Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm over the fact he left now and pleased he got the win tonight, I realise I'm not part of the cool anti Potter gang who are enjoying the death theats to somebody who started the way we are playing now and thanks to massive upgrades in all what we have lost we have benefitted from him going.

Besides it gives them more games to play to help us in April when we play them.
Irrespective of what anyone thinks of Potter, I don’t get how anybody can say enjoying death threats and the like is “cool”. Immature, nasty, moronic yes, but not cool.

For my part, any success he has reflects well on us, because we gave him the chance at the top table, where he did well for us - highest ever Premier league position. If he fails at Chelsea, that’s Chelsea’s problem….. and failure.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Irrespective of what anyone thinks of Potter, I don’t get how anybody can say enjoying death threats and the like is “cool”. Immature, nasty, moronic yes, but not cool.
Nobody here has said anything of the sort so I am frankly bemused that this line keeps being peddled. Unless I am misunderstanding you of course.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nobody here has said anything of the sort so I am frankly bemused that this line keeps being peddled. Unless I am misunderstanding you of course.
I don’t think you’re misunderstanding me.
I haven’t registered large numbers of people revelling in the death threats.
But my main point was to question why anybody might think it cool to do so.
There are plenty of people on here who still hold a grudge against Potter, which I don’t and never did, but not to the point of rejoicing in death threats.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
GP is taking on board and learning what he needs to do at Chelsea. Chelsea fans want an animated manager who brings results in big games, most animated I’ve ever seen him and Chelsea won that game with relative ease.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
There will be surely be some bargains from

For info, we have 7 players on international loans, so could send out one more next season but there will be a maximum of 6 the following season under new FIFA rules.

As the Reuters article states, U21 and "homegrown"* players are exempted from this new restriction, so if the rules were in place now only 2 Albion players would be caught, Zeqiri and Scherpen.

* I understand this is defined at a club level, rather than at the Association level for FA HGP rules

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don’t think you’re misunderstanding me.
I haven’t registered large numbers of people revelling in the death threats.
But my main point was to question why anybody might think it cool to do so.
There are plenty of people on here who still hold a grudge against Potter, which I don’t and never did, but not to the point of rejoicing in death threats.
Yes but the point is being continually repeated here, where no one has done anything of the sort. So why say 'There are plenty of people on here who still hold a grudge against Potter, which I don’t and never did, but not to the point of rejoicing in death threats.'

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Less than half the squad played tonight. It’s the others that he’s got to win over.

I wonder how comfortable he is whilst attending his acting lessons on how to win over the fans
Hahaha - yes he’s definitely upped his game in that regard. Trying to be more emotional/demonstrative on the touch line. That aside, Chelsea were very good last night. Comfortably the better team. Fans right behind them. Wankers, one and all 😂

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I agree.

Chelsea find it so difficult to score whilst Leicester find it really hard not to concede.

But Leicester can are always capable of scoring g lots of goals.
One can but hope.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
Graham Potter is a top manager. He took a big pay rise, I don't think he deserves to be hated for that. He did the same leaving us (Swans) for you.

De Zerbi seems special though, like a top 3-5 manager in the world type. I hope you have another top succession plan for him. Right now, Brighton are the envy of football. But that was Leicester 3 seasons ago, and Swansea before that. We kept getting it right until we didn't.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Graham Potter is a top manager. He took a big pay rise, I don't think he deserves to be hated for that. He did the same leaving us (Swans) for you.

De Zerbi seems special though, like a top 3-5 manager in the world type. I hope you have another top succession plan for him. Right now, Brighton are the envy of football. But that was Leicester 3 seasons ago, and Swansea before that. We kept getting it right until we didn't.
He left Swansea at the end of the season giving you pretty much 3 months prior to the start of the next season to find a new manager. You had time to interview and appoint Steve Cooper by mid-June, in place for pre-season. I think that is very different to leaving 5 or 6 games into a season.

That said managers are regularly sacked into a season, so their argument may well be it cuts both ways, which is how I kind of looked at his move.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
No bad thing they went through last night. If the league was all they had left, you could reasonably expect them to up their game like Liverpool have.

Seeing them demolished in the final or semis would be fine by me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Everyone should be happy he won.

Generally - There are no negatives for us as a team for Chelsea to progress - they have more games outside the premier league distracting them reducing the chances of them catching us, if they win the whole champions league they don't use up one of the top four spots (should we make it!), we're not in the champions league this year so they won't be progressing at our expense
If you hold no grudge against him, remembering the good he did for this club/team and are happy to see him succeed - this is a good result. A win and progression, an answer to some of the boo-boys and an easing of pressure on him
If you hold a grudge against him, rankled by his leaving and things he's said since - it keeps him in the job a little while longer and you can enjoy him being under pressure and criticised when he goes on his next winless/goalless run. Reinforcing Chelsea's fall from top 4 to also rans.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

When he left you, he took a day or two to think it over, and it was the close season. If he had given any impression that there was some sadness in leaving Brighton, and it had been before the season was underway, it would have been far less painful.
He reminded me of the Flying Doctor, expected everyone to be f***ing chuffed for him.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Things that still grate with me:
1) the speed at which he left, indicating that conversations with Chelsea must have be going on for days/weeks. Likewise with his coaching team plus Bruno, Roberts, etc. all this whilst still coaching us and telling us how much he loves the club
2) his “clever” comments about history lessons, staying at Brighton would’ve been the easy option, etc
3) chasing the cash without any loyalty to Tony Bloom and the contract he had signed
4) his transformation into a top manager highlighted by beard trimming, haircut, London clothes, Touchline spitting, dramatic arm waving, waving to imaginary friends in the stands (after a rare win), and saying how well he knows to opposition manager
5) I’m sure there’s more!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There will be surely be some bargains from Chelsea to be had this summer. Their squad will need a trim, especially as they’ll not be able to increase the amount of international loans they currently have (8).

We might be in the driving seat as I suspect they owe us a lot of money, it might be more convenient for them just writing off debt rather than trying to get other clubs to pay up.

Top of the list would be Colwill who is surely too good for us to sign. But, we might be sniffing about other players as we have down before with Lamptey and Gilmour.

For info, we have 7 players on international loans, so could send out one more next season but there will be a maximum of 6 the following season under new FIFA rules.

If I remember rightly - and i'm reaching that vintage where I often don't - Undav as an example was bought by USG and sold to us. He wasn't technically on loan. I'm assuming that there is nothing stopping us going down this road if International options are limited?

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
If I remember rightly - and i'm reaching that vintage where I often don't - Undav as an example was bought by USG and sold to us. He wasn't technically on loan. I'm assuming that there is nothing stopping us going down this road if International options are limited?
Undav was at Union from the beginning of season 2020-21 until he joined the Albion in January 2022. He was then loaned straight back to Union until the close of the 2021-22 season.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Things that still grate with me:
1) the speed at which he left, indicating that conversations with Chelsea must have be going on for days/weeks. Likewise with his coaching team plus Bruno, Roberts, etc. all this whilst still coaching us and telling us how much he loves the club
2) his “clever” comments about history lessons, staying at Brighton would’ve been the easy option, etc
3) chasing the cash without any loyalty to Tony Bloom and the contract he had signed
4) his transformation into a top manager highlighted by beard trimming, haircut, London clothes, Touchline spitting, dramatic arm waving, waving to imaginary friends in the stands (after a rare win), and saying how well he knows to opposition manager
5) I’m sure there’s more!
Constantly mentioning 'suffering' feck me, Give it a rest Graham. Get some perspective.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Keep repeating the mantra. Who knows, one day it might actually come to pass :shrug:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I would love an English manager to finally succeed on the biggest club stage. But the cloud under which Potter left has tainted him for me. I understand why he left, I think most of us would do the same if in the same position and if Brighton weren’t our club. But his conduct in leaving, pillaging the back room, hardly showered himself in glory.

So I find myself completely indifferent to his success/failure now. Mainly I want Chelsea to fail because they are our competition for Europe.

I don’t think that should discolour his legacy here. For me both he and Poyet are our two most important managers of recent decades. Both revolutionised the team and playing style, laying the platform for us to push on to subsequent success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here