[Albion] Potter out poll 29-12-2020

Potter out or in

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just had a PM chat with one of our own about why I still support Potter.

The short version is this.

The owner wants to change the phenotype of the club. Either he won't let us splash out on a 40 mill striker or we can't find one. Neither scenario is Potter's fault and the owner will know this. I would imagine that avoiding relegation at all costs is not the owner's number one priority. Fulham bounced back with the manager in charge when they went down. Norwich a running away with the championship with he manager who took them down last season. If Tony is happy with the project and likes what he sees in Potter (this will include masses of stuff we supporters can never and will never see, including things like player discontent and disengagement) he won't sack him. From a neutral point of view (I have been pretending to be a neutral when watching the last 2 games - it's great fun - no pressure at all!) we are playing attractive football, good all over the pitch, but exceptional nowhere.

Bottom line, I'd be surprised if Bloom sacks Potter now (he may do, of course and if so, so be it). And if Potter is the man for Bloom, he's the man for me too. I shall not call for his head. That's all, really.

Apologies for biting the heads off one or two who are calling for Potter to be sacked. I might argue that if you have the right to say 'Potter out' I can say 'Potter outers out' but I ought to be a bit less rude about it. I would hope that, likewise, people might be a little less rude about our manager, while the owner appears to have confidence in him, too.

:thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Out BUT who'd replace him?

Unless we can get someone in as a class act MANAGER not Head Coach then why switch?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
A different option up front I agree with, and from what I understand GP would normally play with a big man up front - we dont have one. I just don't understand the "fight" bit. We have shown a number of times the capacity to fight back this season.. Liverpool, Palace, Sheff Utd, even Man Utd ..

But there has been a steady decline.

Sheff U was against 10 men after we went a goal down. Palace a local derby. Players can galvanise themselves for situations like that regardless of the manager. Its when they need real help and management in games like last night where Potter falls down.

As I said, he may turn this round, but last night was very very poor.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm still Potter in. You can see what he's trying to achieve and I'm still confident it will come good [emoji2369]

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The form going into the Covid break was abysmal, and he got a huge break in that when we resumed no fans were allowed. Imagine the pressure from the fans booing each week. I don't think they'd of responded well to additional pressure.

You’re not wrong there, but it’s the same covid conditions now and factually he DID keep us up. So it proved he can do a relegation battle.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just like Humpty Dumpty, I've fallen off the fence.
Out.
Meanwhile, the most expected moment last night was how Amazon would show the team. Arsenal first with defenders, midfield and attack. Then Brighton with 3 forwards but the commentator explaining none were actual strikers. Then they should have shown it how it was, a 5 5 0 formation.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
[QUaOTE=Solid at the back;9659662]The form going into the Covid break was abysmal, and he got a huge break in that when we resumed no fans were allowed. Imagine the pressure from the fans booing each week. I don't think they'd of responded well to additional pressure.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think our support might have helped to encourage and motivate the team.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting to see even Naylor is putting the boot in this morning.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Firstly, I said I wasn't sure about Allardyce but you can't pick and choose games to criticise him with. He got a draw against Liverpool two days ago.

Secondly, I didn't say I wanted any of those three to replace Potter, I said I'd rather have them as the club manager in the current circumstances. It is their character as managers which are key, not the way they play the game. All three are fighters, has Potter ever been in a relegation scrap? I don't want to see neanderthal football either but lightweight passing games with no end product pushed by a manager who is focused on theory isn't going to cut it here. I'd love to have a Wood or Mitrovic up front putting it about a bit rather than watch Maupay sulk his way round the pitch as well.

I am surprised at you so completely missing my point on this.

I apologise if I seemed to be obtuse. I am not quite sure, though, how preferring a manager like Dyche, Big Sam and Wilder instead of Potter as an abstract idea is any different from wishing we had Dyche, Big Sam or Wilder as a manager. However, accepting your point (I am very literal minded), I guess our main difference is that I trust the owner, and if he prefers things under Potter he will stick and not twist, even if we go down, and I support that. If, on the other hand, the owner thinks we must stay up at all costs then I would support that too. The owner certainly won't replace Potter with some foreign manager we have never heard of if the sole objective is to fire fight against relegation. As others have said, Potter has no experience of a relegation battle so any replacement must have the necessary experience. Who's available apart from Pards and Curbs?

Incidentally, others on this thread have noted how dreadful Potter sounds in interview. This was put to bed ages ago. Anyone still unaware should check out the 30 minute interview done with him recently which may still be on the iPlayer. I'd rather have his deliberate anodyne EL Wisty-ism when deflecting the asinine questions from elements of the media than someone like Maureen who happily digs players out during interviews, ruining some of them, with his eventual sacking owing to the players downing tools.

Anyway - exciting times. Transfer window opens soon. ???

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Seen some here arguing makes sense to keep Potter as he’ll be best bet to take us back up. I find that a laughable and scary proposition.

Could easily see us languishing mid to lower league with an exodus of our few players of real talent to balance books and left with the dross we’ve signed that will be on decent wages that no one will want to take off our books that Potter has show he can’t motivate already.

Potter out. And Ashworth should be worrying too as he’s allowed our first team squad to become horrifically unbalanced.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
There I was, happily sitting on the fence, not happy with recent events, but still a fan of Potterball, then I got smacked on the back by a huge "Arsenal Team Selection" shaped hand that finally knocked me off the fence into Potter-out land

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
New manager needed but has to be backed with money for forwards. Arrogant stance by the club in the summer to enter this season with less forwards than last year when it was so obviously our weak point. Barber was quoted in the Argus saying we were happy with what we had & didn’t need any one. This was after the window closed & before we signed Welbeck. Idiot

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
But there has been a steady decline.

Sheff U was against 10 men after we went a goal down. Palace a local derby. Players can galvanise themselves for situations like that regardless of the manager. Its when they need real help and management in games like last night where Potter falls down.

As I said, he may turn this round, but last night was very very poor.

Ok, But that does sound a little bit like when we fight back it has nothing to do with Potter, when we don't it's his fault.
Last night was poor for the goal we gave away. The first half wasn't poor in general I didn't think, but it was frustrating that we didn't really create a clear opening having gone a goal down, albeit Arsenal were better as well

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
New manager needed but has to be backed with money for forwards. Arrogant stance by the club in the summer to enter this season with less forwards than last year when it was so obviously our weak point. Barber was quoted in the Argus saying we were happy with what we had & didn’t need any one. This was after the window closed & before we signed Welbeck. Idiot
Honestly. Posts like this remind me why Covid spreads so easily. WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A WORLDWIDE PANDEMIC AND HAVE BEEN SINCE MARCH. NO FANS, NO GAZILLIONAIRE OWNER, NO EXCESS INCOME, DOING THE RIGHT THING AND PAYING STAFF WITH NO GOVERNMENT SUPPORT . Do you honestly expect Barber to to say anything else? Do you honestly think we have millions to blow on the type of forwards who could make a real difference?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here