[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nah…he’ll get a colossal payoff (even a year’s pay would take him 4-5 years to have earned with us) and another job when he wants, even if he has to step down a bit in terms of club /salary. If he does get fired can see him ending up at the FA.
Not disagreeing but if he stepped into another job too soon his pay off would be reduced, and 50% tax reduces the value to him even further.

The damage to his pride and seeing his “team” out of work with much smaller pay offs would hurt.

I think he’ll survive at least until they get knocked out of the CL.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I mean, this is either fishing or idiocy.

Whatever agenda you may have, Potter improved the Albion and without his changes to the way we played football I can near on guarantee that De Zerbi wouldn't be anywhere near taking the Brighton job. The move from Hughton > Potter > De Zerbi was a natural evolution, and without Potter in the middle, this style of play would be a long way from gracing the Amex.

Added to that, you say he'd never give Ferguson a chance, how do you know? He gave chances to Sanchez (a massive move at the time in the most high profile position if it went wrong), Caicedo (who was behind Bissouma and Mac Allister, so hardly held back), managed to get 30+ games out of Lamptey, oh, and did actually give Ferguson his first team debut at 17.
Nice bit of retrospective narrative-building there. You clearly don't remember the long dreary periods of possession-for-possession's sake, the endless tinkering, the weekly 'no end product in the final third' press mantra. As many others have honestly noted, turning up to watch a Potter side often felt like a chore. Not many could honestly say that about watching a RDZ side. I guess everybody sees what they want to see :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nice bit of retrospective narrative-building there. You clearly don't remember the long dreary periods of possession-for-possession's sake, the endless tinkering, the weekly 'no end product in the final third' press mantra. As many others have honestly noted, turning up to watch a Potter side often felt like a chore. Not many could honestly say that about watching a RDZ side. I guess everybody sees what they want to see :shrug:
Frustration was certainly a thing watching many GP games, however it beat the anger and disappointment of the last six months of CH by a country mile imo. I never thought “f*** it I’m not going today” under GP. I did and didn’t in latter day CH.

What we have now is much more exciting though. Potter like CH have both moved this club on from when they arrived, what’s not to like? This upward trajectory will go into reverse one day, enjoy the ride before it does, I am.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is very odd how they are following our pattern where good players suddenly can't score, yet have loads of chances.

In his interview last night he mentioned needing a bit of luck. I used to think this when he was with us. Perhaps he does need luck but fortune does favour the brave so you can see why we have become more free scoring. Perhaps he needs a lesson.
Let's not forget the fact the players who couldn't hit a cows arse while playing for GPott are now scoring with gay abandon.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
My view on Potter
a) Took us to our highest position following two season of transition (mediocrity)
b) Got lucky when Moder was injured and Caicedo introduced
c) Played some quite boring football where possession was more important than scoring. Some of it was excellent play but getting it in the box and shooting was not a forte.
d) Made a mountain out of a mole hill over the Leeds booing with the temerity to lecture fans who know more about history .
e) I am not sure what a degree in Emotional Intelligence really gives you but his dealing with the 'drink culture' was to remove it rather than cure it. Brave maybe but Duffy was POTS the year before he came
f) He was a step up from Hughton on what he delivered but did so with some better players
g) Most telling comment was Solly March this season who stated his improvement and goal scoring is down to the RDZ putting an arm around him (probably showing what I think is emotional intelligence)

I am not anti or pro Potter, he was a step in our improvement undoubtedly. Wish him no harm but not sure I want him to succeed as that will be at our expense. If someone had offered m 5 times my wages to do the same job I would have gone like a shot. Do dislike Chelsea for what they can do and that is the direction the PL is moving in.
I agree with all that but the most striking thing for me about Potter was how he immediately transitioned us from travelling to away games with dread to travelling knowing that we would have a go and land some punches. He deserves a lot of praise for that. He also brought in Sanchez over Ryan, fast tracked Alzate, wasn't afraid to blood new players. The Caciedo intro was a mistake, as he admitted, and I agree the club turning the corner was more to do with caceido than Potter.

In summary Potter dragged the club up and into a great playing style but i think he was over performing when he jumped. We've certainly improved since he left and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have seen Fergie getting minutes without him, and Mitoma would not have been as inflential either.

I'm loving seeing him, Bruno etc under pressure and getting criticism - his childish rants and complete lack of respect for this club is unforgivable. He'll bob around in the PL and similar leagues for a while but I don't think he'll recover his reputation that he'd grown with us. Thats what greed and lack of integrity and emotional maturity does.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Scoring few goals but playing brilliant football, noticed and appreciated by pundits and other clubs. Building and developing a team, making progress (and massive changes from the previous regime). 'Potter out' was mostly a joke - more akin to 'Barber out' than a serious compaign. As for a Potter cult, there isn't one; there was a one-man 'cult', thar one man no longer being on NSC. As for Caicedo, yes, he improved the team, so did replacing Duffy with Webster, Ryan with Sanchez, etc, etc. Making changes to improve the team - that was his job, and he did it.
Because of the way he left, it's quite understandable that people are rejoicing in his difficulties at Chelsea - it's just idiots that are going around saying, yeh, he was rubbbish here too. He wasn't.
Nearly all true but all Potters weaknesses which we saw here, are being really highlighted at Chelsea.

It’s no coincidence that Chelsea are suffering the same plight as we did for long periods of Potters reign here, obviously it’s all it’s buts and maybes but we could easily have finished 13th last season, a season that included a few terrible patches of form, in which all the flaws we are seeing now at Chelsea were well on show.

Given how freely we have been scoring almost immediately after he left, it must be noted that clearly some element of what potter was doing was holding our attackers back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nearly all true but all Potters weaknesses which we saw here, are being really highlighted at Chelsea.

It’s no coincidence that Chelsea are suffering the same plight as we did for long periods of Potters reign here, obviously it’s all it’s buts and maybes but we could easily have finished 13th last season, a season that included a few terrible patches of form, in which all the flaws we are seeing now at Chelsea were well on show.

Given how freely we have been scoring almost immediately after he left, it must be noted that clearly some element of what potter was doing was holding our attackers back.
Had we finished 13th, GPott would still be here, we'd be demanding an actual striker, the team would be 10th and we'd be constantly told we don't understand football by GPotts fanclub.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Astonishing that people are still obsessed with either praising and defending their beloved GPott or slating him as the anti christ.

Instead just enjoy watching a manager struggle after spending hundreds of million and describing managing us as an easy life.
It’s a discussion on a Potter thread no one is obsessed just two different points of view.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
You were right all along. You saw it before anyone else.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Last 15 league games Chelsea have scored 11 goals we have scored 28 I believe. It’s definitely Potters tactics that aren’t producing goals.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Last 15 league games Chelsea have scored 11 goals we have scored 28 I believe. It’s definitely Potters tactics that aren’t producing goals.
I used think we were just very unfortunate but it makes you question whether something is awry in his attacking coaching when you see some of the stats, it can’t be a coincidence or bad luck surely when it happens at both clubs over extended periods.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Scoring few goals but playing brilliant football, noticed and appreciated by pundits and other clubs. Building and developing a team, making progress (and massive changes from the previous regime). 'Potter out' was mostly a joke - more akin to 'Barber out' than a serious compaign. As for a Potter cult, there isn't one; there was a one-man 'cult', thar one man no longer being on NSC. As for Caicedo, yes, he improved the team, so did replacing Duffy with Webster, Ryan with Sanchez, etc, etc. Making changes to improve the team - that was his job, and he did it.
Because of the way he left, it's quite understandable that people are rejoicing in his difficulties at Chelsea - it's just idiots that are going around saying, yeh, he was rubbbish here
Because of the way he left, it's quite understandable that people are rejoicing in his difficulties at Chelsea - it's just idiots that are going around saying, yeh, he was rubbbish here too. He wasn't.
Now it’s you re-writing history. The Potter in/out polls and arguments were some of the angriest and divisive I have ever seen on here. It certainly wasn’t a joke. There were long spells where our football was dull boring pointless possession and got us beat regularly by the very worst teams in The division. His record v the bottom 5 teams was always horrendous. Yes it came good at the end and there were good spells in each season but whether you find high possession but hopeless at scoring football great is subjective opinion that you are trying to force on everyone as fact, and calling fellow fans who disagree idiots in the process.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Regarding us and Chelsea struggling to score under Potter, I go back to 'Shoot-gate'.

"Of course, the longer you go, you can hear the crowd ‘shoot, shoot, shoot’ and that sometimes is a challenge for the players.
"Because sometimes there’s an opportunity to shoot - sometimes it’s a chance for the block and then the transition. And sometimes maybe one more pass gets you in a better position but, if you miss the pass, you should have shot."

This always seemed to me that he overcomplicates it. I can see a certain logical line in saying don't just shoot, be aware of your surroundings, where your teammates are - are they in a better position to score? etc. But it always felt counterintuitive that if you find yourself in a goalscoring position, he wants you to think if it is a good goal scoring opportunity or a risk of turning over posession, where are your teammates, would they be better placed to shoot?

I admit I thought perhaps with players who have the quality to demand the fees and wages that Chelsea have, they would be able to do this better than us, be better and quicker at knowing where they are, where there teammates are, instinctively know if they were in a good goalscoring position or if they were more likely to kick it at a defender who would block and turnover position, but it seems not.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, there are certainly comparisons and coincidences there. What's going on aand why it's happening at Chelsea I don't know or care much about, but at Brighton t wasn't GP who scuffed all those guilt-edged chances, skied them into the stands or converting them into gentle back-passes to the opposition goalkeeper! We are scoring more now, but how much that's because the scuffers of all those chances, Maupay and Connolly - and now Trossard - are no longer leading our attacks - and neither are various other striking options availble to GP at various times; Locadia, Tau, Jahanbakhsh and Zeqiri - all no longer in the squad.
What we'll never know, of course, and what we can always debate, is whether, once having started to score freely under Potter, would we have kept doing it (personally I tended to think yes - others may differ). What will also be interesting is seeing if Potter eventually gets Chelsea scoring freely - that is something we may actually find out, rather than just speculate and argue about!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Is it really true that Potter’s Chelsea have won 4 games since he took over in early September? Those 4 wins coming against Palace, Bournemouth, Zagreb and Salzburg. I know they’ve been underperforming but I didn’t realise it was that bad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now it’s you re-writing history. The Potter in/out polls and arguments were some of the angriest and divisive I have ever seen on here. It certainly wasn’t a joke. There were long spells where our football was dull boring pointless possession and got us beat regularly by the very worst teams in The division. His record v the bottom 5 teams was always horrendous. Yes it came good at the end and there were good spells in each season but whether you find high possession but hopeless at scoring football great is subjective opinion that you are trying to force on everyone as fact, and calling fellow fans who disagree idiots in the process.
Sigh. So indignant you quote me twice. Potter moved us on greatly from the Hughton era (and no disrespect to Hughton who did a great job getting us up and keeping us up). The football was better under Potter than under Hughton - that's improvement, not incompetence. RDZ is doing great, but anyone who thinks that isn't in no small part due to the fact that he was able to build on his predecessors good work and the foundations laid for progressive football is ........... well ............you said it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Whilst Potter was with us I was always under the impression that club were reluctant to sign a new striker, now having watched Chelsea go absolutely berserk in the market and not sign a striker I’m starting to think it’s a Potter thing rather than Bloom not sanctioning a purchase. We know he loves to dominate possession, but does he really achieve it by sacrificing an actual striker? Before he left us we’d shifted Maupay leaving us, at the time, with Undav and Welbeck, he’s now running incredibly thin on strikers at Chelsea. Is his wet dream a team full of attacking midfielders who simply dominate the ball in the hope that one of them can actually finish a chance every once in a while?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Potter makes the hardest thing in football look hard, RDZ makes it look easy.

:goal:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports