[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
My take is Southgate’s replacement.

Left field is Alonso will move to a top club at the end of the season. He did a brilliant job in taking an underperforming Leverkusen side who were languishing in the lower reaches and got them into Europe. He’s also got them off to a great start this season. Potter to the Bundesliga?

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I think he'd be a disaster for England. Just wont get enough time with the players to get them working as a unit and playing his brand of football.
You’re probably right, but he’ll never get any club who showed the patience we did. Some of his stats were woeful, a calendar year with only one home win, a winless streak of 11, 20 points dropped from a winning position. Those are the ones I can remember. He has to adapt his methods after his Chelsea debacle otherwise the next move will fail also. Time isn’t on the coach’s side in a results business.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You’re probably right, but he’ll never get any club who showed the patience we did. Some of his stats were woeful, a calendar year with only one home win, a winless streak of 11, 20 points dropped from a winning position. Those are the ones I can remember. He has to adapt his methods after his Chelsea debacle otherwise the next move will fail also. Time isn’t on the coach’s side in a results business.
6 defeats in a row ended by a 0-0 draw at home to the might of Norwich City as well in 2022.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I wouldn't be surprised if GP is suffering from a type of PTSD. Yes, we can all talk about the money he's still earning and how he's set up for life etc etc but I suspect his experience since leaving Brighton has been pretty tough mentally.

Does he go out in public anymore? Does he read the social media vitriol that still exists? Has the confidence that he once had now evaporated? Does the phone still ring and do his old football contacts still text him?

Don't get me wrong, I booed the guy as loudly as anyone when he came back to the Amex with Chelsea and I'm not saying that football management is for the faint-hearted. But having gone from being a hero at Brighton, feted as potentially one of Europe's top coaches, to failing spectacularly and facing abuse and ridicule from all sides must be a very tough thing to experience, especially in such a short space of time.
A lot of assumptions there, he lost football matches not his legs in Afghan. He also knew exactly what he was getting into he mentioned it enough with the easy job at Brighton quips.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I wouldn't be surprised if GP is suffering from a type of PTSD. Yes, we can all talk about the money he's still earning and how he's set up for life etc etc but I suspect his experience since leaving Brighton has been pretty tough mentally.

Does he go out in public anymore? Does he read the social media vitriol that still exists? Has the confidence that he once had now evaporated? Does the phone still ring and do his old football contacts still text him?

Don't get me wrong, I booed the guy as loudly as anyone when he came back to the Amex with Chelsea and I'm not saying that football management is for the faint-hearted. But having gone from being a hero at Brighton, feted as potentially one of Europe's top coaches, to failing spectacularly and facing abuse and ridicule from all sides must be a very tough thing to experience, especially in such a short space of time.
I think it’s a real stretch to invoke PTSD. Remember when the use of the term was confined to frontline troops who’d seen dozens of their mates butchered in front of them, and women who’d survived rape? With Potter, I think that RCO (really cheesed off) would be more appropriate or ALBAR (a little bit annoyed really).

I’ve lost jobs in my career, and have felt angry and upset and even a bit humiliated— though the passing of time has made me realise that it was probably the right decision for all concerned. The best possible attitude IMO is "f*** 'em."

Graham is an intelligent, well-adjusted family man who continues to get paid handsomely by Chelsea every month, and who very possibly has been sounded out for the England job. He is probably very happy, as he (according to an article in the Telegraph today) continues to chat to suitors for jobs, and adds to his knowledge through visits to clubs across Europe. If that’s PTSD I wouldn’t mind a bit of it myself.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It isn't unusual for managers on big pay offs to stay out of the game for a while.
In his case he needs the stink to die down a bit before coming back.
If Pochetino is still struggling in December, people will be more prepared to accept the issue was not Potter.

When the annual manager merry go round starts up again, I think there may be plenty of offers for him to start a new "project".
Until then he can just let the Boehly cheques keep rolling in.

Last edited:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Career wise, I think going to Chelsea was mistake for Potter, but he’s made a load of money so I’m sure that will soften the blow of being sacked.
At the time, I guess it was a Saudi moment. This was life changing money, and having spent many years (risky and personally challenging) he went for it, given Tod said it was a project.

He’s almost certainly watched Roberto and thought why didn’t I do that? And will learn. Doesn’t have the public passion and exuberant personality that RDZ has. Ultimately, reckon he wishes he did, but may adapt himself?

The life changing money has given him time to reflect and not jump into next job (England? - please no).

Not our problem, but what he does next is intriguing!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
6 defeats in a row ended by a 0-0 draw at home to the might of Norwich City as well in 2022.
Indeed, and I have thought a few times of how history could have changed. Potter admitted he was too slow to play Caicedo, who had a mesmeric effect on rest of team on and subsequent to his PL debut at Arsenal.
Given that Albion took 17 points from their final 8 games starting with the win at Emirates, it is not too much of a stretch to think they may have taken a lot more than 1 from the previous 7 had Caicedo been introduced earlier. Another 6 points would have been enough to qualify for the Conference , thus elevating Potter's kudos further, brought European football a season earlier, and prevented WHU fans chanting "Champions of Europe".

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Indeed, and I have thought a few times of how history could have changed. Potter admitted he was too slow to play Caicedo, who had a mesmeric effect on rest of team on and subsequent to his PL debut at Arsenal.
Given that Albion took 17 points from their final 8 games starting with the win at Emirates, it is not too much of a stretch to think they may have taken a lot more than 1 from the previous 7 had Caicedo been introduced earlier. Another 6 points would have been enough to qualify for the Conference , thus elevating Potter's kudos further, brought European football a season earlier, and prevented WHU fans chanting "Champions of Europe".
If Moder hadn't done his ACL against Norwich and that Brummie twat then hadn't had to start with Caicedo by nesscesity thereafter, things would have been different.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

You're not far wrong but he took the money and inherent risks. And I'd be even less sympathetic had our season imploded when he and the his little gang jumped ship. As it happens we got RDZ and the rest is glorious history. Tough titty for the' teeth sucking grey man'. Or more appropriately " it is what it is " :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports