Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter out poll 29-12-2020

Potter out or in

• Total voters

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agree with most of your sentiments, but you would accept relegation as you believe Potter would take us straight back up? really?

Getting p;romoted back from the Championship is an absolute lottery, plus think of all that lost revenue. The Premier League really is the only place to be, and we have to protect our status for as long as we possibly can.

No, I absolutely wouldn’t. But Im saying that is surely the only argument for keeping him.

The big BIG question is - will Tony let him take us down? The massively contract would suggest he will.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No, I absolutely wouldn’t. But Im saying that is surely the only argument for keeping him.

The big BIG question is - will Tony let him take us down? The massively contract would suggest he will.

The contract is meaningless. It will have a break clause or settlement fee built into it. Tony Bloom isn’t a mug.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Still in - yet again he has been let down by players not taking chances. No manager would alter that, Pep would be tearing his hair out (if he has any)

Potter could probably play the whole under 23 squad next weekend and lose 10-0 and still wont be sacked by TB I'm afraid. Potter needs to do the decent thing and maybe offer to resign or at least tell TB he wont expect another FIVE YEARS WAGES!!!! if he is sacked.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It's not just about results though.

Hopefully, surely, we will have enough about us to stay up.

What is crucial is that we develop our football philosophy to play like the best, while developing our youth players to become top players.

We are achieving both of those goals.

As long as we stay up this season, Potter has achieved all his goals and then some. We have an extremely promising squad, thanks to his management.

I'm sorry but football is as results business. Potter is paid to make the team win games.

Potter is taking us down. He has made Ben White go backwards.

He is failing, it's a shame as he's a nice bloke but he's not up to the job. The lottery wheel of lucky dip team selection shows he's out of his depth.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Also there has been investment, our first two seasons we relied on Glenn Murray! We have better strikers now...

Do we?

I know you’re a Hughton fan or related to him, but I don’t agree with this. For my money we have no striker currently on our books as effective for us as Glenn was.

That’s a failing of recruitment right there.

Here's another thought - players get rested when they are off form - how about resting Potter for a few games to take the pressure off him. Let our DoF pick the squad/strategy

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I'm fence leaning towards in!

I'm not sure he's doing anything wrong over all. We are playing very good football. The fact we can't finish isn't his fault.

But when we need goals I do wonder why we don't start with a recognised striker, Maupay is our best chance of goals but he was brought on too late. Also I don't see why Glen Murray couldn't do a job for us? It's not like we play fast attacking football and he wouldn't keep up. We play slow, build up, possession football and GM would put chances away, we know that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Because most football fans are idiots. Sorry, but they are.

It is so obvious that every opposition fan, manager and pundit points it out all the time. We have come absolute leaps and bounds under Potter.

We are unrecognisable. We, for the first team, are a genuinely good team. This is down to Potter.

If he was allowed to invest in some key positions this summer, we would be flying high right now.

We have at least three players coveted by top clubs. We bemoan the lack of firepower but the manager allowed three strikers to leave the club. We play pretty but harmless football. WE HAVE WON ONE HOME GAME IN A YEAR AND TWO GAMES OUT OF SIXTEEN THIS SEASON. Every single stat is down on the previous three seasons. The manager now gambles with starting line ups and makes late and ineffectual substitutions to try and rescue his mistakes. We have no continuity. No settled side. No core of six or seven we can rely on. We cannot seem to correct a weakness against set pieces and crosses and at the other end of the pitch offer little or no threat ourselves.
Villa have come on leaps and bounds this season. Southampton too. West Ham are improving. Palace and Newcastle picking up points regularly. Leeds, unplayable on their day. Burnley, solid and organised now getting their act together. No one else within reach. So that just leaves the dead men and guess where we are? Obviously improving in leaps and bounds. Oh I see what you mean....leaping and bounding downwards.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
If you think relegation is catastrophic you have to vote out.
The argument for ‘in’ or even fence, is that he would take us back up, and in a stronger position to make a push.
Make no mistake - Potter is taking us down.

Not necessarily, but it would require substantial backing from Bloom in January. It's the lack of investment that's keeping me from voting out.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The argument that it is the players has to go in the bin now. Starting XI completely different, problems exactly the same. It is tactical.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Do we?

I know you’re a Hughton fan or related to him, but I don’t agree with this. For my money we have no striker currently on our books as effective for us as Glenn was.

That’s a failing of recruitment right there.

1) Good positional sense
2) Good, instinctive finisher.
3) Good in the air.
4) Strong defensively
5) Won lots of free kicks in the last third
6) Held the ball up well
7) Scored over 100 goals for us.
8) Clever and experienced

Enough to be going on with?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Tragically, as far as your second paragraph is concerned, l think you might well be right.

One thing that's for sure, with that massive payout as an insurance policy, he won't be resigning, however desperate things might get.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
How so, we create chances but don’t have the players to take them. The final third is the problem and it doesn’t matter who we put up there

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm fence leaning towards in!

I'm not sure he's doing anything wrong over all. We are playing very good football. The fact we can't finish isn't his fault.

But when we need goals I do wonder why we don't start with a recognised striker, Maupay is our best chance of goals but he was brought on too late. Also I don't see why Glen Murray couldn't do a job for us? It's not like we play fast attacking football and he wouldn't keep up. We play slow, build up, possession football and GM would put chances away, we know that.

Slow possession based football that is easy to defend against. Same tempo, no variance. A one trick pony that has been found out. The Emperor's new clothes!!

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Pointless really, we all know Bloom hasn't got the minerals to give him the gooner. Case in point Hyypiä.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Team has potential but the manager has proved, in spite of pretty football, he doesn’t.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not necessarily, but it would require substantial backing from Bloom in January. It's the lack of investment that's keeping me from voting out.

Yes agreed. It’s a combination of factors. Personally, I think the signings of Locadia and AJ in particular killed us. I’m not sure we’ve ever recovered from such major outlays being so poor.
More recently it’s been patchy. Lamptey aside I can’t think of any who’ve smashed expectations. You could say Bissouma, but he cost a lot in the first place. Webster is still struggling to justify the outlay. Maupay a pricey rough diamond. Bernardo - paid too much. Trossard, Izquierdo - not really justified outlay. It goes on.
That said, I still feel another manager might get us over the line. We need some horrible wins, some cheap goals. Doesnt sound appealing, I appreciate, but Potter’s way could see us gently cruise to relegation without a fight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here