Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think Potter can turn round the toxicity against him from Chelsea fans.

He will need some phenomenal achievements now and there will still be some who'll be entrenched regardless.

He needs a break and a fresh start elsewhere. I'm sure there is a deal to be done on the payoff.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
That would doubtless work for Potter. The rest of Potter's merry gang doubtless wouldn't fare nearly so well in any pay-off arrangement. A lot of them must be seriously sweating on their futures already. What a complete car crash
Never Mind Oh Dear GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I said this on another thread but I've no idea what MacAuley and Winstanley are doing there, other than swelling their bank balances and LinkedIn exposure.

The recruitment strategy is as "un Brighton" as it's possible to be, as "un Potter" as it's possible to be and totally unsustainable. If their next job is to unload some of the 31, well, good luck getting them to agree and receiving decent money for them. If it's to start a sustainable policy starting in the summer, what on earth has this year been all about? I'd say Boehly has list the plot, but I'm not sure he ever had it. You cannot get in people from Brighton and just turn it into Brighton when you're paying over the odds for all your players, recruiting Raheem Sterling, coveting Ronaldo and buying three players who all play left centre back without having a striker that the coach trusts.
Stop it 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Its starting to hurt :rotlf:
I want to do a wee-wee.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Jordan on TalkSport suggesting that Potter should not have gone on record about the death threats, needs to face up to death threats and deal with them apparently, comes with the territory. Apparently lacking leadership skills. Slightly harsh
Agree. The idea that death threats are somehow OK is abhorrent. Potter has had the courage and/or desperation to put such conduct 'out there in the open'. This should start a discussion across football and beyond as to how such abuse can be stopped, not how it is OK because 'it comes with the territory'. This is an example of why gay footballers don't come out. They would get terrible abuse on line or from the stands but some idiots, thinly disguised as pundits, will say 'get over it, its part of the territory'

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
He'll be fine once they smash Leeds at weekend. Everything will look rosy for a few days at least!
I don't think they'll beat Leeds. Chelsea cannae score... Leeds get one and it's all over.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
He could also thank the mad Yank for all the players but calmly tell him the majority of the youngsters will be training with the U23s until the summer. He can make decisions about how to manage and coach 30 odd players. First it was too many injuries, now it's too many players.
Yes, it's a litany of excuses. If Silva is out for any amount of time he's really screwed.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
That would doubtless work for Potter. The rest of Potter's merry gang doubtless wouldn't fare nearly so well in any pay-off arrangement. A lot of them must be seriously sweating on their futures already. What a complete car crash
I doubt they are sweating on their futures.
Wherever Potter ends up after this saga is all over, he will take these rather uninspiring individuals with him. I questioned their quality or lack of it when they were with us. At Chelsea, they look woefully inadequate.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'd be very surprised. You don't usually get to quit and negotiate a settlement.
This is football, when it happens there will be a pay off and it will all be by mutual consent to save face on both sides.

Potter will keep quiet about further grumblings on the recruitment side and over inflated squad etc and Chelsea will just wish him luck on his future endeavours.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This is football, when it happens there will be a pay off and it will all be by mutual consent to save face on both sides.

Potter will keep quiet about further grumblings on the recruitment side and over inflated squad etc and Chelsea will just wish him luck on his future endeavours.
That's when a manager is sacked. The suggestion is that Potter will quit.

I don't think managers on huge contracts ever quit (unless something better is lined up) - and for good rea$on.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I said this on another thread but I've no idea what MacAuley and Winstanley are doing there, other than swelling their bank balances and LinkedIn exposure.

The recruitment strategy is as "un Brighton" as it's possible to be, as "un Potter" as it's possible to be and totally unsustainable. If their next job is to unload some of the 31, well, good luck getting them to agree and receiving decent money for them. If it's to start a sustainable policy starting in the summer, what on earth has this year been all about? I'd say Boehly has lost the plot, but I'm not sure he ever had it. You cannot get in people from Brighton and just turn it into Brighton when you're paying over the odds for all your players, recruiting Raheem Sterling, coveting Ronaldo and buying three players who all play left centre back without having a striker that the coach trusts.

There’s common knowledge that Boehly wants a collection of clubs and wants to copy the Red Bull model - albeit without selling the priced assets.

He’s been strongly linked with buying Strasbourg in the past week and there was talk of a Portuguese club also. If and when they have that Winstanley will be working across all clubs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There’s common knowledge that Boehly wants a collection of clubs and wants to copy the Red Bull model - albeit without selling the priced assets.

He’s been strongly linked with buying Strasbourg in the past week and there was talk of a Portuguese club also. If and when they have that Winstanley will be working across all clubs.
.......And Potter will be working at Strasbourg :moo:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My heart bleeds for Roberts and Bruno....................NOT!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thiago seems to be getting singled out for praise for his efforts during this current poor run...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's when a manager is sacked. The suggestion is that Potter will quit.

I don't think managers on huge contracts ever quit (unless something better is lined up) - and for good rea$on.
Not a huge contract but going back a few years, did Hyypia submit two resignations; 1 Tony chose to ignore and told him to get on with it, he then resigned again a few games later which Tony reluctantly accepted?

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
Due to ffp .. I don't think Chelase can afford to sack him until the Summer. It seems that Chelsea had just enough money to sign players for 8 years to reduce the yearly money going out.. I see this is the only reason he hasn't been sacked.. any other club in the planet would of got rid of him..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I doubt they are sweating on their futures.
Wherever Potter ends up after this saga is all over, he will take these rather uninspiring individuals with him. I questioned their quality or lack of it when they were with us. At Chelsea, they look woefully inadequate.
Very much doubt he'll be given the option of taking all of his merry men with him to his next job. They don't exactly add a lot of value to the buying club

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Not a huge contract but going back a few years, did Hyypia submit two resignations; 1 Tony chose to ignore and told him to get on with it, he then resigned again a few games later which Tony reluctantly accepted?
A rookie in every sense!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think at this point, Chelsea will stick with Potter until the end of the season and then fire Potter and his merry-men. They'll be scouting around for a manager now and they'll have someone in place ready to come in with the expectation so low that they can't possibly fail. The next manager will get to have had a month or 3 to review the players in the squad and come straight in ready to get rid of the dirge and reduce the squad size to something manageable.

I don't think Potter is going to get the chance to work with a smaller, less bloated squad. Realistically, he's got the job until the end of the season and should he manage to go on a roll, maybe they'll keep him. But given how badly the press conferences are going, on top of the incredible underperformance on the pitch, I think he's in an untenable situation. He can't win back the fans and the players who are on the outside on the training sessions won't want to keep working with him. It's a mess at Chelsea right now - some of it is Potter's fault but most of it isn't. The team should certainly be performing better though and I think that under almost anyone else they would be doing better.

Maybe sack Potter and get Frank back in to see them through until they can hire a proper manager?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It is quite harsh. I'm also certain many, many managers would've had anonymous death threats via email/social media.
Wasn't there a banner hanging outside Everton's training ground saying 'we know where you live' on Benitez first day?
Disgusting, all of it, but it surely isn't that unusual.
I guess the question is what does bringing it up in a press conference achieve? I don't think he's handled his pressers very well. (Although totally understandable given his lack of experience of this kind of exposure, pressure and scrutiny).
Actually outside a neighbour’s house in Caldy where he lives (by mistake) :) Our roofer who supports Everton said ‘typical scousers.’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here