Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter to Palace

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think it’s more likely, especially as he’s already turned down Leicester.
They're not top-tier enough for him. Potter operates on a different plane these days.

Plus I'm not sure he could handle the weekly status report from Lineker on MOTD.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I don't think us outsiders realise how the whole experience at the Bridge has not only affected him but football's perception of him?

I don't think he will take a job this season, imagine if he went to Leicester or West Ham, perhaps Forest and got relegated?

He will probably take a job in the summer, but has to be straight out of the traps, if he has a bad start you can almost hear it now, "was shit at Chelsea and nothings changed"

He may have a few quid now, good luck to him, but there's a lot resting on the next 9 months for him

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I think he will go to Palace.

Right now you have a supremely tight relegation battle and Potter basically wants nothing to do with it- he also doesn’t want to be in the Championship next season and that means any club at risk of being relegated is already a no for the time being. Potter has enough stock to go into pretty much any Premier League side below Chelsea at the moment, and I think he’ll base it on which clubs he thinks there is enough of a project.

Palace in my eyes makes sense because there was some ambition to try a new system under Vieira and there are a lot of young players in that squad. Potter would have a smaller side to work with which is more his comfort zone- Palace would in exchange get a manager who has proven to work well with limited resource and get teams playing good football. I also think going to Palace means Potter doesn’t have to move home and he has time to consolidate his position.

Obviously Palace have to actually stay up- but if the Leicester win is a signal of Palace’s fortunes improving there is more certainty and thus enough time for Parish to approach and negotiate terms with Potter, who I think will be keen to turn over a new leaf with a full transfer window and a preseason.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't think us outsiders realise how the whole experience at the Bridge has not only affected him but football's perception of him?

I don't think he will take a job this season, imagine if he went to Leicester or West Ham, perhaps Forest and got relegated?

He will probably take a job in the summer, but has to be straight out of the traps, if he has a bad start you can almost hear it now, "was shit at Chelsea and nothings changed"

He may have a few quid now, good luck to him, but there's a lot resting on the next 9 months for him
At Brighton and Chelsea he’s had a taste of exceptional training facilities within driving distance from home, enabling his family to stay put. Does he have the ambition to uproot his family to further his career?

In Bloom he had an ideal Chairman/owner. He’ll struggle to get anywhere close to that.

We’ll find out how ambitious and hungry he really is and I’m sure chairman/owners won’t be too impressed by a manager who only wants to manage a club with an easy commute so his Mrs can teach Pilates on Hove seafront.

I think he’ll sit tight, with regrets and some guilt, and will be happy to be out of the spotlight for a few months.

I wonder how his former colleagues are feeling at Chelsea, abandoned knowing one false move and they get the sack and no compo.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Yep. Succeed at the next job and it's Chelsea that were the problem. Fail at the next one too and it's him. Especially as Chelsea will have sorted themselves out by then. Southampton seems like a very Potter kind of project - good youth setup, in need of a Messiah, haven't won anything for approx. forever so fans will have patience you'd think. He'll make it a success and restore his reputation to take on an Arteta-at-Arsenal like project in the future perhaps at a bigger club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They're not top-tier enough for him. Potter operates on a different plane these days.

Plus I'm not sure he could handle the weekly status report from Lineker on MOTD.
Southampton will be in the Championship, so not covered on MOTD. I can't see them staying up.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have no idea whether Potter would consider going to Palace, or whether Palace would consider Potter.

What I do suspect, is that if it did happen, it would add a whole new dimension to the Brighton-Palace rivalry.
Because of this I rather doubt he would take the poison chalice at Selhurst without moving away from Brighton because of his kids.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Right now you have a supremely tight relegation battle and Potter basically wants nothing to do with it- he also doesn’t want to be in the Championship next season and that means any club at risk of being relegated is already a no for the time being. Potter has enough stock to go into pretty much any Premier League side below Chelsea at the moment, and I think he’ll base it on which clubs he thinks there is enough of a project.

Palace in my eyes makes sense because there was some ambition to try a new system under Vieira and there are a lot of young players in that squad. Potter would have a smaller side to work with which is more his comfort zone- Palace would in exchange get a manager who has proven to work well with limited resource and get teams playing good football. I also think going to Palace means Potter doesn’t have to move home and he has time to consolidate his position.

Obviously Palace have to actually stay up- but if the Leicester win is a signal of Palace’s fortunes improving there is more certainty and thus enough time for Parish to approach and negotiate terms with Potter, who I think will be keen to turn over a new leaf with a full transfer window and a preseason.
superficially may be some intent. but their decision to bin Vieira, then appoint Hodgson, shows a club without any comittment to a strategy or vision. i dont see Potter going there regardless of our history.

Stumpy Tim

The Viera experience makes me think he won't go to Palace. One bad run against some top half teams and Viera was sacked. Potter can't work under those circumstances

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Before he went to Chelsea I thought Spurs would be an ideal job for him if he was to move to a "bigger" club but I don't think they will take the risk on him now unless they end up in a situation like in 2021 when they tried to poach him when they ended up being rejected by a fair few people before getting Nuno Espirito Santo.
I think West Ham would be the most likely option though.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Easy win for him at the fans forum when he states he wants to beat "fxxxing Brighton".

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
One thing in his favor is that he is a good football manager. Is he a good player manager we don't know but he did struggle with the egos at Chelsea. Big players who were at the club before him. He would also need time to get a team playing his tactics, not something that happens in a month or seven.
A big club would want instant success so eliminate the top 6. He wants EPL so eliminate bottom 4. Oh, and eliminate Brighton as well.
Finally eliminate clubs with no recruitment policy. Everton just throw money away, not his style.
That leaves a few mid table clubs where he could build a team on a budget and start afresh. At a guess I'd say West Ham, Wolves, Leeds, Palace, Fulham, Brentford (especially Brentford) and Villa. All these clubs expect nothing more than mid table finishes each year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here