Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seems bizarre to me. Just sack Potter and keep the rest (temporarily)? Bit unheard of? Perhaps the pressure/hate just got too much for him.
When the new bloke comes in the rest will get the push too.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't understand all the vitriol.

Somebody used to work for BHA. He left for a bigger, what he thought would be a better, and a more well paid job. End of story. It happens all the time. He has now been sacked from that job because his bosses think he failed.

What's the issue here?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Potter is nailed on for a move to West Ham once they relieve Moyes of his duties at the end of the season.
Expect the ITK experts to start writing and sharing their 'scopes' very soon.

The exclusive story is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Chelsea FC has announced that Graham Potter has departed the club. Graham has agreed to collaborate with the Club to facilitate a smooth transition.
In this context, what does collaborate mean? Keep your mouth shut - say nothing to the media and stay away from the players and ground?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Amazed it’s taken as long as 7mnths for Boehly to realise that he paid £20 million + just to enable Brighton to dump a manager on to them that Tony Bloom already had an upgrade for - and who is now going to potentially cost Chelsea £50 million + to get rid of themselves - serves Chelsea right for behaving like entitled pri%ks to a smaller club. It also serves Potter right for being greedy and arrogant enough to think he was going to be the manager that could change the culture at a club that eats managers for dinner 😂

On a personal note, I wish the man luck and wish him a speedy recovery ….

Wonder how much loyalty Bruno has to GP now when he has been offered interim manager? - not as much as GP expected or demanded perhaps 🤔

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Somebody used to work for BHA. He left for a bigger, what he thought would be a better, and a more well paid job. End of story. It happens all the time. He has now been sacked from that job because his bosses think he failed.

What's the issue here?
You need a (recent) history lesson

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

What's the issue here?
Have you only just logged on to NSC for the first time in 7 months or something??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Somebody used to work for BHA. He left for a bigger, what he thought would be a better, and a more well paid job. End of story.

If you were right, there wouldn't be a few thousand posts about him after he left.

What's the issue here?
No issue :shrug: He took the piss when he left, so now we're laughing at him.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

What's the issue here?
Maybe it's not the vitriol you don't understand, but football rivalry?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

What's the issue here?
The reason most people go on Football Forums is because it allows the ordinary football fan to have an opinion. I don't see the harm in anyone voicing their opinions good or bad. So long as they are not rude to others.

I sort of agree with you. Most Managers would never pass up on that opportunity. But by the token. I also find it acceptable for the fans who were aggrieved that he left. They are entitled to gloat a bit if they want too

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Chelsea are going to have to pay a chunk of money to Potter and all

They may also end up buying a manager out of a contract somewhere. But whether this is the case or not, they will have to pay a new manager a signing on fee and more importantly this manager is going to be a big name, it won't be another project manager.

All of which has a very detrimental effect on Chelsea's FFP situation .... which gives us a slightly improved chance of picking up Colwill.

Unfortunately it also means they've got a better chance of overhauling us in the league.
Not this season.

They still have to play 6 of the top 10 including the top 3. We are already too far ahead of them.

But despite Potter’s struggles, their biggest problem has been their horrific transfer policy, they have way too many egos in the dressing room this season; there needs to be a huge clear out in the summer (hopefully including Colwill).

Next season however, they could get things right if they get the right manager and bin off the right players.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

What's the issue here?
Isn't the issue quite abundantly clear? I thought it was evident to all of our fans but the issue wasn't Potter leaving - it was his pillaging of as many of our back room staff as he could get his hands on, and thereafter the targeting of our players which he no doubt had a say about. All this upheaval could have wrecked our season and dumped us into a hotly contested relegation battle. However, he's hilariously fallen flat on his face despite them spending more on players in one transfer window than we will in c. 5 years. I find his unceremonious sacking brilliant

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I wonder what area of business Todd is in over the Pond?

Whatever it is it must be easy to make money to be able to piss away millions with Chelsea...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

What's the issue here?
Range of complaints, I think. (I have no vitriol, and will try to summarise without judgement):

When he left, he didn't just go with what he brought, he took "our" Bruno and Roberts. Then shortly afterward came back and took our recruitment staff (yes, the decision would have been Boehly's but he would have liaised with Graham, sought his input)
After leaving he talked about having an easy life with Brighton, and had made similar comments that some fans felt were disrespectful/dismissive of the club, the fans.

I suspect there are also elements of:
Hurt - they bonded with him (or the idea of him) stood by him and defended him during poor runs, and him leaving felt like a betrayal.
Jealousy - He didn't dare make comments that were, or could be construed as, dismissive of the fans and their emotional responses to football at Chelsea, and feel we were never afford that. And he changed, and got a make over and new clothes and a hair cut putting in a real effort - why didn't he do that for us?!
Tribalism - he's not in our group any more
Freedom to criticise - Some people never bonded with him (or the idea of him), and now he's at another club and others are criticising him, they are free to join in and get out previous frustrations.
Fear - He had done so much for us and leaving (and taking 'everyone' with him) left us vulnerable and in a precarious position. Yes De Zerbi has come in and taken us up a level, but that fear was real and it still plays a part in causing some to lash out

I'm sure there were some other aspects I was thinking when I started typing, I may add them later if I remember...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm fully aware of the history, and I also know about football rivalry thank you.

I also know about a herd bullying mentality, which is what this thread has descended into.
Nah, not bullying. For bullying to occur the person being bullied needs to actually be on the receiving end. I can't imagine Potter is reading NSC right now. It's just schadenfreude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here