[Albion] Potter out poll 29-12-2020

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter out or in

• Total voters

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Only thing ludicrous now appears to be some people’s lack of patience and appreciation of what was building.

Looking forward to [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]’s forthcoming piece in local news website regarding how he’s got it wrong.

This isn’t hindsight either. Performances have been consistently good, even results wise, we may not have won games but we don’t lose that many either. A lot have got it very wrong. Had you been in charge, you would have sacked an excellent progressive manager because you couldn’t appreciate what was building.

It made these boards a very sad place with the vitriol and negativity - I’m glad for the team they didn’t have to suffer getting boo’d at any point, that really would have been embarrassing.

I was taught once if you come across a major accident always ignore those making the most noise, like in life they are rarely the people you should pay the most attention to

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Always useful to have a record of those with no foresight or patience.

Only thing ludicrous now appears to be some people’s lack of patience and appreciation of what was building.

Mind boggling isn't it? There were quite a few of us who appreciated what Potter was doing and said quite explicitly that they were Potter In ... even if we were to be relegated.

The guy has absolutely transformed the team; that was clear last season and clear this season. And even if it goes pear-shaped now (I don't think it will), I'm still Potter In because there's a philosophy as to how the club should go forward and a comprehensive plan about how to do it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Looking forward to [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]’s forthcoming piece in local news website regarding how he’s got it wrong.

This isn’t hindsight either. Performances have been consistently good, even results wise, we may not have won games but we don’t lose that many either. A lot have got it very wrong. Had you been in charge, you would have sacked an excellent progressive manager because you couldn’t appreciate what was building.

It made these boards a very sad place with the vitriol and negativity - I’m glad for the team they didn’t have to suffer getting boo’d at any point, that really would have been embarrassing.

19 posts in 5 years, a keen NSC poster.

I'm recording for Latest TV tonight and will put my case across.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
19 posts in 5 years, a keen NSC poster.

I'm recording for Latest TV tonight and will put my case across.

No offence, but is there any chance you can put your thoughts on here as well, so I don't have to sit through all that cheapo Latest TV dross again? Including all the 'ITK' stuff from someone who clearly ISN'T ITK?

Cheers :thumbsup:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Firstly, fair play and respect to those that have changed their minds from Out to In. It always takes cojones to revise a position and retract a comment.

On the pitch, it's been a revelation to see that the defensive setpiece frailties have been addressed with those 4 successive clean sheets.

Credit has to go where it's due here with coaching and the players who've shown both skill and effort in equal measure.

Fans always have the right to criticize, but that comes with the obligation to praise where appropriate.

Potter's always had the team playing expansive stylish football that's been a joy to watch.

Now it seems that he's finally getting what he's deserved all along.

And we're all benefiting from that.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Fair enough.

What I would point to was a concern with regards results. Enough for 190 people to say that they felt enough was enough. We have also witnessed some decision making which it was perfectly reasonable to question. I know of many people who were bemused at the decision not to play a striker when we needed goals.

I'm not going to go on about any further as I made clear every time that I voted out that I was doing so with a heavy heart and based on - as you say in your post - results. I voted out after the Tottenham game because I felt I was witnessing a dead cat bounce as everyone rushed to a conclusion and as there was no fence option, felt it hypocritical to change my vote based upon one performance.

After the Liverpool game, with more consistency settling in, with a strong defence and with the increasing signs that our attacking play might result in goals that had alarmingly been missing for a long time, I've moved to 'in'.

I really don't see what the big problem is in voicing an opinion when it comes to a drop in results. One might argue, and I am not, that it would be remiss if there were not a percentage of supporters demanding a change.

Anyhow, I'm delighted it looks like it is coming good for GP (another thing I stressed every time I reluctantly voted out.) Perhaps this will satisfy you now and we can bring an end to proceedings.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji106]

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Fair enough.

What I would point to was a concern with regards results. Enough for 190 people to say that they felt enough was enough. We have also witnessed some decision making which it was perfectly reasonable to question. I know of many people who were bemused at the decision not to play a striker when we needed goals.

I'm not going to go on about any further as I made clear every time that I voted out that I was doing so with a heavy heart and based on - as you say in your post - results. I voted out after the Tottenham game because I felt I was witnessing a dead cat bounce as everyone rushed to a conclusion and as there was no fence option, felt it hypocritical to change my vote based upon one performance.

After the Liverpool game, with more consistency settling in, with a strong defence and with the increasing signs that our attacking play might result in goals that had alarmingly been missing for a long time, I've moved to 'in'.

I really don't see what the big problem is in voicing an opinion when it comes to a drop in results. One might argue, and I am not, that it would be remiss if there were not a percentage of supporters demanding a change.

Anyhow, I'm delighted it looks like it is coming good for GP (another thing I stressed every time I reluctantly voted out.) Perhaps this will satisfy you now and we can bring an end to proceedings.

Criticising a manager for individual match selections, approaches to certain games, tactics is one thing. Demanding his removal is quite another. I’m sure plenty of people voted No for his removal but weren’t happy with some of the decisions. Quite a leap to go from not sure or criticism to sacking.

I don’t think it’s just opinion either, it can seed a poison within a football club, it starts to spread. The negativity over Xmas was way out of proportion to league position, performances and even results.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Criticising a manager for individual match selections, approaches to certain games, tactics is one thing. Demanding his removal is quite another. I’m sure plenty of people voted No for his removal but weren’t happy with some of the decisions. Quite a leap to go from not sure or criticism to sacking.

I don’t think it’s just opinion either, it can seed a poison within a football club, it starts to spread. The negativity over Xmas was way out of proportion to league position, performances and even results.

I believe the poll was seeking for member's opinions. Are you suggesting that nobody should participate in such polls in the future? Is your ire in fact directed at those who started the polls? I'm not entirely sure what you are driving at?

Normally, if I'm asked my opinion on a chat room I tend to give an honest response. Would you like us all to say nothing? It would certainly make it easier for Bozza. My opinions, and you can read my posts in the in/out threads were always based on results and were always couched in language which made clear that I was sadly voting out.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I believe the poll was seeking for member's opinions. Are you suggesting that nobody should participate in such polls in the future? Is your ire in fact directed at those who started the polls? I'm not entirely sure what you are driving at?

Normally, if I'm asked my opinion on a chat room I tend to give an honest response. Would you like us all to say nothing? It would certainly make it easier for Bozza. My opinions, and you can read my posts in the in/out threads were always based on results and were always couched in language which made clear that I was sadly voting out.

Of course you’re entitled to your opinion. And you’re certainly not shy in making it, good on you for that. I think what the guy is getting at, is that perhaps your barometer for deciding a managers fate is incredibly short sighted.

As his post quote eloquently said, if you had your way back in December you’d have sacked Graham Potter as head coach of Brighton and Hove Albion.

Purely on results, with no regard to performances, how many long term improvement trends had been set in motion, disregard for players that have been improved, young players he had blooded, technical and tactical improvements, dominating possession and how we deserved to win many of our games. Nope. None of this mattered with you. You’d have sacked him based on short term results. And what a disastrous decision this would have been.

I’m assuming now you’ve come round and appreciate and back Potter. Again, fair enough, entitled to change your mind. But do you not look back at the way you castigated the manager and wanted him out and consider perhaps your assessment criteria is incorrect? Are there any lessons learned from this or do you stand by your assertion that he should have been sacked?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports