Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Last season we scored 42 goals in 38 games, 16 league games for Potter at Chelsea 11 goals. Yes we scored five against a piss poor Leicester side apart from that we didn’t score more than two in a game before he left. Hardly jumping to conclusions. Chelsea were the third highest scorers in the league under TT.

Chelsea started this season scoring 1 goal per game and have continued scoring at 1 goals per game.

We started this season scoring just under 2 goals per game and have continued at just under 2 goals per game.

Are you actually prepared to take down all our fine performances and wins just to criticise a previous manager?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
When you look at TT record at Chelsea they have clearly down graded.
I think that Boehly sees it as a step backwards in the short term to step forwards in the longer term. Tuchel is not renowned for building and it was obvious that the two crossed swords early on. He wanted someone to buy into a project. Seems weird that, at the same time as looking for a different approach, Boehly should make such a huge investment in players, but I suppose he has generally bought youth, particularly since Potter arrived.

He will need to be patient. There is lot to do at that club. The scale of the off-field changes will likely cause disruption and discord for some time yet. Potter is a process manager and he will need everyone to buy into the process. He was swift to deal with players in our squad who seemed like they didn't, but player power, when dealing with the likes of Aubameyang, is on a completely different scale.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Chelsea started this season scoring 1 goal per game and have continued scoring at 1 goals per game. I also only quoted league games which I think you will find us under one goal per game.

We started this season scoring just under 2 goals per game and have continued at just under 2 goals per game.

Are you actually prepared to take down all our fine performances and wins just to criticise a previous manager?
My criticism was his teams struggle to score goals people can disagree with the stats if they like.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
performance wise , Chelsea look like theyve turned it around and have gone from being shit to just unlucky. I fancy them to get on a run and smash someone soon. What we really need Saints to shock them tomorrow and take them back a few steps.

Suspect tomorrow will be a big win though.
Should count themselves lucky they are not facing Burnley at home after a run of poor outcomes

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Whilst Potter was with us I was always under the impression that club were reluctant to sign a new striker, now having watched Chelsea go absolutely berserk in the market and not sign a striker I’m starting to think it’s a Potter thing rather than Bloom not sanctioning a purchase. We know he loves to dominate possession, but does he really achieve it by sacrificing an actual striker? Before he left us we’d shifted Maupay leaving us, at the time, with Undav and Welbeck, he’s now running incredibly thin on strikers at Chelsea. Is his wet dream a team full of attacking midfielders who simply dominate the ball in the hope that one of them can actually finish a chance every once in a while?

To be fair, we’ve actually bought a few strikers, Undav, Tau, Zeqiri, Sima, off the top of my head. Most aren’t considered first team ready, and are out on loan or have been moved on.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
One league goal between that lot poor return for £23m.

Let’s hope our new striker scout unearths the magic player, and Ferguson continues to develop, and Undav continues to acclimatise to this league, and Welbeck stays fit.

I can’t see us going in for established PL strikers unless another Welbeck situation arises. I can’t see us paying a sizeable fee and competitive wages at PL level.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I always felt like I was in the minority. I respected the improvements he was making to two thirds of the game. But I wasn't enjoying myself, and the general consensus I saw on here was the majority happy with what they were seeing, happy with the progress from the Hughton days, happy to fall short on results because the performances were going in the right direction, and this was generally reflected in the polls.
Just to clarify, I never voted out on any of the polls (both because I recognised there was improvement, and because I try not to wish for people to lose their jobs). When I say I felt I was in a minority, I simply mean it felt like everyone else seemed way more enamoured with him than I was, happier with how things were going.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to clarify, I never voted out on any of the polls (both because I recognised there was improvement, and because I try not to wish for people to lose their jobs). When I say I felt I was in a minority, I simply mean it felt like everyone else seemed way more enamoured with him than I was, happier with how things were going.
If you weren't 100% 'in' with absolutely no questioning of The Supreme Leaders acumen, as far as the cult were concerned, you were the enemy.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why? Because you specifically stated that Potter's start at Chelsea reminded you of his start here. My memory of his start here was those first 11 games and a complete transformation of how we play football. So yeah, it's a selective run of games for how I remember his start at this club and it wasn't anything like his start at Chelsea.

If you want to expand your point into the whole of his tenure, fine, but that's not what you stated in the post I replied to.
His first half dozen or so games at Chelsea were decent enough, it's since then that he has not been getting results. The similarities are under-performing to xg, playing nice football to a draw, followed by a philisophical post match interview about progress and positives. I hope it takes him 2 and three quarter seasons there before he gets a decent run of results too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I need him to limp through his tenure until April as I'm already excited about behaving like a spanner at Stamford Bridge.

Sadly though one of three things will happen by then:-

1 - He'd have got his pooh together (like we know he can) and they'll humiliate us.
B - Todd sacks him after either Southampton or Dortmund.
Or
3 - Potter gets sacked the Monday morning of our game week.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Chelsea's scoring issues are there once again and the boos ring out at full time but what a win for Southampton - huge!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here