Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Yup. Funny how the world works.

If results are all about the manager then...

Potter's last 13 league games:
P13 W8 D3 L2 F25 A9 PTS 26

RDZ's first 13 league games:
P13 W5 D3 L5 F26 A22 PTS 18

(bit outdated as RDZ now has 15 or 16 (?) games in charge but just stole the numbers someone posted here a while ago.

Surely if the "better manager, better results" thing is true, then Chelsea would be close to relegation with RDZ in charge and Brighton would be a very serious contender for a top 4 position with Graham in charge?

Football is a bit more complicated than that though.
Swanny, I like you as a poster but let’s not drag this sho
This. You get it.

Each time I'm told Graham Potter is shite or whatever, I will say that I watched his job in Brighton for three years and that he and his team did very well, playing nice football, developing players and the team, and getting ok or good results. That this is now labelled "wrong"... well, thats your take; I'll defend my view similar to how others defend theirs.
I don’t think many, if any are saying GP was shite, he wasn’t, he was great imho, I was gutted when he left,I think many are saying they prefer RDZ, who is also great. Whether he’s better or not is up for debate. What is clear, is we as Brighton fans are very happy.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Still fighting the good fight @Swansman . At some point you'll realise that you don't actually have to reply. You can accept that others may have a different opinion to you . . . and that is okay. Graham will still continue to not know who you are (until he does and starts to seek legal assistance).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I am loving this... I hate Chelsea...

I won't be happy until they are relegated.
They could do with Kerry Dixon now who scored all those goals that got them promoted straight back up the last time they were relegated in the late 80s

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I am loving this... I hate Chelsea...

I won't be happy until they are relegated.
I can honestly say I now support 3 teams: Brighton & Hove Albion, Hastings United and whoever that Brummie twat Potter's Chelsea are playing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think this blogger - https://tweetingseagull.wordpress.com/2023/02/07/the-cult-of-the-individual/ - is spot on. If it was a cult before, then what it is it now with people (out of anger, grief and hope) inventing a reality that isn't there.

Agreed - he nails it. I'll pick out a few quotes for those who don't make the click...

"When Graham Potter left many were panicked and thought it might spell the end of Albion’s progress, but the club have gone from strength to strength."
(For those who don't have English as a first language, I'll add that "from strength to strength" means: to gradually become more successful)

"Under Tony Bloom’s ownership there has been a near continuous period of progression. In my eyes, De Zerbi’s managerial reign is the next chapter in that progression."
(For those who don't have English as a first language, I'll add that "progression" means :the act of changing to the next stage of development)

"Roberto De Zerbi is now next in line; his job is arguably the hardest. To take Albion to that next step. A step unprecedented in Albion history, establish it among the top ten and challenge for Europe. It’s still early days, but so far so good."

Yes, Tweeting Seagull seems to be well on board with the managerial upgrade that has taken place at the Albion.

Finally, I'll pick out this...

"How many managers bring with them an entire ecosystem of devotees, followers not of a football club but of a man"

Only one Albion manager brought NSC a devotee who rapidly made many thousands of posts and near-instantly changed the dynamic of the site. It wasn't Roberto De Zerbi...

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I look forward to it in the sense that we're going to be able to discuss the team in a more balanced manner once this cult of personality thing around Graham Potter dies down a bit. Things like the set piece thread posted today could be very interesting to discuss, but not as long as people feel like their God is getting attacked when people mention that one or two aspects of the football isn't perfect... or even fantastic.

:facepalm:

EDIT - Not sure where the debate is re Potter v RDZ - anyone can see our game has progressed from the foundations GP laid - there’s no ‘cult of personality’ involved in recognising we have a talented manager who’s perfect for where we are right now as a club and who is building the potential to take us even further. If longstanding fans adore that and are excited with the football we are playing (we look like a Big 6 club when we play the Big 6 ffs), it is just a reflection of the many many years of supporting a local team, who nearly dropped out of league football, who were homeless for 14 years, who finally broke into the modern top flight PL, in the 5th consecutive season in the PL and despite being 4th from the bottom in wealth are in 8th position (with several games in hand). How many times will we go over this? Managers don’t need to be ‘special‘ to win the love of the fans, they just have to win games and keep winning them imo..

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Impartial observer, Jonathan Wilson in The Guardian also seems to recognise the Albion have kicked on post-Potter...

"What has happened at Brighton since Potter left only emphasises the role of luck. Brighton, of course, deserve enormous credit for identifying and appointing Roberto De Zerbi as quickly as they did, for having plans in place should Potter leave. Defeat to Fulham last week was only De Zerbi’s sixth in 20 games. Under the Italian they have become a far more exciting, aggressive side. There is a sense they have kicked on.​
It is probably too early to be sure but it may rather be that, like the England cricket team when Michael Vaughan succeeded Nasser Hussain as captain, there was need first of a leader to make them hard to beat and then a more expansive leader to build on that platform. It may be that Brighton, who at the time he left would never voluntarily have replaced Potter, have been fortunate to have achieved the transition from foundation to progression at just the right time."​

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
@Swansman …Potter was a great coach for us, and we all thought so when he was here. OK? I don’t think anyone is ‘seriously’ disputing that. I definitely appreciate what he did for our club and recognise just how much we improved with his coaching. I am not trying to rewrite the past!

He’s now a crap coach ‘at Chelsea.’ He is failing BADLY! (You can judge that with your eyes/watching on TV or statistically, however you wish.) Not even you would challenge that, surely? He might still turn it around, but right now he’s failing, badly! It’s indisputable!

I don’t imagine you’d have much luck convincing anyone on Shed End how wonderful the man is, that’s for sure! Have you tried? I am genuinely interested. (I certainly can’t imagine them being anywhere near as tolerant of you as we are, and I REALLY hope you appreciate the support you get on here.)

We now have RDZ. ‘We’ have moved on, we have embraced him, we support him and when you consider how things could’ve regressed under another manager, and the enormous disappointment we felt when GP left, we are feeling very pleased for ourselves, and greatly enjoying what we see AND the stats are positive.

Does that bother you? (Because you behave like it does.) You can’t possibly think any of your endless posts are going to be what convinces any of us otherwise, so why do you do it? What is your motivation and what do you imagine to be your ultimate reward? What is your end goal? Under the circumstances, do you really expect us to speak about GP more positively than we do RDZ?

Can you not appreciate why we feel the way in which we do and how distasteful many of us find your relentless desire to tell us we’re wrong? Do you genuinely lack the (interpersonal) intelligence to comprehend that? Ironically, I think you’d do well to try and improve your emotional intelligence.

This is a BHA forum! We are BHA fans. So don’t be surprised that we’re not a bit more impartial. Potter is no longer a BHA coach. He’s left! We are now backing our new coach, and if it’s alright with you, we would like to try to enjoy it, see the positives, (through Blue and White tinted glasses a little, maybe) support him and feel good about ourselves. Will you please try to understand that and stop trying to piss on our parade.

Yes, (rolls eyes) this is a thread specifically about Potters demise, but this is a BHA forum, for BHA fans first and foremost. Of course we’re going to take pleasure in his failings, he dumped us, we’re bitter. It’s human nature! It’s cathartic, and all part of the healing process. Why don’t you try to understand WHY we feel the way in which we feel and try to be a little/LOT more forgiving if we don’t feel sorry for him. (I’m actually beginning to tbh.)

Truth is you can spin the ‘stats’ however you choose and in reality it’s almost impossible re football specifically to draw a true, fair comparison of managerial success. No one game is the same. RDZ beating Liverpool this season and GP losing to Liverpool of last season for example cannot truly be compared. They’re very different teams right now. Equally true of many other teams. Managers change, available players change. The variables are endless. So, at what point could you or we genuinely concede that we’ve improved/regressed under RDZ without counter? It’ll be some while yet. GP was here for 3yrs, RDZ has been here 5m.

Things might soon dip under RDZ, they might get even better, and I for one would like to BELIEVE that they will. What matters to us is that it ‘FEELS’ better, the football feels considerably more positive, attacking , expansive and is DEFINITELY more entertaining to watch, live, in the stadium, and we’re VERY happy. Allow it! PLEASE!!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
We keep going over and over the same old ground on these Potter/Chelsea threads -

1. Chelsea having run of bad performance
2. BHA NSCers point finger at Potter
3. Swansman defends Potter
4. BHA fans say Potter was good for Brighton but RDZ now better
5. Swansman digs up stats to prove otherwise
6. BHA NSCers get pissed off and write long posts why Swansman is wrong
7. Goes quiet

Until

someone

starts

another

Potter thread …

Am I the only one getting really bored with so many Potter/Chelsea threads?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
BHA NSCers get pissed off and write long posts why Swansman is wrong

I wrote a long post, (please feel free to ignore me/my ramblings) I know a lot of words for some is even more offensive than Swansman, (in a GENUINE effort to try and find neutral ground, although being a BHA fan you’re almost certainly going to detect a degree of bias despite my very best effort to be impartial, kinda the point I was trying to make,) NOT because I’m pissed off, I’m not. I’m not even trying to prove him wrong either, just trying to give him something to think about beyond the stats and invoke a degree of restraint and positive change for all. Love him or hate him! I’m probably wasting my time and everyone else’s, you’re right, but I wanted to try!

Am I the only one getting really bored with so many Potter/Chelsea threads?

I’m not bored of the Potter/Chelsea threads, I’m bored of how fans of our club are having their every view challenged and scrutinised and fact checked by an ever present poster who doesn’t appreciate that a fans feelings about their club transcends numbers. It’s easy to be impartial, when you’re impartial but we care and although I come on here expecting a variety of views, positive and negative, that I may or may not agree with, it’s SO HARD to tolerate endless posts telling us how we, BHA fans, should feel about our ex coach, with such relentless intensity.

These are conversations re Potter/Chelsea on a BHA forum, not BHA conversations on a GP forum.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not bored of the Potter/Chelsea threads, I’m bored of how fans of our club are having their every view challenged and scrutinised and fact checked by an ever present poster who doesn’t appreciate that a fans feelings about their club transcends numbers. It’s easy to be impartial, when you’re impartial but we care and although I come on here expecting a variety of views, positive and negative, that I may or may not agree with, it’s SO HARD to tolerate endless posts telling us how we, BHA fans, should feel about our ex coach, with such relentless intensity.

These are conversations re Potter/Chelsea on a BHA forum, not BHA conversations on a GP forum.
Then stop feeling the beast.

Like you I'm not bored of Potter/Chelsea, how can something so funny be boring?

I just have no idea why posters interact with one who irks them so much (I know it's early but even I can see the irony). There's even a post telling him to stop interacting with everyone that @ ed him in, thereby guaranteeing a reply - you couldn't make it up.

Everyone, quite rightly, screamed for a policeman here in the build up to Brexit and yet this is exactly the same.

WE KNOW THE REPLY - SO WHY ASK THE QUESTION?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He should absolutely. Everyone should. Always.

It is the right way of watching things. But for those of us who are more technically minded than emotionally minded, it just becomes a bit mind-boggling at times.
I think you’re as emotionally minded as everyone you are replying to Swanny. Just different emotions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here