Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter returning vs Murray returning

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Because Graham Potter did a decent enough job managing a mid-sized Premier league club from 16th - 9th over 3 seasons. He then failed at a club that Pocchetino is currently failing at, and which Tuchel was sacked from after winning the Champions League. The guy who took over from Potter also had a far worse record than he did in the following months. I don't see how anyone can hold the Chelsea job against him, it's a complete basket case that nobody seems to be able to sort out. I really can't see how anyone can argue that Potter isn't a reasonable mid-table Premier League Manager.

Glen Murray took until he was in his 30's to score a decent amount of goals at Championship level, and then finally hit a 1 in 4 record in the Premier League for a relegation battling club in his mid-30's. He is not a 'top footballer' by any stretch of the imagination. Jao Pedro isn't even a 'top footballer' yet, and he is already vastly superior to Murray and he's only 22. If Murray was anywhere near a 'top footballer', he wouldn't have been playing for us.
I’m not sure if we’re arguing or agreeing 🤔😁

el punal

How is it ridiculous?
Murray scored goals at every level he played at, including many in the Premier League in a team relying on it's defence.
And yes, I'm seriously suggesting that Potter isn't a Top Manager.
If he was, Chelsea would now be in the Champions League places. He is not at that level. Apart from us, he's managed a pub team in Sweden, a mid level Championship club and made a complete cock up of managing the team of a top level billion pound organisation.
He isn't at that level. Good luck to whoever ends up with him next.
I think you’re being unfair on Potter. He did incredibly well in Sweden before taking over the reins at Swansea and got them playing some good stuff. Then of course he totally changed our style of football that had everyone purring. Yes, his decision to join Chelsea was a calamitous one - which in hindsight was accepting football’s biggest poisoned chalice. Promised the earth and was given sweet f*** all from the moment he arrived. Anyone taking over that crock of shit of a club would fail - as has been proven thus far.

How Potter fares in the future - who knows? Maybe a gig abroad to resurrect his career could prove interesting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But my point is that he may not be in charge for long. He’s looking for a bigger club, I can’t blame him that’s life. I’m looking for a bit of stability and not all the infuriating will he won’t he stay stuff.
Don't think you'll get it to be honest, the club we are dictates that any success is wedded to bigger clubs circling and picking off talent.

No such thing as stability in football especially when successful (or unsuccessful I suppose). Maybe mediocrity could bring you stability but who wants that?

Edit: actually we have the one of the most stable and sensible owners in the business and CEO who has just signed a six year deal. That's the kind of stability we need!

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I’m not sure if we’re arguing or agreeing 🤔😁
Ha. Well I'm not saying Potter is a top manager. But I am saying Murray wasn't a top footballer- I think the two are comparable in their ability / achievements.

But if I'm completely honest, I can't actually remember why, or how this conversation came about.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In a way I’m saying I don’t want another season like this where the manager is being linked to every top team and we’ve all got that dread feeling. I don’t know how we stop being a stepping stone team but I thought potter was good for us and would provide some stability as it’s unlikely any other “top team” would have him. And I’m sure he’s probably progressed his playing style in the mean time, I’ve not forgotten the winless streaks but I’m prepared to forgive (not forget though).
If it bothers you THAT much, why don't you just ignore it (or at least TRY to) and concentrate on the football, rather than all the noise around it?

At the end of the day, no-one REALLY knows what goes on behind closed doors, how close the relationship between the manager and owner is or what each one is thinking about the other. So, at best, take everything you see, hear and read with a pinch of salt.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Sorry but Potter might have taken us to our highest ever finish, to date at that time, but he was also extremely fortunate.

On at least three occasions he could have been sacked.

The 11 games without a win, okay 8 of them were draws, but it was dross at times.

5 straight defeats on the bounce, only halted by a draw at relegation haunted Norwich.

Not forgetting the Sheff Utd game in lockdown on the Sunday, 1-0 down at home top team who hadn't won all season and the camera panned to Potter and he looked totally shellshocked and clueless.

And the piste de resistance his 'unique' EPL record of failing to beat all three of the relegated teams, home or away, Fulham, Sheff Utd and Norwich.

So its a no from me, if it happens I won't have a hissy fit and start returning season tickets, I will bide my time as it won't last that long.......
Absolutely this. We ended the 21/22 season unbelievably strongly, getting 17/24 points from our last 8 games. That's 33% of our total points tally in just 21% of games. had Potter been able to consistently get results like this we would have finished 3rd with 81 points.

Wolves who started that final run of 8 games in 8th with 46 points only gained 5 points from their remaining fixtures. We started that run 12 points behind them. Completely aside to anything the Albion were doing, they imploded. They should've finished ahead of us.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great run, and very exciting at the time but we burst from looking like we'd amble to a 15th place finish to hitting a bit of form and just about making the top ten. We were still two wins off of competing with West Ham for a Conference League place and still finished with a negative goal difference.

A lot fell into place for Potter in that run that was out of his control. He did well and it was a fun run, but it was also just a run.

In contrast, the Albion spent 76% of last season in the top 7, and never once dropped below 9th. No late flourish to leapfrog teams, just a consistently higher output from the team led by RDZ. And on top of it all, the 5th best goal difference in the league (+19).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Absolutely this. We ended the 21/22 season unbelievably strongly, getting 17/24 points from our last 8 games. That's 33% of our total points tally in just 21% of games. had Potter been able to consistently get results like this we would have finished 3rd with 81 points.

Wolves who started that final run of 8 games in 8th with 46 points only gained 5 points from their remaining fixtures. We started that run 12 points behind them. Completely aside to anything the Albion were doing, they imploded. They should've finished ahead of us.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great run, and very exciting at the time but we burst from looking like we'd amble to a 15th place finish to hitting a bit of form and just about making the top ten. We were still two wins off of competing with West Ham for a Conference League place and still finished with a negative goal difference.

A lot fell into place for Potter in that run that was out of his control. He did well and it was a fun run, but it was also just a run.

In contrast, the Albion spent 76% of last season in the top 7, and never once dropped below 9th. No late flourish to leapfrog teams, just a consistently higher output from the team led by RDZ. And on top of it all, the 5th best goal difference in the league (+19).
We started the following season superbly as well. We were in 4th when he left after we took Leicester apart in that 5-2. I think things had finally clicked for him, and we were going to have a great season under him. Perhaps not quite as good as we did under RDZ, but I'm sure he would have improved on his 9th place finish the previous season.

Mar 8, 2024
Gary O'Neil
Rob Edwards
Kieran McKenna
Russell Martin
Will Still
Francesco Farioli
Julien Stéphan
Daniel Sousa
Rui Borges

I'm not saying any of those will be on our shortlist if/when RDZ goes (although Farioli is likely to be of interest i reckon) but there are plenty of decent young coaches out there as that small selection shows.

There is no need to go back to Graham Potter. The second tenures of both Alan Mullery and Micky Adams are enough to prove the phrase never go back.
Add to that

Thiago Motta
Ruben Amorim
Seb Hoeness
Enzo Maresca
Michel
Frank Haise
Arne Slot
Peter Bosz
Liam Rosenior

Granted not perhaps all ready at this point, but shows theres plenty of alternatives to Potter again

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Name a few…..

Whilst no random fan on an internet message board is going to have the data available that our recruitment team does.

Kjetil Knutsen - Turned Bodo/Glimt; a team with 0 league titles in their history in to the best team in Norway with 3 of the last 4 league titles and 326 league goals scored in that time (30 game seasons)

Sebastian Hoeness - Took Stuttgart from the relegation play-off to third in the Bundesliga. Averaging comfortably over 2 goals a game with a certain Deniz Undav shining for him.

They would be the most like-for-like replacements IMO. Then there’s the likes of Motta, Slot, McKenna etc. All preferable to Potter again.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Do I judge Potter on his time at Chelsea = No, the club is toxic, and hopefully will get flushed at some point.
Do I want Potter back at BHA = No, not because he's not a good manager but because he left us in the absolute shit, didn't look back, didn't care. RDZ 'could' have been another Hyypia and Potter wouldn't have lost a wink of sleep over it.
Murray = was an above average Championship striker who along with Zamora gave us the final push to get promoted. He then helped keep us up. He initially left because we didn't want to keep him (f*** off Gus), Palace wanted him, what we he supposed to do? He wasn't a household name at the time.

Garyoldfan = has anyone seen this poster and Swansman in the same room at the same time.....? I suppose it's not another thread about Steele, just another about Potter.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whilst no random fan on an internet message board is going to have the data available that our recruitment team does.

Kjetil Knutsen - Turned Bodo/Glimt; a team with 0 league titles in their history in to the best team in Norway with 3 of the last 4 league titles and 326 league goals scored in that time (30 game seasons)

Sebastian Hoeness - Took Stuttgart from the relegation play-off to third in the Bundesliga. Averaging comfortably over 2 goals a game with a certain Deniz Undav shining for him.

They would be the most like-for-like replacements IMO. Then there’s the
likes of Motta, Slot, McKenna etc. All preferable to Potter again.
Or Michel from the top of my list. Got Girona from the Spanish second division to the top four of the Premiera League and were top for a good while, all the time playing very attractive football and 4-2-3-1 in possession.

There are really quite a lot of very decent coaches out there. We've probably missed the boat on Michel and Amorim but Hoeness is a great shout and Knutsen was mentioned when Potter left.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
We started the following season superbly as well. We were in 4th when he left after we took Leicester apart in that 5-2. I think things had finally clicked for him, and we were going to have a great season under him. Perhaps not quite as good as we did under RDZ, but I'm sure he would have improved on his 9th place finish the previous season.
It's hard to know if it had actually clicked though, because he left. The Leicester game was superb and I felt the same at the time but they ended up getting relegated with the third leakiest defence in the league. I don't think that anyone could've know that at the time to be fair.

It's also worth remembering that before the Leicester game we lost at Craven Cottage in what for me was Potter's worst performance as Brighton manager. It was a dreadful, depressing, performance and the scoreline should've been much bigger than 2-1.

Don't get me wrong - it really did feel different at the time, but maybe in hindsight it may not have been indicative of what was going to come under Potter. It may have just been a continuation of the long good run, long bad run pattern that we saw throughout his tenure.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
If it bothers you THAT much, why don't you just ignore it (or at least TRY to) and concentrate on the football, rather than all the noise around it?

At the end of the day, no-one REALLY knows what goes on behind closed doors, how close the relationship between the manager and owner is or what each one is thinking about the other. So, at best, take everything you see, hear and read with a pinch of salt.
That would totally kill the idea of a forum would it not ? (And you put 3 words in capitals, if you’d done 4 words it would have got personal 😡).

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

They would be the most like-for-like replacements IMO. Then there’s the likes of Motta, Slot, McKenna etc. All preferable to Potter again.
What's Jim Gannon up to?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That would totally kill the idea of a forum would it not ? (And you put 3 words in capitals, if you’d done 4 words it would have got personal 😡).
Not really, no. There are plenty of posters who seem to get on with NSC perfectly well without throwing their toys out of the pram. Or even letting relatively trivial things wind them up... :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But my point is that he may not be in charge for long. He’s looking for a bigger club, I can’t blame him that’s life. I’m looking for a bit of stability and not all the infuriating will he won’t he stay stuff.
We are never going to achieve the stability you crave if we don’t keep a squad together for more than a couple of seasons without selling the jewels. Top clubs don’t sell the jewels they build a winning squad over a few seasons so you can see the appeal for a manager to upgrade. We are basically an over achieving feeder platform for managers and players. A bad call and it may not over achieve who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here