Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter out poll 29-12-2020

Potter out or in

• Total voters

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
A few hours have passed and I am in bed unable to sleep because I am still angry. I have defended potter (especially to my mates who have laughed at my “the wins will come” line) but that selection tonight made me furious. If he selects burn to mark traore then I am going to say he is trolling. Picking Ali J and Alexis together was just dumb. Swiss andi might not be brilliant but at least he is different to two slow small men who are not very fast! Picking one of them would be fine but both? Daft.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Voted in, but by god he’s making it hard. I only hope no strikers was a way of saying ‘buy me a striker’. We need Tau, Moder and Karbo in now, plus probably two more: a fast winger (Daniel James) and a proper striker (Edouard/Dia/Dembele) early in January.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Do we?

I know you’re a Hughton fan or related to him, but I don’t agree with this. For my money we have no striker currently on our books as effective for us as Glenn was.

That’s a failing of recruitment right there.

Well is it a failing of recruitment or the transfer committee (Bloom, Ashworth, Potter)? Winstanley identified two strikers to sign this summer and on both we failed to meet the demands of the selling club. Both Dia and Nunez are having great seasons (one is second top scorer in ligue 1 only behind Mbappe and the other has 5 in 5 in the Europa League). The three people who make the final decisions on the playing squad decided we didn’t need to spend money on a striker and we’re happy to get rid of our most reliable one.

In actuality we’ve outscored seven other clubs so far and conceded less than four. That means when we score goals, we also concede. That is a mental coaching issue and one that hasn’t improved under Potter. If anything it’s getting worse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But any manager worth their salt in this league has praised us to the high heavens whilst taking three points off us.

I do hate that, especially the bit where some NSC’ers get rather excited that Guardiola or others have praised us after another crushing win.

Must be a modern thing in the game.

Supporters used to hate being outplayed and beaten, it ruined their day.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
To my way of thinking he was either doing one of two things with his selection of players for the Arsenal game.

One: He was gesturing to the heirachy that they failed to get the forwards he'd been asking for, therefore this is how this plays out guys, SACK me or bleeding BACK me FFS.

or...

Two: I've given up and I want to leave with my contract paid up, if you don't I'll keep picking rubbish teams like this bizarre selection I made.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Do we?

I know you’re a Hughton fan or related to him, but I don’t agree with this. For my money we have no striker currently on our books as effective for us as Glenn was.

That’s a failing of recruitment right there.

Aside from the fact that Glenn was a good player, the reason that he was so effective is because we played to his strengths and Hughton got the most out of him.

Potter did not want to play that style, which is why Glenn didn't play much last year and then was moved on this summer.

As for the strikers we have signed under Potter, presumably he wanted Maupay and Welbeck but he has not got the most out of them.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
He has to go. Tired of his lame ass excuses after every match. He comes across as spineless and a walk over.

Shipped out Andone sharpish. Dropped and didn't play Murray and Duffy, then shipped them out aswell as Locadia. Dropped Ryan (from the squad completely it seems). Dropped Maupay. This doesn't strike me as walk-over or spineless behaviour!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Shipped out Andone sharpish. Dropped and didn't play Murray and Duffy, then shipped them out aswell as Locadia. Dropped Ryan (from the squad completely it seems). Dropped Maupay. This doesn't strike me as walk-over or spineless behaviour!

I meant more listening to the same post match sound bites every week. Lads are working well in training, unlucky this week . . . always the same. He looks a beaten man who’s run out of ideas. Needs to call a few players out in public.

Fair point on those players. Some were too old, didn’t fit the style of play and a few started believing their egos (club should have spotted that in the ‘no dickheads’ policy).

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I’ve not looked but who are the alternatives? Give him enough to buy a goal scorer and let’s think again in the summer

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Potter's usual post match interview about as interesting as watching Stoke City under Tony Pullis.
Bring in Benitez he would take us to the next level.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I’ve not looked but who are the alternatives? Give him enough to buy a goal scorer and let’s think again in the summer

How much do you want then?
£20m won't be enough. It buys you a one in four/five striker at Pl level. We can't afford any more than that. The bigger clubs splash £50 - £60m on strikers and get the return. Its not the answer. If you haven't got creativity and good delivery into the box, then no striker on earth is going to rescue you.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agree re Locadia and AJ. Think we've been badly burned by those transfers. I like the style of recruitment with players like Lamptey, but I think it needs reinforced with some top quality players. Could another manager do better? Very probably, but sacking Potter gives us the task of replacing him, which would be very arduous at this time in the season. For me though, it comes down to the fact that, as much as I love Tony and am eternally grateful for everything he's done, if we continue to underspend like this we will be relegated. Any manager would struggle with a squad when the only options to play left back in a flat back four are Burn or Bernardo, and the strikers are amongst some of the most inefficient in the league.

Potter has managed some 'ugly' results, Wolves away, Sheffield United away, Villa away this season to an extent, but at the end of the day you and I both know we'd be winning significantly more games if we had just one two players who had that little bit extra. Sack him now, and there's always that 'what if' question, what if he'd had proper funding to implement his style etc. We'll see in January if Bloom is willing to back him. If not, then maybe it is time to get someone in who can 'win ugly', as you put it, but at the end of the day that only prolongs the inevitable: relegation because the squad isn't good enough. And potentially at the cost of a manager with huge potential.

I’m about where you are, although Tony might argue money has been spent. It’s more that the money hasn’t been spent well. The two roads lead to the same destination though - a relatively weak squad.
I also do think there are managers available with a decent chance of keeping up and with a stronger track record than Potter.
Not that I want to see him sacked. In the short term just want to see....a bit more. The whole “nice guy” Potter thing is overstated - he is as ruthless as the next manager, and his media persona doesn’t necessarily reflect how he is with the team - but there is a softness to us as a team.
I don’t think flying in with crazy tackles is the answer. Maybe it is a mentality thing, but there’s a certain inevitability that we will find a way not to see a game out, even if we play well. Relegation fodder, in other words.

Last edited:

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
Brighton boss Graham Potter admits his side need to pick up more points at home, after they lose 1-0 against Arsenal.

No shit, give this man another contract extension.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The poll swung 40% from in to out in two days with only a 1-0 loss to arsenal being the difference

I would imagine a hell of a lot of people were still just giving him the benefit of the doubt and then the team news is delivered coupled with the performance has teetered them over the edge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here