Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although I generally agree, if you'd been in a coma for the last 6 months and taken the Palace and Fulham games at face value you'd have been forgiven for thinking Potter was still our manager: A billion % of possession, not taking our chances, conceding on the break etc etc.
But 9 goals against LFC/EFC, last minute winner against Bmuff (when do we do that?), destruction of Chelsea, Boro thrashing, knocking Arsenal out of the LC.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Then stop feeling the beast.

I just have no idea why posters interact with one who irks them so much (I know it's early but even I can see the irony). There's even a post telling him to stop interacting with everyone that @ ed him in, thereby guaranteeing a reply - you couldn't make it up.
Yep, it’s a fair point! I appreciate your opinion, and tbh, prior to my last I have made the mistake of interacting with him a grand total of once, (I think) and I regretted that, but I’ve never put anyone on ignore before, it goes against my principles haha and I stubbornly don’t want to do it. I’d rather just show restraint and would like some to do the same, I agree, but equally I don’t think the ultimate ‘solution’ to the @Swansman challenge is for everyone else to show him restraint. I’d like him to show some restraint too and naively still hope he can. He doesn’t need to stop posting, just read the room/know his audience. This will be my last try, no more feeding/feeling.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Then stop feeling the beast.

Like you I'm not bored of Potter/Chelsea, how can something so funny be boring?

I just have no idea why posters interact with one who irks them so much (I know it's early but even I can see the irony). There's even a post telling him to stop interacting with everyone that @ ed him in, thereby guaranteeing a reply - you couldn't make it up.

Everyone, quite rightly, screamed for a policeman here in the build up to Brexit and yet this is exactly the same.

WE KNOW THE REPLY - SO WHY ASK THE QUESTION?
Feeling the beast is now my favourite euphemism.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
But 9 goals against LFC/EFC, last minute winner against Bmuff (when do we do that?), destruction of Chelsea, Boro thrashing, knocking Arsenal out of the LC.
Oh I know, and the manner of those wins is something special too, but that said in Potter's last 15 games we beat Man United twice (4-0 and 2-1), thrashed Leicester 5-2, beat Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham twice (as per...) and only lost twice (Man City and Fulham) and scoring for fun.

My point is that De Zerbi has made great progress with an already well performing squad, and has improved the style of play to be far more clinical but the demons we saw during a lot of the Potter era haven't been fully worked out just yet.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Oh I know, and the manner of those wins is something special too, but that said in Potter's last 15 games we beat Man United twice (4-0 and 2-1), thrashed Leicester 5-2, beat Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham twice (as per...) and only lost twice (Man City and Fulham) and scoring for fun.

My point is that De Zerbi has made great progress with an already well performing squad, and has improved the style of play to be far more clinical but the demons we saw during a lot of the Potter era haven't been fully worked out just yet.
Agreed .... I'm a little bit with swanners on this one. Everyone on this board is wan@ing over de zerbi. But his record so far is strangely worse than potters this season at Brighton. And the last 5 games have been similar to potter games.

We haven't seen a rip roaring de zerbi performance since mid Jan now.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not really too bothered about the comparison of results between the two managers.

Potter's football improved with the arrival of Moises and the decision to use Mac as a Biss replacement.
De Zerbi has carried that on, but added a philosophy of attacking quickly.

His methods of doing that don't work as well now everyone knows how we want to bait the press.
It's still better to watch.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I just don’t get this comparing Potter with Roberto thing, it’s like comparing Blackmore with Bolin - Hughes/Coverdale with Gillan…

Indeed, I consider Hughton to have been MK1 - kind of Vanilla Fudge meets Steppenwolf, a little bit derivative of better bands with some very interesting diversions into cksssical motif magpieism… Sure the results were mixed, but come his ‘April’ I loved him dearly.

With Graham (our MKII) came a seismic shift, intensity, bravery, progression all wrapped up in a unit so tight and one in the live environment that was simply: undeniable. Some of the greatest musical moments were wrought therein… it’ll be remembered, cherished snd (yes) the inevitable implosion and breakup forgiven.

MKIII and it’s Roberto time, undoubtedly the Stormbringer, funk blues (even soul) combined with ROCK so hard and (yes, ballsy) with some of the finest solos of all time.

Sure, we’ve been mistreated, we’ve been abused… since our Graham left us, we’ve been confused…

But Roberto is the Burn 🔥 to the lacklustre Mary Long - and for those who cry ‘fools’

Well…

You fool no one.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Demons …. or a lack of finisher, whoever the manager is? Mitrovic or Toney and we’re genuine 4th contenders this season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Exactly. There is an element of emperors new clothes, next few games will tell us where we really are

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

It certainly started to click under Potter, so he cashed out. Would it have lasted? He evidently didn't think so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly. There is an element of emperors new clothes, next few games will tell us where we really are
This season I think we're now good enough to beat the 19 other teams (ordinarily that would be 15 or 16), but for that to happen we do need their help, one way or another.
Which is why I don't think we're good enough to impose #TeamAlbion irrespective of the opposition game plan.

Sure you can't win them all, and I think your right March ought to give us a good idea of where we're at, other teams watch us play and will know how to stop RDZ.

We're unlikely to see a team rock up a la Liverpool, again this season.

Can we win despite shitehousey?
Can we win if not given any width?
Or conversely if the midfield is swamped?

It's a shame the Utd game will be moved as that could be fascinating.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
@Swansman …Potter was a great coach for us, and we all thought so when he was here. OK? I don’t think anyone is ‘seriously’ disputing that. I definitely appreciate what he did for our club and recognise just how much we improved with his coaching. I am not trying to rewrite the past!

He’s now a crap coach ‘at Chelsea.’ He is failing BADLY! (You can judge that with your eyes/watching on TV or statistically, however you wish.) Not even you would challenge that, surely? He might still turn it around, but right now he’s failing, badly! It’s indisputable!

I don’t imagine you’d have much luck convincing anyone on Shed End how wonderful the man is, that’s for sure! Have you tried? I am genuinely interested. (I certainly can’t imagine them being anywhere near as tolerant of you as we are, and I REALLY hope you appreciate the support you get on here.)

We now have RDZ. ‘We’ have moved on, we have embraced him, we support him and when you consider how things could’ve regressed under another manager, and the enormous disappointment we felt when GP left, we are feeling very pleased for ourselves, and greatly enjoying what we see AND the stats are positive.

Does that bother you? (Because you behave like it does.) You can’t possibly think any of your endless posts are going to be what convinces any of us otherwise, so why do you do it? What is your motivation and what do you imagine to be your ultimate reward? What is your end goal? Under the circumstances, do you really expect us to speak about GP more positively than we do RDZ?

Can you not appreciate why we feel the way in which we do and how distasteful many of us find your relentless desire to tell us we’re wrong? Do you genuinely lack the (interpersonal) intelligence to comprehend that? Ironically, I think you’d do well to try and improve your emotional intelligence.

This is a BHA forum! We are BHA fans. So don’t be surprised that we’re not a bit more impartial. Potter is no longer a BHA coach. He’s left! We are now backing our new coach, and if it’s alright with you, we would like to try to enjoy it, see the positives, (through Blue and White tinted glasses a little, maybe) support him and feel good about ourselves. Will you please try to understand that and stop trying to piss on our parade.

Yes, (rolls eyes) this is a thread specifically about Potters demise, but this is a BHA forum, for BHA fans first and foremost. Of course we’re going to take pleasure in his failings, he dumped us, we’re bitter. It’s human nature! It’s cathartic, and all part of the healing process. Why don’t you try to understand WHY we feel the way in which we feel and try to be a little/LOT more forgiving if we don’t feel sorry for him. (I’m actually beginning to tbh.)

Truth is you can spin the ‘stats’ however you choose and in reality it’s almost impossible re football specifically to draw a true, fair comparison of managerial success. No one game is the same. RDZ beating Liverpool this season and GP losing to Liverpool of last season for example cannot truly be compared. They’re very different teams right now. Equally true of many other teams. Managers change, available players change. The variables are endless. So, at what
I wrote a long post, (please feel free to ignore me/my ramblings) I know a lot of words for some is even more offensive than Swansman, (in a GENUINE effort to try and find neutral ground, although being a BHA fan you’re almost certainly going to detect a degree of bias despite my very best effort to be impartial, kinda the point I was trying to make,) NOT because I’m pissed off, I’m not. I’m not even trying to prove him wrong either, just trying to give him something to think about beyond the stats and invoke a degree of restraint and positive change for all. Love him or hate him! I’m probably wasting my time and everyone else’s, you’re right, but I wanted to try!

I’m not bored of the Potter/Chelsea threads, I’m bored of how fans of our club are having their every view challenged and scrutinised and fact checked by an ever present poster who doesn’t appreciate that a fans feelings about their club transcends numbers. It’s easy to be impartial, when you’re impartial but we care and although I come on here expecting a variety of views, positive and negative, that I may or may not agree with, it’s SO HARD to tolerate endless posts telling us how we, BHA fans, should feel about our ex coach, with such relentless intensity.

These are conversations re Potter/Chelsea on a BHA forum, not BHA conversations on a GP forum.
Bang on - and I’m trying with him but it’s like it’s his way or no way and any friendly advice always just gets ignored. I do find it strange there’s a group - usually the ones calling him ‘Swanny’ tbh who have frequently called it ‘bullying’ for fans to show their annoyance at his posts - bizarre group. I’ve only seen one poster get personal with him and he gave back just as much (even calling our country a crumbling 3rd world country - I think to try and get a reaction). I just don’t get it at all.

This is absolutely bang on the money:

‘I’m bored of how fans of our club are having their every view challenged and scrutinised and fact checked by an ever present poster who doesn’t appreciate that a fans feelings about their club transcends numbers.’

Also, to now have to see pure negativity at RDZ when we’re all enjoying the ride and the football is nauseating. ‘Blaming the ref’ etc - every time RDZ has called the ref out has been totally deserved and seen by the fans -AT THE GAME!

We’re a fan base who nearly lost the club, understand the history yet we seem to have to put up with posts from someone with no BHA support on every thread or risk getting called ‘bullies’ or told ‘NSC is for everyone’ etc. it’s fundamentally a BHA fans forum - different opinions, articulated correctly, are well received / debated. I just don’t think Swansman has it in him to do so when it comes to Graham fecking Potter - a bloke who we all loved, who literally gutted our club - we have every right to slate him as BHA fans and will continue to do so - and enjoy the obvious and vast improvement under RDZ.

I just don’t know the answer to the Swansman thing - something has to give and will probably soon the way it’s going.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Demons …. or a lack of finisher, whoever the manager is? Mitrovic or Toney and we’re genuine 4th contenders this season.
I think a finisher is a big part of it, but I was actually referring to out inability to break down teams that sit back, pop 11 men behind the ball and sh!thouse us for 90 minutes in the hope of springing a quick counter to get something out of the game.

Fulham and Palace were obvious examples, but we had the same v Villa, Bournemouth, Nottingham Forest, Brentford and Tottenham under De Zerbi.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bang on - and I’m trying with him but it’s like it’s his way or no way and any friendly advice always just gets ignored. I do find it strange there’s a group - usually the ones calling him ‘Swanny’ tbh who have frequently called it ‘bullying’ for fans to show their annoyance at his posts - bizarre group. I’ve only seen one poster get personal with him and he gave back just as much (even calling our country a crumbling 3rd world country - I think to try and get a reaction). I just don’t get it at all.

This is absolutely bang on the money:

‘I’m bored of how fans of our club are having their every view challenged and scrutinised and fact checked by an ever present poster who doesn’t appreciate that a fans feelings about their club transcends numbers.’

Also, to now have to see pure negativity at RDZ when we’re all enjoying the ride and the football is nauseating. ‘Blaming the ref’ etc - every time RDZ has called the ref out has been totally deserved and seen by the fans -AT THE GAME!

We’re a fan base who nearly lost the club, understand the history yet we seem to have to put up with posts from someone with no BHA support on every thread or risk getting called ‘bullies’ or told ‘NSC is for everyone’ etc. it’s fundamentally a BHA fans forum - different opinions, articulated correctly, are well received / debated. I just don’t think Swansman has it in him to do so when it comes to Graham fecking Potter - a bloke who we all loved, who literally gutted our club - we have every right to slate him as BHA fans and will continue to do so - and enjoy the obvious and vast improvement under RDZ.

I just don’t know the answer to the Swansman thing - something has to give and will probably soon the way it’s going.
Why not just put the guy on ignore? It's bliss. It's NSC equivalent of noise-cancelling headphones 😀

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, it’s a fair point! I appreciate your opinion, and tbh, prior to my last I have made the mistake of interacting with him a grand total of once, (I think) and I regretted that, but I’ve never put anyone on ignore before, it goes against my principles haha and I stubbornly don’t want to do it. I’d rather just show restraint and would like some to do the same, I agree, but equally I don’t think the ultimate ‘solution’ to the @Swansman challenge is for everyone else to show him restraint. I’d like him to show some restraint too and naively still hope he can. He doesn’t need to stop posting, just read the room/know his audience. This will be my last try, no more feeding/feeling.
Totally agree.

My thinking is if 'we' broke the habits of a lifetime and were the grown ups in the room, there's every chance the narrative would broaden out.

Goading over one tiny storyline is just tiresome - there genuinely is nothing new to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here