gone. It's not like player agreements.

Sure. But that’s assuming he wants to leave.

Thus far no evidence at all that is the case. Quite the opposite in fact.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I just can't see it. Why would he want to openly be the 15th choice or whatever he is for the Spurs job? He'd be on to a loser before he starts.

And his stock is on the up, with one more good season with us, he would have better jobs available to him next summer with bigger clubs. Spurs are a bit of a mess at the moment and need a proper rebuild, it's a big job that he probably wouldn't be given the time to carry out if a few results don't go his way. I think he'd be mad to go there at the moment.

1. Graham Potter is unlikely to ever be first choice for a Top 6 job. Historically, English managers don't get offered those jobs, so these offers don't come around very often.

2. His stock IS up, but the chances of it continuing to rise are questionable without Biss and White, even moreso if Lamptey and / or Gross are allowed to leave. Everybody knows we would have finished 11th or 12th with a half-decent striker, so can he do much better than that at the Albion?

3. Yes, Spurs are in a mess but an English manager is only going to get the job off the back of a mess (see Harry Redknapp). And look what he has to work with - Matt Doherty and Ryan Sessegnon as his wing-backs, Son, Moura, Alli, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Alderweireld, Berwijn, Reguilon, Lloris, Rodon and c. £100 million of Kane money. Expectations have been lowered with a 7th place finish. Post-Kane, Spurs' Prem ambition will surely be 7th again and maybe a decent run in this new Euro Conference competition as they transition away from Mourinho football.

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
First we had Hughton who some people obviously thought he should have spelt it Houghton, now we have Connolly, who people think should have an 'e' instead of the second 'o'. It's like Albion always have to have someone whose name some people will never learn how to spell! Who's next if Connolly moves on in the summer? 'Lampty' perhaps?

I've had issues with Trossard.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
When Germany beat us you mean

licensed-image

Georg Listing says "Ja!"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
2. His stock IS up, but the chances of it continuing to rise are questionable without Biss and White, even moreso if Lamptey and / or Gross are allowed to leave. Everybody knows we would have finished 11th or 12th with a half-decent striker, so can he do much better than that at the Albion?

Get us a higher league position whilst playing decent football and having integrated/developed more younger players despite selling Biss and White (netting the club 100m in the process) and his stock will be rocketing.......it works both ways.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1. Graham Potter is unlikely to ever be first choice for a Top 6 job. Historically, English managers don't get offered those jobs, so these offers don't come around very often.

3. Yes, Spurs are in a mess but an English manager is only going to get the job off the back of a mess (see Harry Redknapp). And look what he has to work with - Matt Doherty and Ryan Sessegnon as his wing-backs, Son, Moura, Alli, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Alderweireld, Berwijn, Reguilon, Lloris, Rodon and c. £100 million of Kane money. Expectations have been lowered with a 7th place finish. Post-Kane, Spurs' Prem ambition will surely be 7th again and maybe a decent run in this new Euro Conference competition as they transition away from Mourinho football.

Sorry for my second quote of yours this morning (in about 4 posts) but there's a lot to unpack in that:-

1. Traditionally English managers haven't proved themselves.
Sure there's all manner of reasons why that might be, one being the Alladycing of managerial appointments, holding back everyone else.
If an English manager with the right attitude, so not Smug Eddie, were able to punch above his level, he'd be like catnip to a top team.

2. TB doesn't demand Top 10 one day and sell the family silver the next.
I think one of our starters will leave, for big big money.
I'd be more surprised by two leaving than I would none.
Four that just isn't happening - never.

3. Matt Doherty and Ryan Sessegnon as his wing-backs, Son, Moura, Alli, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Alderweireld, Berwijn, Reguilon, Lloris, Rodon and c. £100 million of Kane money
That's a huge leap of faith to assume the Kane money is being reinvested.
Sure, Alderweireld & Lloris aside, that's an excellent but flawed (like only a Spurs team can be) start off point, but there's no way, absolutely no way, next season's goal is another 7th place.

They think they are a big 6 side.
They think they are a Champion League side.
So they think they are top 4.

Any manager being interviewed must be asking:-

'What are the expectations for next season?'
'Is Kane leaving?'
'How much of that money is being reinvested?'

They are still looking for a manager having interviewed at least 6 candidates.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Do you think Brighton spoke to his reps before he joined? ;)

Really hope all these stories are not true but the more it rumbles on the more uneasy I feel about it.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

It’s different if you’re from Sussex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Why are GPotts holiday plans not on NSC?

Why haven’t we deployed “our man in said location” to make contact for an update at the Buffet Station?

Have standards dropped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just open a web browser in incognito mode (Ctrl-Shift-N (Windows) or Command-Shift-N (macOS) ) and you'll be able to view as many times as you want :)

And there's your answer. If you won't pay for it, what kind of journalism do you expect? You skip one of their few revenue streams and expect Pulitzer Prize winning insight - and grumble when the reporting is weak, full of typos and the pages are covered in ads.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We've also got Wellbeck and McAllister........................

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And there's your answer. If you won't pay for it, what kind of journalism do you expect? You skip one of their few revenue streams and expect Pulitzer Prize winning insight - and grumble when the reporting is weak, full of typos and the pages are covered in ads.

Chicken and egg though, innit?

Andy Naylor jumped ship for a new, quality first, subscription based brand that had no baggage because I suspect he saw that as the future. That's different to suddenly putting the same old shit behind a paywall. I stopped buying the printed Argus way before the internet took over our lives because it was all cats up trees, right wing OpEds and Adam Trimmingham.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To quote Donald Rumsfeld... There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Brighton & Hove Albion under Tony Bloom appears to mostly operate under the last two sentences - and that's probably true of most of the professional commentators and pundits that report on the club, let alone the army of ITKs that populate social media. And it's all fine because that's the way of the digital world.

I think you've even included the original error in your Rumsfeld quotation there :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here