Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Nagelsman is on gardening leave and would command a big fee from Bayern to release him, as they paid a big fee to RB Leipzig to take him.

Heard that on TS about 15 mins ago. They were saying they could swap Nagelsman for some Chelsea players, which would be the first in history 😃
I had a look on the Shedend, and a good few saying they want RDZ.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why would Potter read a fans forum of a club he was with for awhile then walked out on? He’s got a family and had an all consuming job.

It cannot possibly be bullying.

Just age-old football schadenfreude.
Madness to think a thread on a manager is any form of bullying. The person has to be involved/present for that to happen. Direct threats to him or his family is another thing all together. The stuff on here is mild compared to the fantastic Chelsea fan's sites.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nagelsman is on gardening leave and would command a big fee from Bayern to release him, as they paid a big fee to RB Leipzig to take him.

Heard that on TS about 15 mins ago. They were saying they could swap Nagelsman for some Chelsea players, which would be the first in history 😃
Kaveh Solhekol on SSN implied that although improbable the last thing Bayern Munich would want would be Chelsea managed by Julian Nagelsmann taking on Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi final, so the possibility won't be allowed.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
RDZ to chelsea as low as 16/1 on skybet, but if you fancy a little safety bet, to hedge against how gutting that would be...... he's still 66/1 on Betfair and Paddypower, but I doubt will be for much longer at those odds.

worth a cheeky tenner

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I also know about a herd bullying mentality, which is what this thread has descended into.
I don’t think anyone is ‘bullying‘ anyone but your suggestion that Potter just left to get a better paid job, is a gross simplification and overly benign view of what happened so don’t be too surprised if people react negatively - it ignores the fact Potter left smack as a new season was well under way and we were 4th in the league, he took half our back room staff with him, then came back again for our recruitment manager, Paul Winstanley (so 6 members of key staff ) and made several comments about Brighton even after he left that were somewhat belittling as well as ‘promising’, or at least announcing publicly he would like to come back in the January window for Gross, Trossard, Mac Allister and Caicedo and several other top Brighton players. Your comment ignores how much all of that really deeply pissed off most of the fans on NSC and why the ‘vitriol’ it caused is only now being somewhat countered by the fact the bloke‘s just got the sack. So fcuk yeah, Chelsea got rid 👍

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Isn't the issue quite abundantly clear? I thought it was evident to all of our fans but the issue wasn't Potter leaving - it was his pillaging of as many of our back room staff as he could get his hands on and thereafter the targeting of our players which he no doubt had a say about. All this upheaval could have wrecked our season and dumped us into a hotly contested relegation battle. However, he's hilariously fallen flat on his face despite them spending more on players in one transfer window than we will in c. 5 years. I find his unceremonious sacking hilarious
Absolutely this. I can't fathom how all the Potter apologists don't get that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Totally disagree. They have a history of being arrogant and kneejerkish. He could easily have and should (for him not the Albion) have stayed.
Just proves that the so called top six sh!tfact0ry is dead and well! May they all rot, rot and more rot.
I hope and firmly believe that GP will learn from this. Reckon Leicester will come calling and , as long as he gets a structure in place, he may have a chance of achieving a level of success? If he has no structure or assurances then I fear his journey will have an equally bad, next phase outcome!

TNBA

TTF
So if he had turned them down do you think any other big club would tap him up ?

They wouldn't bother as conclude he had zero ambition

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Message I received from a Chelsea STH a couple of hours ago:-
So yesterday he picked the best right back in the country at CB, played a midfield player at RB, a LB at CB and left two CBs on the bench. He played a winger at centre forward, as he had fallen out with the only centre forward (admittedly shit) we have. Oh and Kante and Mount were left on the bench for the third game in a row. if they’re not fit why keep selecting them in the match day squad. It’s not like we’re short of players.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Potter strikes me as a fairly cautious bloke, who I don't think would have gone to Chelsea if Abramovich had still been there. Boehly convinced him he would be joining a different organisation with a long term plan. He must have been dreaming about building a long term project.

With the benefit of hindsight, the warning signs were there. Boehly had just binged on players that Tuchel hadn't necessarily wanted, meaning he'd be joining a club with a bloated playing staff and no means to pare it down quickly. He'd previously said that he likes to work with a small squad. Boehly then showed in January that the previous binge wasn't a beginner's error, but a business model. Potter must have realised that he'd been hired as a flavour of the month coach, not as an empire builder. He had players at Brighton like Burn, Gross, Lallana and March who would be willing to adapt as necessary, even during matches, to perform whatever role served the greater aim. That mentality was not established at a club where players were used to competing just as much with their colleagues as with their opponents.

Boehly is an idiot. He's like somebody who bought a workshop that had all the raw materials to build the finest watches. He appointed somebody who, he believed given time, could design and build him a perfect watch and then went out and bought loads of expensive watches and told him his job was to wind them.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
BBC reporting that the decision to sack Potter was led by Paul Winstanley !!! Unbelievable if true !

My money is on him being the next West Ham manager. Moyes has had a stay of execution this weekend but I reckon the Hammers will be sounding GP out this week and Moyes will be gone this time next week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here