Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It is the gift that keeps on giving.
My opinion of Graham Potter has drastically changed in the last 6 months and I will tell you why.

Usually when a Manager replaces Chris when he gets sacked I start with the default position that I want to dislike because I know that they have been most likely negotiating contracts with the Club whilst Chris was still employed by the Club. I know this because I deal with a few Managers.

I hated Alan Pardew and Alex Neil with a vengeance because they were both arrogant f#ckers.

Graham Potter and Steve Cooper I just couldn't bring myself to dislike them. Firstly because they were very complimentary to Chris and second and most importantly. They came across as really nice blokes. Steve Cooper especially.

I mention thi about Potter because. In the past 6 months I have found him publicly distasteful. When he went to Brighton he came across as such a humble bloke and that's why I sort of warmed to him despite the fact that he took Chris job.

So this post isn't a sour grapes post for him walking out on Brighton because I had more cause to dislike him whe he walked into Brighton.

The man . His demeanor. His humble likeable qualities seem to me to have gone. I don't know the guy personally so I might be misjudging him but to me he now comes across as arrogant. He seems to me unwilling to accept responsibility when things are falling. That could be because he feels under pressure. But he courted that pressure by seeking to tout himself into such a high profile job.

So for me I care not one jot what happens to him. He started to tickle his own balls when the media started to elevate his stature. So for me my advice is. I hope he gets his previous humble self back because that is a much more endearing persona than his current one.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Will be quite surprised if he's not sacked over the weekend.
Doesn't make sense that Boehly is happy to spend half a billion in Jan, but not spend on a 'proven' top Prem-Euro manager.

I believe Potters 'no dickheads-policy' at Brighton was essentially 'I don't have the skills or experience to deal with big players/ego's in the team'.
Now his Chelsea team are full of them and he doesn't know how to best coach them.
You can hardly say Boehly scrimped on yeh coaching staff after he paid 20m to release Potter from his contract (and presumably offered a wage to match), which is a record as far as managerial compo is concerned, isn’t it?

Also, didn’t the no-dickheads policy predate Potter?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh. I'm expecting the news to come through tomorrow.

They'll look for a Pochettino type.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also, didn’t the no-dickheads policy predate Potter?
I don’t think it’s even a thing really , but yes was around under Hughton

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Just one other thought.

Has he been at Chelsea long enough for Swansman to be banned from the Chelsea Forum for any minor infractions?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
My opinion of Graham Potter has drastically changed in the last 6 months and I will tell you why.

Usually when a Manager replaces Chris when he gets sacked I start with the default position that I want to dislike because I know that they have been most likely negotiating contracts with the Club whilst Chris was still employed by the Club. I know this because I deal with a few Managers.

I hated Alan Pardew and Alex Neil with a vengeance because they were both arrogant f#ckers.

Graham Potter and Steve Cooper I just couldn't bring myself to dislike them. Firstly because they were very complimentary to Chris and second and most importantly. They came across as really nice blokes. Steve Cooper especially.

I mention thi about Potter because. In the past 6 months I have found him publicly distasteful. When he went to Brighton he came across as such a humble bloke and that's why I sort of warmed to him despite the fact that he took Chris job.

So this post isn't a sour grapes post for him walking out on Brighton because I had more cause to dislike him whe he walked into Brighton.

The man . His demeanor. His humble likeable qualities seem to me to have gone. I don't know the guy personally so I might be misjudging him but to me he now comes across as arrogant. He seems to me unwilling to accept responsibility when things are falling. That could be because he feels under pressure. But he courted that pressure by seeking to tout himself into such a high profile job.

So for me I care not one jot what happens to him. He started to tickle his own balls when the media started to elevate his stature. So for me my advice is. I hope he gets his previous humble self back because that is a much more endearing persona than his current one.
My feeling is he's a shallow individual with no personalty, who like a chameleon will change his skin to blend in with his surroundings. Therefore, while working at an honest club, run by good people, with high ambitions but with a strong sense of reality and understanding of the lie of the land, his behaviour reflected that. Now that he works at a ****ish club, run by an individual who is so obscenely wealthy to be utterly oblivious to any idea of "fair play", with a bloated squad full of overpriced, overpaid ponces, and a hideously entitled fan base.... well, we can see it all reflected in our Graham. The newly acquired habit of spitting on the sidelines says it all, really.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I never endeared to the man from the start, possibly because I thought Hughton deserved another season and did hear he had some really decent summer signings lined up. It didn’t take long for my suspicions to be right the first sign of criticism from the fans and the mask slipped. Another point the difference the Albion squads were when Potter left and Hughton left were ten fold a championship squad to £50m players. It still annoys me when people make these vast comparisons considering Potter didn’t really make that much of a difference for two seasons.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My feeling is he's a shallow individual with no personalty, who like a chameleon will change his skin to blend in with his surroundings. Therefore, while working at an honest club, run by good people, with high ambitions but with a strong sense of reality and understanding of the lie of the land, his behaviour reflected that. Now that he works at a ****ish club, run by an individual who is so obscenely wealthy to be utterly oblivious to any idea of "fair play", with a bloated squad full of overpriced, overpaid ponces, and a hideously entitled fan base.... well, we can see it all reflected in our Graham. The newly acquired habit of spitting on the sidelines says it all, really.
I agree with this, because:

a) At a mid sized club (us), clearly ‘lucky’ to have him, he took the fanbase to task post match over just a couple of hundred folk booing, then again later that week in a press conference. I think he was wrong, overly sensitive, it stirred up the media, he showed a lack of intelligence in not noting that 27,000 people hadn’t booed.

b) The boos ring out for months at Stamford Bridge and he says nothing critical.

That’s either cowardly because they have an aggressive fanbase, and/or he doesn’t want to wave goodbye to possibly his one chance to make it at mega-spender.

My guess is both.

Double standards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here