Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That squad has had hundred of millions of pounds pumped into it and the top managers are paid the big money to get a tune out of them and quickly.

I still think unless he gets at least 3 wins from next 5 league games and progresses in CL he is gone.

At the big clubs results are the currency of the manager not performances
Loads of pre-emptive stories suggesting that the CL doesn't matter, Potter to be given time etc.

We'll see, eh?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I just don't think Potter 'will learn' in time.

I think there are good reasons why, these days, top managers are so frequently former World Class players.

They have experience of working around top players at the height of their careers. The kind f characters, expectations, pressure... and of course the level of football required.

Potter doesn't have that - I have no doubt he can and will learn it - but time is not on his side at Chelsea.

He's a dead man walking.

I don't know that's necessarily true.

Of course there are some top managers that are former World Class players but then there's the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Henry that failed.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Potter makes the hardest thing in football look hard, RDZ makes it look easy.

It's actually only Potter's Chelsea that seem to be doing that. Potter's Brighton team was scoring 1.833 goals per EPL game this season. RDZ has only upped this slightly to 1.867. Meanwhile Chelsea have dropped from 1.333 under Tuchel to 0.75 per game under GP.

A per game table would look like this. Although obviously it doesn't account for the different sample sizes, nor the difficulty of the teams played, (Potter jumped ship leaving RDZ to face all of last season's top 4 within his first 6 games).

PlayedGFpgGapgPpg38 Game Season
Potter's Brighton
6​
1.83​
0.83​
2.17​
82.33​
Brighton both mgrs
21​
1.86​
1.33​
1.67​
63.33​
Tuchel's Chelsea
6​
1.33​
1.50​
1.67​
63.33​
RDZ's Brighton
15​
1.87​
1.53​
1.47​
55.73​
Chelsea both mgrs
22​
1.05​
1.00​
1.41​
53.55​
Potter's Chelsea
16​
0.75​
0.56​
1.31​
49.88​

In terms of finishes, in comparison with the 21/22 table: Potter's Brighton would have finished 3rd, Brighton / Tuchel's Chelsea 6th, RDZ's Brighton / Chelsea 8th & Potter's Chelsea 11th.

Interestingly, Potter has actually improved Chelsea's goal difference, which was -1 when Tuchel was sacked. Had GP's Chelsea team scored and conceded at his rate across the whole season so far, they would be rivalling Everton as lowest scorers, but would also rival Newcastle as lowest conceders. In all of their their league games under Potter, other than against us, they have conceded a third of a goal per game. We changed the overall average by scoring 12 times more than that against them.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ignoring the fact you were entirely wrong at labelling the ‘Potter Out’ stuff as a joke is quite funny.
My memory of the polls is: there were a few times, when things were going well, some people did start them as a joke. There were times early in poor runs when potter out threads were started and the overwhelming majority voted in. It was only toward the end of some of these bad runs that the potter outs came out in force. I wouldn't say they were ever the most divisive threads, but neither would I say that they were mostly joke threads.

Even the year we went 12 months with one home league win it felt like fans were still very much behind him, with the polls not turning against him until quite late in the year, as we were coming to the end of one of our frequent Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec collapses with 1 win in 16.

Then I remember it became a pattern. People became accepting of the long runs, small pockets were fed up with them and were always keen to start/bump the polls after losses. Then we'd have a good run and some people would jokingly start the in/out polls.

I think perhaps our memory is partially coloured by how we felt at the time. I didn't really embrace Potter. I was never angered by Hughton's football. Dulled into indifference, sure, and that is a much more relaxed and calm place to be than angry at how close to really really good we were. So struggled to really embrace Potter as 'the guy'. I don't think it helped that it didn't feel like Potter ever tried to get fans onside, even putting the history lesson comments aside, and never really felt bonded to him like he was 'one of us'.

I always felt like I was in the minority. I respected the improvements he was making to two thirds of the game. But I wasn't enjoying myself, and the general consensus I saw on here was the majority happy with what they were seeing, happy with the progress from the Hughton days, happy to fall short on results because the performances were going in the right direction, and this was generally reflected in the polls.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My memory of the polls is: there were a few times, when things were going well, some people did start them as a joke. There were times early in poor runs when potter out threads were started and the overwhelming majority voted in. It was only toward the end of some of these bad runs that the potter outs came out in force. I wouldn't say they were ever the most divisive threads, but neither would I say that they were mostly joke threads.

Even the year we went 12 months with one home league win it felt like fans were still very much behind him, with the polls not turning against him until quite late in the year, as we were coming to the end of one of our frequent Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec collapses with 1 win in 16.

Then I remember it became a pattern. People became accepting of the long runs, small pockets were fed up with them and were always keen to start/bump the polls after losses. Then we'd have a good run and some people would jokingly start the in/out polls.

I think perhaps our memory is partially coloured by how we felt at the time. I didn't really embrace Potter. I was never angered by Hughton's football. Dulled into indifference, sure, and that is a much more relaxed and calm place to be than angry at how close to really really good we were. So struggled to really embrace Potter as 'the guy'. I don't think it helped that it didn't feel like Potter ever tried to get fans onside, even putting the history lesson comments aside, and never really felt bonded to him like he was 'one of us'.

I always felt like I was in the minority. I respected the improvements he was making to two thirds of the game. But I wasn't enjoying myself, and the general consensus I saw on here was the majority happy with what they were seeing, happy with the progress from the Hughton days, happy to fall short on results because the performances were going in the right direction, and this was generally reflected in the polls.
Naturally my memory is centred around me (and I'm not even an only child).

I always felt 'we' were always IN, with the exception of a few outliers.
The sticking point being 'Im in but...'.

Sadly that 'but' was a red rag to a few who went out of their way to tell you how wrong you were, irrespective of how many times you replied 'I am in...'

I'm not just talking about the poster boy here either.
There were plenty in the cult and they were so relentless they probably did more damage to GPott's Albion legend than the great man himself.

I for one (despite promising to be a better poster) still can't help but throw out an occasional jab, purely to dig out the cult and not the man himself.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Had we finished 13th, GPott would still be here, we'd be demanding an actual striker, the team would be 10th and we'd be constantly told we don't understand football by GPotts fanclub.
Wasn't the difference between 9th and 13th based upon that final game of last season? In fact we jumped from 10th to 9th with Welbeck's stoppage time 3rd.

Re the difference between how we attack under Roberto versus Graham, I see the difference as De Zerbi risks conceding / losing to create opportunities to score/ win.

Although the passing/ possession style is similar, the willingness to take the risk to expose the opposition is what makes it often very exciting.

I was never a #PotterOut advocate and voted Potter In on every single poll on here, but his methods do have (IMHO) greater limitations than that of De Zerbi.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Excellently put. I was a bit more enthusiastic about Potter's time here than perhaps you were - but cult? Laughable! I generally didn't bother too much wth the 'Potter out' polls either - they weren't to be taken seriously as far as I was concerned.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, I just spent a bit of time on the search page. It's a little difficult because 'in/out' are too short or common to work in the search bar. I looked at threads on the big board with titles containing 'potter' started before September last year. So any titled something like 'Well? In or Out' aren't going to show up. But here we go:

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.376004/ 20/Oct/19
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.378543/ 29/Feb/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-out.383463/ 01/Nov/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.383476/ 02/Nov/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/has-to-be-done-potter-in-or-out.384338/ 13/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/the-official-potter-in-out-thread.384496/ 20/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-out-poll-27-12-2020.384657/ 27/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-out-poll-29-12-2020.384720/ 29/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/totays-when-should-potter-go-thread.384767/ 30/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.384840/ 02/Jan/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out-10-january-poll.384985/ 10/Jan/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.385228/ 21/Jan/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.385393/ 27/Jan/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/thre...do-yourself-a-favour-and-dont-open-it.385506/ 31/Jan/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.385622/ 03/Feb/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.386249/ 27/Feb/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out-or-fence.386417/ 06/Mar/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out.387928/ 18/May/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/should-tb-sack-potter.393586/ 12/Mar/22
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-out.395769/ 08/Aug/22

And who can forget

I may have missed some that didn't have obvious poll titles.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Yep, certainly not how I remember it.

I remember CH as spacing his victories out across his EPL tenure.
GPott's team and tactics clicked for bursts of excellence, picking off big scalps to boot.

But by jimminy he made us work for them.
Interestingly I was just looking at our results this time last year and we lost to Man utd on the 15th Feb at OT, (think Dunk was sent off?). We then got a shellacking at home to Burnley on the 19th, and lost the next 4. A 0-0 draw at home to Norwich was our first point in 7 games.
We then obviously had some great results between then and the end of the season, including the utd thrashing and wins against Spurs and Arsenal. By the time we got to the Leicester home game this season it did feel like Potter along with us were really starting to develop something special. Chelsea decided they wanted him and offered too much money for any sane man to turn down. My first thought was, it's too early for him, he's not ready. I also thought we would suffer, but the last 5 months has been an education in just how well this club is being run top to bottom.

I was always happy to have him as our manager, and probably still would be if he was still here, but he isn't. As has been said, he will get well compensated if he gets the push and will probably fetch up at a club like Southampton/Leeds. We're OK with RdZ. The only party that look likely to lose out is Chelsea.....which is nice!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
People can throw stats about to prove or disprove what ever they want. All I care about is how I feel about going to watch my team. I stopped going away under Hughton, enjoyed Potter but hated the home games now I look forward to every game.

Don't really care what stats say it's what my eyes witness and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I find this interesting reading Potter used to generally play with a three at the back with us, when he took over at Chelsea he played a three also picked up a few results along the way, we hammer them 4-1 and all of a sudden Grahams dropped his favoured line up and gone with a four. Before our game with Chelsea he was almost smirking at RDZ in a pre match interview saying well I can see what he’s trying to do 🙄😂
He’s seen us pick up results with RDZ’s tinkering and is trying very hard to emulate him still without the desired results.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's actually only Potter's Chelsea that seem to be doing that. Potter's Brighton team was scoring 1.833 goals per EPL game this season. RDZ has only upped this slightly to 1.867. Meanwhile Chelsea have dropped from 1.333 under Tuchel to 0.75 per game under GP.

A per game table would look like this. Although obviously it doesn't account for the different sample sizes, nor the difficulty of the teams played, (Potter jumped ship leaving RDZ to face all of last season's top 4 within his first 6 games).

PlayedGFpgGapgPpg38 Game Season
Potter's Brighton
6​
1.83​
0.83​
2.17​
82.33​
Brighton both mgrs
21​
1.86​
1.33​
1.67​
63.33​
Tuchel's Chelsea
6​
1.33​
1.50​
1.67​
63.33​
RDZ's Brighton
15​
1.87​
1.53​
1.47​
55.73​
Chelsea both mgrs
22​
1.05​
1.00​
1.41​
53.55​
Potter's Chelsea
16​
0.75​
0.56​
1.31​
49.88​

In terms of finishes, in comparison with the 21/22 table: Potter's Brighton would have finished 3rd, Brighton / Tuchel's Chelsea 6th, RDZ's Brighton / Chelsea 8th & Potter's Chelsea 11th.

Interestingly, Potter has actually improved Chelsea's goal difference, which was -1 when Tuchel was sacked. Had GP's Chelsea team scored and conceded at his rate across the whole season so far, they would be rivalling Everton as lowest scorers, but would also rival Newcastle as lowest conceders. In all of their their league games under Potter, other than against us, they have conceded a third of a goal per game. We changed the overall average by scoring 12 times more than that against them.
How about Potter over his full Brighton tenure against RDZ? I expect that would tell a different story :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
How about Potter over his full Brighton tenure against RDZ? I expect that would tell a different story :thumbsup:
Quite . . . It was only after easter thing started coming good, I said to my boss at work today ( Chelsea)

'you'll get there and start scoring plenty soon, it'll just click

in about 18 months. 😂

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

From my personal perspective Potter did improve our style of play compared to CH but we did have barren patches. That’s not a problem for me though as we were learning and trying to change from clinging on in the PL each season to becoming a more established PL team.

So I was happy to allow Potter those barren patches as we did need a more potent strike force and as a club we knew we had to give him time to develop the team and be patient.

I think it was only Arsenal away last year when our patience started to pay off and then 6 weeks into this season off he trots at the first opportunity.... That’s what hurts, I invested my patience in him and he buggered off just when it was starting to pay off. It would at least hurt less if he publicly said he had been approached by a club and was considering his options and then started discussions after a day or so rather than (literally apparently) jump on the first train to Chelsea to discuss terms and conditions.

I work with a Chelsea fan and there is no way they will be patient but I suppose if you are getting paid zillions a year that is the least of your troubles.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So, I just spent a bit of time on the search page. It's a little difficult because 'in/out' are too short or common to work in the search bar. I looked at threads on the big board with titles containing 'potter' started before September last year. So any titled something like 'Well? In or Out' aren't going to show up. But here we go:

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/has-to-be-done-potter-in-or-out.384338/ 13/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/the-official-potter-in-out-thread.384496/ 20/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-out-poll-27-12-2020.384657/ 27/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-out-poll-29-12-2020.384720/ 29/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/totays-when-should-potter-go-thread.384767/ 30/Dec/20
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out-10-january-poll.384985/ 10/Jan/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/thre...do-yourself-a-favour-and-dont-open-it.385506/ 31/Jan/21
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/potter-in-or-out-or-fence.386417/ 06/Mar/21

And who can forget

I used to get some abuse on those for not towing the Potter is great line 😂
That idiot who started the olive branch thread didn’t take into account it was the covid season a season of strange results all round and not to be taken particularly seriously.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We had a period under Potter where our last 3 home league wins were spread out over 2019, 2020, 2021! He did get us playing well but is far from the genius many claimed.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One more poll would be interesting. Score out of 10 for GPott. No potential and no process just how he did.

Sounds like we would have a big range but he'd land somewhere around a 7 I think.

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021

And who can forget

It was all a joke though apparently. Vagabond wonder what happened to him?”

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It was all a joke though apparently. Vagabond wonder what happened to him?”
Vagabond flounced as did " mustafa"....and has re-invented himself yet again under a new name. Not difficult to find him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here