Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter out or in

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Deluded" Fan here. I tend to support the incumbent Albion manager through thick and thin, borne out of a strong desire to to see him succeed - I was sad to see CH go and at the time concerned at the appointment of a manager for whom the PL was a new experience. I was bowled over by GP impact on the side and a record points tally to boot last season. I also believe that any individual, regardless of their wages, perform better in a positive/supportive environment rather than a critical/aggressive one. Supportive doesn't mean without criticism, it means creating an environment whereby individuals can look honestly at mistakes and try to improve on them. I think this is the rhetoric that I hear from GP, I buy into that.
I also buy into the fact that as a Club, to thrive (Relatively) in the PL will need a production line of talent that we can sell and reinvest, creating revenues to buy the odd top class player, punctuated with youth and players who can do a job. Our squad right now is "strong" in that we have a level that is not compromised that much by changes. What we don't have yet is the quality that accelerates us beyond that - Lallana and Welbeck are the hopes, but they are affordable only because they come with risks. (I am surprised that so many people believe that Welbeck was ever realistcally going to play within 48 hours of the previous game with his injury record). We cannot start to buy that talent until we sell. I would love us to stay in the PL this season but I don't believe that staying up at all costs this season delivers any better hope of thriving in the PL than the strategy we have which of course incudes the threat of relegation.
If we were playing games and never looked like winning or creating chances I would be more worried. The narrative from just about all the neutral pundits is one that we play well, compete well but are undone by missing chances and individual errors giving goals away. Last night a good example (BDB too tight to Saka) , West Ham a good example. We score in nearly every game, we miss good chances, we concede in nearly every game. I don't believe that is just a symptom of the coaching - it happens all the time. John Stones, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings (FFS) Gomes are apparently the best this country has to offer, but all of them have mistakes in them. We don't have the firepower at the moment because none of our front players are "on fire". El Ghazi at Villa is on a streak at the moment. Wolves struggling without Jiminez. Bamford is on a hot streak, Arsenal have struggled without Aubamyang scoring. I think that we will start to score.. Maupay can do it - he's shown that. Welbeck can do it.. Trossard can do it.
Teams like Leicester and Southampton give me hope - but right now they have a Vardy and Ings. If we don't find that scoring streak, we can change the style.. but the critics will be out once again to suggest we are setting up "not to lose". People will argue but does it have to be one or the other? Reality is it probably does with our situation. I think we will do that on occasions in the games to come, but a change in manager would probably mean the end/delay in the longer-term plan. Benitez is one who keeps coming up.. He spent much of is latter years complaining about lack of spending and his team was pretty dull to watch - he forgot to remember the backing he got in the championship! Eddie Howe - success for few years but ultimately relegated. There may be other coaches abroad who can come and do a similar job, but I am not convinced there is one who can do a much better job in the context of the longer term plan. In the meantime, I think GP deserves my support to enable him to do the job he is being asked to do.
So deluded I may be, but it is not without any substance. By supporting GP I am not pretending all is right/rosy, I am not pretending I wasnt frustrated as hell at the last two results given the way that both games were going. But I can still see some positives that suggest there is more to come. My belief wasn't shaken by last night's match, performance. Despite the "odd/disasterous/ambitious" selection, we still could/should have taken something from the team who played Chelsea off the park and had an extra days recovery time. A team that has struggled to score goals whilst it tried to become more sound at the back, a team whose manager is under threat, because with the squad at this disposal, should be performing much better than they had been.
So there it is.. deluded/ignorant/daft/licker I fit the narrative for most of those, but its a perspective that I hold and am happy to offer up for your dissection!

Superb post. As a Potter fan I was reluctant to explain why I still support him but you have saved me the job :thumbsup:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Look, you want the manager sacked, fine. I don't (particularly). That doesn't make me deluded. If you are on a campaign to recruit a lynch mob, insulting anyone who refuses to join your gang is not the best strategy. Anyone who thinks it is, is a prick in my book. :shrug:

Calling someone deluded is not an insult. Calling someone a prick is. Calling someone a prick because they've got a different opinion to your own is a bit immature, really.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What a depressing thread. Dozens of people who rarely post calling for the manager's sacking. Most of the posts properly punctuated and grammatically reasonable. Many of them not abusive to Potter, just exasperated.

I recall that when Potter was appointed there was an acceptance that the culture of the club had to change, even if it meant a period back in the Championship. I was prepared to accept this in preference to the perpetual U shaped formation, the 'down the side and round the back, up and down the side and round the back' dance favoured by Hughton.

It seems that the general view now is that if we do get relegated it will kill the club, attendances (post Covid) will drop to half what they were when we were in the Championship previously (14-16 thousand), all the decent players will leave (Lampty and Bissouma), and we will start on that long slide down the leagues, eventually having to sell the stadium for development.

Consequently, following this new narrative, we have to stay up at any costs. Maybe I'm in a small minority but where does this narrative come from? I even read on this thread, when alternatives to Potter were mooted, how underrated Big Sam is. This was posted after WBA's home game against The Leeds. Extraordinary.

I understand the frustration, but large parts of the new narrative are unlikely to have any traction with the owner. First of all I'd be surprised if his view is that we must stay up at all costs. Second, I doubt that he thinks the quality of football is worse than under Hughton and on a par with the Hyppia miasma. And it is what the owner thinks that counts so a large number of posters on this thread may have to face disappointment. I fear they won't do so with good grace, however, which is sad.

If I'm wrong I'd expect to see Potter replaced in the next few days so we can make proper use of the transfer window.

We shall see. I am not remotely interested in persuading anyone to change their mind because if staying up is indeed the be all and end all, Potter probably should be sacked now. The minority of noisy 'Potter is a prick' merchants will doubtless carry on until Potter is sacked. But be careful what you wish for. I don't really buy the idea that a manager may walk or be pushed because 'the fans made the situation untenable', but perhaps I'm wrong about that as well. I'm the meantime I'm still 'in'.

Happy New Year, Albion supporters everywhere :thumbsup:

For me personally, the above comment is sewing in a new narrative here. I agree with you that if we do go down then it is far from the end of the club and anyone pedalling this hyperbole needs to take a long hard look at themselves. I also think it is far from a foregone conclusion that we will go down.

That said though, our current manager has had long enough to start to get results. Funds have been made available and we have to assume that he has been able to influence purchases that have been made. With that in mind, we are not seeing results on the pitch.

Looking further than just the 'games won narrative', it is great to see that we are creating chances and holding and passing the ball more than other teams and in other circumstances I would say this points to a positive future and be tempted to shout Potter IN. But it is the nature of our chances. They are all pretty weak. Our finishers are not being trained in how to finish. Our possession is all in areas that are nowhere near the danger areas. For me the coaching is lacking and that is why I look for changes to be made now. I really can't see how keeping the status quo is going to do anything other than keep yielding the same results.

We are either the unluckiest team in the whole Premier League or something is wrong. I know Tony Bloom doesn't believe in luck.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
"Deluded" Fan here. I tend to support the incumbent Albion manager through thick and thin, borne out of a strong desire to to see him succeed - I was sad to see CH go and at the time concerned at the appointment of a manager for whom the PL was a new experience. I was bowled over by GP impact on the side and a record points tally to boot last season. I also believe that any individual, regardless of their wages, perform better in a positive/supportive environment rather than a critical/aggressive one. Supportive doesn't mean without criticism, it means creating an environment whereby individuals can look honestly at mistakes and try to improve on them. I think this is the rhetoric that I hear from GP, I buy into that.
I also buy into the fact that as a Club, to thrive (Relatively) in the PL will need a production line of talent that we can sell and reinvest, creating revenues to buy the odd top class player, punctuated with youth and players who can do a job. Our squad right now is "strong" in that we have a level that is not compromised that much by changes. What we don't have yet is the quality that accelerates us beyond that - Lallana and Welbeck are the hopes, but they are affordable only because they come with risks. (I am surprised that so many people believe that Welbeck was ever realistcally going to play within 48 hours of the previous game with his injury record). We cannot start to buy that talent until we sell. I would love us to stay in the PL this season but I don't believe that staying up at all costs this season delivers any better hope of thriving in the PL than the strategy we have which of course incudes the threat of relegation.
If we were playing games and never looked like winning or creating chances I would be more worried. The narrative from just about all the neutral pundits is one that we play well, compete well but are undone by missing chances and individual errors giving goals away. Last night a good example (BDB too tight to Saka) , West Ham a good example. We score in nearly every game, we miss good chances, we concede in nearly every game. I don't believe that is just a symptom of the coaching - it happens all the time. John Stones, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings (FFS) Gomes are apparently the best this country has to offer, but all of them have mistakes in them. We don't have the firepower at the moment because none of our front players are "on fire". El Ghazi at Villa is on a streak at the moment. Wolves struggling without Jiminez. Bamford is on a hot streak, Arsenal have struggled without Aubamyang scoring. I think that we will start to score.. Maupay can do it - he's shown that. Welbeck can do it.. Trossard can do it.
Teams like Leicester and Southampton give me hope - but right now they have a Vardy and Ings. If we don't find that scoring streak, we can change the style.. but the critics will be out once again to suggest we are setting up "not to lose". People will argue but does it have to be one or the other? Reality is it probably does with our situation. I think we will do that on occasions in the games to come, but a change in manager would probably mean the end/delay in the longer-term plan. Benitez is one who keeps coming up.. He spent much of is latter years complaining about lack of spending and his team was pretty dull to watch - he forgot to remember the backing he got in the championship! Eddie Howe - success for few years but ultimately relegated. There may be other coaches abroad who can come and do a similar job, but I am not convinced there is one who can do a much better job in the context of the longer term plan. In the meantime, I think GP deserves my support to enable him to do the job he is being asked to do.
So deluded I may be, but it is not without any substance. By supporting GP I am not pretending all is right/rosy, I am not pretending I wasnt frustrated as hell at the last two results given the way that both games were going. But I can still see some positives that suggest there is more to come. My belief wasn't shaken by last night's match, performance. Despite the "odd/disasterous/ambitious" selection, we still could/should have taken something from the team who played Chelsea off the park and had an extra days recovery time. A team that has struggled to score goals whilst it tried to become more sound at the back, a team whose manager is under threat, because with the squad at this disposal, should be performing much better than they had been.
So there it is.. deluded/ignorant/daft/licker I fit the narrative for most of those, but its a perspective that I hold and am happy to offer up for your dissection!

Great post and well said buddy for having the balls to speak up.

I fear fewer and fewer of us who will do that now due to the abuse for not going along with group think.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I guess you missed yesterday's result:

WBA 0, The Leeds 5

If not, I'd love to know why you'd give Big Sam the benefit of the doubt and not Potter. I suppose you will say that despite the neanderthal football and the odd crushing defeat he has a track record of keeping sides in the top flight, by hook or by crook.

I suppose you have a point.

As for the other three, only Dyche has a better record in the top flight than Potter. Parker already has a relegation on his CV, and Dyche has gone from miracle worker to record-breaking low points achiever.

I'd be interested to see if you feel the same way later today.

I'd not be surprised to see Potter sacked this week but I'd like to think the owner has someone a bit classier than your gang of four lined up to replace him.

Firstly, I said I wasn't sure about Allardyce but you can't pick and choose games to criticise him with. He got a draw against Liverpool two days ago.

Secondly, I didn't say I wanted any of those three to replace Potter, I said I'd rather have them as the club manager in the current circumstances. It is their character as managers which are key, not the way they play the game. All three are fighters, has Potter ever been in a relegation scrap? I don't want to see neanderthal football either but lightweight passing games with no end product pushed by a manager who is focused on theory isn't going to cut it here. I'd love to have a Wood or Mitrovic up front putting it about a bit rather than watch Maupay sulk his way round the pitch as well.

I am surprised at you so completely missing my point on this.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Net spend Last 5 years updated June 2020

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand it, wage budget is the crux of the issue.

But no mistake, the above is damning and shows we’ve squandered badly in the transfer market (in relation to short term performance at least).

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
This is the problem. We’ve spent lots of money, very badly (Lamptey apart).

Is "net spend" the best measure? We will always have high net spend until we start selling.. Liverpool have a lower net spend than us, but only because they sell players like Coutinho, for squillions. We have spent a lot of money to give us a squad that is relatively consistent in terms of ability - quantity. The next phase is to sell big and buy bigger than we have done - quality.
You highlight Lamptey, but we have also bought other decent players since arriving in the PL..

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Firstly, I said I wasn't sure about Allardyce but you can't pick and choose games to criticise him with. He got a draw against Liverpool two days ago.

Secondly, I didn't say I wanted any of those three to replace Potter, I said I'd rather have them as the club manager in the current circumstances. It is their character as managers which are key, not the way they play the game. All three are fighters, has Potter ever been in a relegation scrap? I don't want to see neanderthal football either but lightweight passing games with no end product pushed by a manager who is focused on theory isn't going to cut it here. I'd love to have a Wood or Mitrovic up front putting it about a bit rather than watch Maupay sulk his way round the pitch as well.

But then what happens next?

We stay up and are in the same scenario with the fire fighter manager. Do we always want to be like this or do we want to progress? Tony is trying to do the latter.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Look, you want the manager sacked, fine. I don't (particularly). That doesn't make me deluded. If you are on a campaign to recruit a lynch mob, insulting anyone who refuses to join your gang is not the best strategy. Anyone who thinks it is, is a prick in my book. :shrug:

Calling someone deluded is not an insult. Calling someone a prick is. Calling someone a prick because they've got a different opinion to your own is a bit immature, really.

Someone called me a **** on here last night all water off a ducks back really, although the chap may have a point.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Very gracious of you to give others the “floor”, and a “right to reply” :lolol:

Last night was painful for many reasons but I voted In for various reasons, none of them in themselves conclusive, all could be prodded and probed but in the round enough for me.

- These are fine margins, we are very close to getting results, the indexes show this, this should show through in games at some point
- Changing managers is extremely disruptive, you do it if you're confident results will materially improve. I am not confident it will if the club want to continue with this style of football, which i believe they do (we cant swing between the last year of Hughton and this every 18months)
- The results are not all the coaches, he works with the players given, we need to look at recruitment as well. We have a January transfer window open very shortly with two key areas needing recruitment, lets see what we get, it could transform results
- There is likely to be a covid break where our young manager can regroup
- TB is vested in this, he is both smart and i believe ruthless, there wont be sentiment in his decision making. If he is backing the manager then so am i, albeit with healthy skepticism and with challenge (i will leave that to other posts)

This is democracy, what our Grandfathers fought for on the battlefields of Europe and Asia, thank you for your response, clearly we share a common love of the Albion, but on this issue we will have to agree to differ, but without any abuse or name calling.

UTA

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
But then what happens next?

We stay up and are in the same scenario with the fire fighter manager. Do we always want to be like this or do we want to progress? Tony is trying to do the latter.

I didn't say I wanted a fire fighter manager.

What I said was that I wanted a manager with a bit more fight in them who could galvanise the players. I don't think Potter is the man to do that. Long term projects are all very well but I just don't understand how getting relegated would benefit us in any way at all after we've spent four seasons in the Premier League. How is that progress?

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

On what are you basing your judgement of "fight" . I just don't understand what Scot Parker does that suggest he is a "fighter" any more than GP?
I guess it can only be based on touch-line demeanour or their style as players themselves? You highlight two physical players - is that the definition of fight? Mitrovic is hardly scoring, and Wood has just broken something like a 15 match run without a goal. What would having those in the team offer on the goal scoring front other than a different option? I struggle with the notion that if you are more physical/loud, you have more fight than someone who is less loud/physical.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What a depressing thread. Dozens of people who rarely post calling for the manager's sacking. Most of the posts properly punctuated and grammatically reasonable. Many of them not abusive to Potter, just exasperated.

I recall that when Potter was appointed there was an acceptance that the culture of the club had to change, even if it meant a period back in the Championship. I was prepared to accept this in preference to the perpetual U shaped formation, the 'down the side and round the back, up and down the side and round the back' dance favoured by Hughton.

It seems that the general view now is that if we do get relegated it will kill the club, attendances (post Covid) will drop to half what they were when we were in the Championship previously (14-16 thousand), all the decent players will leave (Lampty and Bissouma), and we will start on that long slide down the leagues, eventually having to sell the stadium for development.

Consequently, following this new narrative, we have to stay up at any costs. Maybe I'm in a small minority but where does this narrative come from? I even read on this thread, when alternatives to Potter were mooted, how underrated Big Sam is. This was posted after WBA's home game against The Leeds. Extraordinary.

I understand the frustration, but large parts of the new narrative are unlikely to have any traction with the owner. First of all I'd be surprised if his view is that we must stay up at all costs. Second, I doubt that he thinks the quality of football is worse than under Hughton and on a par with the Hyppia miasma. And it is what the owner thinks that counts so a large number of posters on this thread may have to face disappointment. I fear they won't do so with good grace, however, which is sad.

If I'm wrong I'd expect to see Potter replaced in the next few days so we can make proper use of the transfer window.

We shall see. I am not remotely interested in persuading anyone to change their mind because if staying up is indeed the be all and end all, Potter probably should be sacked now. The minority of noisy 'Potter is a prick' merchants will doubtless carry on until Potter is sacked. But be careful what you wish for. I don't really buy the idea that a manager may walk or be pushed because 'the fans made the situation untenable', but perhaps I'm wrong about that as well. I'm the meantime I'm still 'in'.

Happy New Year, Albion supporters everywhere :thumbsup:

You and others have correctly identified the two extremes ie the ‘stay up at all costs’ brigade who are willing to ditch any manager who looks like not doing so and the ‘Potter in at all costs’ mob who see everything in terms of a master plan. There is a third constituency of which I am a part and it is one that should worry the club. I am not particularly bothered by relegation. I understand that it may actually be a necessary part of the trajectory towards becoming an established PL club. I buy into the long term plan and admire Potter’s faith in young players from the academy and elsewhere. My problem is that I do not think Potter is the correct person to be executing the plan. The point of a long term cultural shift at the club is that it should not be dependent upon one particular manager/coach. They are interchangeable so a decision has to be made basis the abilities displayed and the evidence against Potter is damning: constant tinkering with the team, players out of position, failure to counter tactical changes made by opposition managers, failure to correct the same errors made over and over again, a clear loss of confidence amongst the players that has resulted in sterile, walking football and an inevitable difficulty in breaking down the opposition. I don’t have an alternative manager to suggest but I would think that Tony is at least ‘war gaming’ different scenarios. As Hughton found out, the plan is everything, the identity of the manager is transient.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You and others have correctly identified the two extremes ie the ‘stay up at all costs’ brigade who are willing to ditch any manager who looks like not doing so and the ‘Potter in at all costs’ mob who see everything in terms of a master plan. There is a third constituency of which I am a part and it is one that should worry the club. I am not particularly bothered by relegation. I understand that it may actually be a necessary part of the trajectory towards becoming an established PL club. I buy into the long term plan and admire Potter’s faith in young players from the academy and elsewhere. My problem is that I do not think Potter is the correct person to be executing the plan. The point of a long term cultural shift at the club is that it should not be dependent upon one particular manager/coach. They are interchangeable so a decision has to be made basis the abilities displayed and the evidence against Potter is damning: constant tinkering with the team, players out of position, failure to counter tactical changes made by opposition managers, failure to correct the same errors made over and over again, a clear loss of confidence amongst the players that has resulted in sterile, walking football and an inevitable difficulty in breaking down the opposition. I don’t have an alternative manager to suggest but I would think that Tony is at least ‘war gaming’ different scenarios. As Hughton found out, the plan is everything, the identity of the manager is transient.

This...:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Alright. I apologise. I do take offense at being tarred as deluded, though. Perhaps I shouldn't. All the best.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
On what are you basing your judgement of "fight" . I just don't understand what Scot Parker does that suggest he is a "fighter" any more than GP?
I guess it can only be based on touch-line demeanour or their style as players themselves? You highlight two physical players - is that the definition of fight? Mitrovic is hardly scoring, and Wood has just broken something like a 15 match run without a goal. What would having those in the team offer on the goal scoring front other than a different option? I struggle with the notion that if you are more physical/loud, you have more fight than someone who is less loud/physical.

Did we look remotely like scoring after we went one down last night?

If we just want to keep playing the same way as we did last night, we are going down. That's fine if we all don't care about this because we have a long term project which will ultimately make us Champions of Europe but I for one would like to see us stay up under a manger who can galvanise the team rather than sleepwalk into relegation.

And I think a different option would be good at the moment because we don't seem to have one. Potter has never been in this situation before in his managerial career and after watching us last night, I don't have a lot of confidence. This may be unfair and he may turn it round but I don't like what I see at the moment. Sure it may not work but at least try because the way he is managing the team at the moment simply isn't working.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

This. I'm in the 'out' camp because if we do not make a change, when we go down this season (and we will), Potter will not be able to get us up. We will languish around mid table, playing the same, slow, boring, predictable football. Whilst "learning" the entire time. I'm sure that's it in Tony's plan.

Potter isn't able to get anything out of these players, he's got about as much charisma as a limp lettuce. Trots out the same stuff after every game. Banging on about learning all the time. If we'd learnt anything under him we'd of started to see it by now. The players have lost all confidence, yet come out with the same shit every week, "we will fight to turn this around" - bloody prove it then! I can't see any fight in this team, and certainly none that would help in a relegation scrap.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Did we look remotely like scoring after we went one down last night?

If we just want to keep playing the same way as we did last night, we are going down. That's fine if we all don't care about this because we have a long term project which will ultimately make us Champions of Europe but I for one would like to see us stay up under a manger who can galvanise the team rather than sleepwalk into relegation.

And I think a different option would be good at the moment because we don't seem to have one. Potter has never been in this situation before in his managerial career and after watching us last night, I don't have a lot of confidence. This may be unfair and he may turn it round but I don't like what I see at the moment. Sure it may not work but at least try because the way he is managing the team at the moment simply isn't working.

A different option up front I agree with, and from what I understand GP would normally play with a big man up front - we dont have one. I just don't understand the "fight" bit. We have shown a number of times the capacity to fight back this season.. Liverpool, Palace, Sheff Utd, even Man Utd ..

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Potter isn't able to get anything out of these players, he's got about as much charisma as a limp lettuce. Trots out the same stuff after every game. Banging on about learning all the time. If we'd learnt anything under him we'd of started to see it by now. The players have lost all confidence, yet come out with the same shit every week, "we will fight to turn this around" - bloody prove it then! I can't see any fight in this team, and certainly none that would help in a relegation scrap.

Yet he kept us up in his first season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports