Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Is this a hangover from the all powerful manager? Years ago we pulled back from talking about a 'head coach' but ultimately that is what we most often have today. Perhaps Chelsea (and us - certainly me) under estimated how much the club set up affected the success of Potter.

By extension maybe Chelsea should be looking at how their set up is affecting Potter's work.
The club set up is massively important. Since Poyet we have only had one unsuccessful managerial appointment but have any gone on to be more successful after leaving?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if GP announces his resignation on the grounds of intolerable family pressures. A deal will probably be agreed of say £10m for him to walk away with both sides being able to save face. Pure speculation by the way.
I don’t see that happening. All part of being a football manager. Alex Ferguson went through a lot worse and he did all right.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jordan on TalkSport suggesting that Potter should not have gone on record about the death threats, needs to face up to death threats and deal with them apparently, comes with the territory. Apparently lacking leadership skills. Slightly harsh

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Too many players , that appears to be the problem now

Under-fire Chelsea boss Graham Potter feels bloated squad is ruining his training sessions after club splashed out £553m on new players… amid first signs of owners' faith cracking​

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if GP announces his resignation on the grounds of intolerable family pressures. A deal will probably be agreed of say £10m for him to walk away with both sides being able to save face. Pure speculation by the way.
I'd be very surprised. You don't usually get to quit and negotiate a settlement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Too many players , that appears to be the problem now

Under-fire Chelsea boss Graham Potter feels bloated squad is ruining his training sessions after club splashed out £553m on new players… amid first signs of owners' faith cracking​

He does have a point. The Chelsea transfer business model is as wrong as it can be for Potter imo. He obviously didn’t do his due diligence as he rushed to pack his bags.

He made his bed and it must feel full of nails now he’s jumped into it.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Jordan on TalkSport suggesting that Potter should not have gone on record about the death threats, needs to face up to death threats and deal with them apparently, comes with the territory. Apparently lacking leadership skills. Slightly harsh
It is quite harsh. I'm also certain many, many managers would've had anonymous death threats via email/social media.
Wasn't there a banner hanging outside Everton's training ground saying 'we know where you live' on Benitez first day?
Disgusting, all of it, but it surely isn't that unusual.
I guess the question is what does bringing it up in a press conference achieve? I don't think he's handled his pressers very well. (Although totally understandable given his lack of experience of this kind of exposure, pressure and scrutiny).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He will come good, I still believe. :alien:
yeah probably against us, tonking us 5-0 and he will gloat about he knew it would come together.
He is full of his own self importance, blaming everyone and everything.

he might have a massive squad, but everyone of them would probably walk into any squad in the league, lame excuse for very poor recent results.
It is his swapping and changing and no direct vision.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If he wasn't such a Yes Man he could have had some say in the size of squad he felt he needed
He could also thank the mad Yank for all the players but calmly tell him the majority of the youngsters will be training with the U23s until the summer. He can make decisions about how to manage and coach 30 odd players. First it was too many injuries, now it's too many players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He does have a point. The Chelsea transfer business model is as wrong as it can be for Potter imo. He obviously didn’t do his due diligence as he rushed to pack his bags.

He made his bed and it must feel full of nails now he’s jumped into it.
I said this on another thread but I've no idea what MacAuley and Winstanley are doing there, other than swelling their bank balances and LinkedIn exposure.

The recruitment strategy is as "un Brighton" as it's possible to be, as "un Potter" as it's possible to be and totally unsustainable. If their next job is to unload some of the 31, well, good luck getting them to agree and receiving decent money for them. If it's to start a sustainable policy starting in the summer, what on earth has this year been all about? I'd say Boehly has lost the plot, but I'm not sure he ever had it. You cannot get in people from Brighton and just turn it into Brighton when you're paying over the odds for all your players, recruiting Raheem Sterling, coveting Ronaldo and buying three players who all play left centre back without having a striker that the coach trusts.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I said this on another thread but I've no idea what MacAuley and Winstanley are doing there, other than swelling their bank balances and LinkedIn exposure.

The recruitment strategy is as "un Brighton" as it's possible to be, as "un Potter" as it's possible to be and totally unsustainable. If their next job is to unload some of the 31, well, good luck getting them to agree and receiving decent money for them. If it's to start a sustainable policy starting in the summer, what on earth has this year been all about? I'd say Boehly has list the plot, but I'm not sure he ever had it. You cannot get in people from Brighton and just turn it into Brighton when you're paying over the odds for all your players, recruiting Raheem Sterling, coveting Ronaldo and buying three players who all play left centre back without having a striker that the coach trusts.
Sums up the American approach. Thank goodness for Tony Bloom and his principles.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That would doubtless work for Potter. The rest of Potter's merry gang doubtless wouldn't fare nearly so well in any pay-off arrangement. A lot of them must be seriously sweating on their futures already. What a complete car crash

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here