[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The thing that intrigues me most about Potter at Chelsea is that it's SO similar to how he started with us.

The patterns of play just seem so familiar - lots of possession, relatively few good quality chances, players missing sitters, tight games that end in a draw or the odd goal either way. Our defending in the first two seasons was worse, so at least he's tightened that up. He's still pissing off players and fans by tinkering too much, remember it took 3 seasons to get a settled team with us. This was my personal bugbear and I'm not just taking about the starting 11 before anyone brings that up, he often started the same 11 but with players in different roles.

When we were going through the same situation I used to read things on NSC like "if we had a clinical striker we'd be winning games 3-0", "you can't blame the manager for players missing easy chances" "you can't blame the manager for individual errors at the back".

I'm now firmly of the opinion that the buck stops with the manager for EVERYTHING. Players missing chances, unexplainable mistakes at the back and the extra helping of bad luck. It's because of the way he sets up the team and because he imprints his personality on the team.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You need to consider context more for making conclusions. Managerial impacts surely have to be considered by went on before and what changed.

Were Brighton scoring lots of goals when Potter arrived and did that decrease? Were Chelsea scoring lots of goals when Potter arrived and did that decrease? Likewise with Swansea, Osterunds etc.

As far as I am aware, Chelsea didn't sack Tuchel because Chelsea were scoring lots of goals and playing great football. We didn't want Potter to go because we were scoring lots of goals and playing great football. Vis-a-vis.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The thing that intrigues me most about Potter at Chelsea is that it's SO similar to how he started with us.

The patterns of play just seem so familiar - lots of possession, relatively few good quality chances, players missing sitters, tight games that end in a draw or the odd goal either way. Our defending in the first two seasons was worse, so at least he's tightened that up. He's still pissing off players and fans by tinkering too much, remember it took 3 seasons to get a settled team with us. This was my personal bugbear and I'm not just taking about the starting 11 before anyone brings that up, he often started the same 11 but with players in different roles.

When we were going through the same situation I used to read things on NSC like "if we had a clinical striker we'd be winning games 3-0", "you can't blame the manager for players missing easy chances" "you can't blame the manager for individual errors at the back".

I'm now firmly of the opinion that the buck stops with the manager for EVERYTHING. Players missing chances, unexplainable mistakes at the back and the extra helping of bad luck. It's because of the way he sets up the team and because he imprints his personality on the team.
Really? We were 8th after the first 11 games under Potter, won 4, drew 3, scoring 14 goals.

I'll caveat again I'm not defending Potter, just people's memories.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You need to consider context more for making conclusions. Managerial impacts surely have to be considered by went on before and what changed.

Were Brighton scoring lots of goals when Potter arrived and did that decrease? Were Chelsea scoring lots of goals when Potter arrived and did that decrease? Likewise with Swansea, Osterunds etc.

As far as I am aware, Chelsea didn't sack Tuchel because Chelsea were scoring lots of goals and playing great football. We didn't want Potter to go because we were scoring lots of goals and playing great football. Vis-a-vis.
Last season we scored 42 goals in 38 games, 16 league games for Potter at Chelsea 11 goals. Yes we scored five against a piss poor Leicester side apart from that we didnā€™t score more than two in a game before he left. Hardly jumping to conclusions. Chelsea were the third highest scorers in the league under TT.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Last season we scored 42 goals in 38 games, 16 league games for Potter at Chelsea 11 goals. Yes we scored five against a piss poor Leicester side apart from that we didnā€™t score more than two in a game before he left. Hardly jumping to conclusions. Chelsea were the third highest scorers in the league under TT.
You might want to consider last seasons home games against West Ham and MU in your deliberationsā€¦not that I disagree or agree with them

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
performance wise , Chelsea look like theyve turned it around and have gone from being shit to just unlucky. I fancy them to get on a run and smash someone soon. What we really need Saints to shock them tomorrow and take them back a few steps.

Suspect tomorrow will be a big win though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
performance wise , Chelsea look like theyve turned it around and have gone from being shit to just unlucky. I fancy them to get on a run and smash someone soon. What we really need Saints to shock them tomorrow and take them back a few steps.

Suspect tomorrow will be a big win though.
How many times did we say that šŸ˜‚ Burnley havenā€™t won away all season oh.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Really? We were 8th after the first 11 games under Potter, won 4, drew 3, scoring 14 goals.

I'll caveat again I'm not defending Potter, just people's memories.
Why just look at first 11 games? And why not mention goals conceded or the 4 games we lost?
I've just checked the results like you did and funnily enough we won our 10th and 11th games, so that's the perfect number to make it look a bit more favourable.

If I cherry pick the first 14 games under Potter we won 4, drew 3 and lost 7, scoring 16 and conceding 21.

But i wasn't really taking about the stats, I'm talking about how if felt watching the games for the first two and a half seasons and what I was discussing with my mates afterwards in the pub (and on here). The overriding feeling was, more often than not, that we dominated possession, didn't take our chances and conceded too many silly goals.

Undoubtedly Graham turned it around in the last quarter of 21/22 and results began to reflect the performances.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I know it's Jason Cundy, but it's a lovely bit of schadenfreude watching someone else experience the maddening frustration we are all so familiar with. I did that head in hands thing many, many times myself and I'm sure I'm not alone.

A more astute pundit would have spotted that buying a striker is, counter-intuitively, not the answer. We have 31 goals from midfield this season. Do things quicker in more space and their midfielders should be even more capable of scoring than ours are.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I know it's Jason Cundy, but it's a lovely bit of schadenfreude watching someone else experience the maddening frustration we are all so familiar with. I did that head in hands thing many, many times myself and I'm sure I'm not alone.

A more astute pundit would have spotted that buying a striker is, counter-intuitively, not the answer. We have 31 goals from midfield this season. Do things quicker in more space and their midfielders should be even more capable of scoring than ours are.
How does one get a new GIF like this one:ffsparr: added to NSC?

Asking for an ex-manager...

potter-face-palm.jpg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why just look at first 11 games? And why not mention goals conceded or the 4 games we lost?
I've just checked the results like you did and funnily enough we won our 10th and 11th games, so that's the perfect number to make it look a bit more favourable.

If I cherry pick the first 14 games under Potter we won 4, drew 3 and lost 7, scoring 16 and conceding 21.

But i wasn't really taking about the stats, I'm talking about how if felt watching the games for the first two and a half seasons and what I was discussing with my mates afterwards in the pub (and on here). The overriding feeling was, more often than not, that we dominated possession, didn't take our chances and conceded too many silly goals.

Undoubtedly Graham turned it around in the last quarter of 21/22 and results began to reflect the performances.
Why? Because you specifically stated that Potter's start at Chelsea reminded you of his start here. My memory of his start here was those first 11 games and a complete transformation of how we play football. So yeah, it's a selective run of games for how I remember his start at this club and it wasn't anything like his start at Chelsea.

If you want to expand your point into the whole of his tenure, fine, but that's not what you stated in the post I replied to.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Chelsea started this season scoring 1 goal per game and have continued scoring at 1 goals per game.

We started this season scoring just under 2 goals per game and have continued at just under 2 goals per game.

Are you actually prepared to take down all our fine performances and wins just to criticise a previous manager?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports