[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Was trying to be indifferent and move on, but listening to Jason Cundy on Talksport last night and then Potters interview this morning, it really is deja vu, and in a way I feel Chelsea’s pain, the shirt design may have changed but it’s still for all the attractive football no end product and no real plan B to change things.

At times I can’t believe our luck, we’ve upgraded and got 20 million compensation in the process.

Happy days indeed ⚽

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
They’ll start winning regularly and comfortably soon unfortunately, their players are excellent and they’ve got a very good manager.

Silva, Enzo, Chilwell, James, Badiashile Kovacic and Mudryk and quality players and Felix is just wonderful - he’s the game changer for them.

I just don't think Potter 'will learn' in time.

I think there are good reasons why, these days, top managers are so frequently former World Class players.

They have experience of working around top players at the height of their careers. The kind f characters, expectations, pressure... and of course the level of football required.

Potter doesn't have that - I have no doubt he can and will learn it - but time is not on his side at Chelsea.

He's a dead man walking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Three wins in fifteen in all competitions since their humbling at the Amex
We (us fans) can take a lot of pride in that stat.

I think we rocked them to the core, we had the players backs, they had ours, and Chelsea didn't know what hit them.
The fact none of them 'bounced back' is very telling.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My view on Potter
a) Took us to our highest position following two season of transition (mediocrity)
b) Got lucky when Moder was injured and Caicedo introduced
c) Played some quite boring football where possession was more important than scoring. Some of it was excellent play but getting it in the box and shooting was not a forte.
d) Made a mountain out of a mole hill over the Leeds booing with the temerity to lecture fans who know more about history .
e) I am not sure what a degree in Emotional Intelligence really gives you but his dealing with the 'drink culture' was to remove it rather than cure it. Brave maybe but Duffy was POTS the year before he came
f) He was a step up from Hughton on what he delivered but did so with some better players
g) Most telling comment was Solly March this season who stated his improvement and goal scoring is down to the RDZ putting an arm around him (probably showing what I think is emotional intelligence)

I am not anti or pro Potter, he was a step in our improvement undoubtedly. Wish him no harm but not sure I want him to succeed as that will be at our expense. If someone had offered m 5 times my wages to do the same job I would have gone like a shot. Do dislike Chelsea for what they can do and that is the direction the PL is moving in.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don't be so precious, of course you can post your opinion. However if you come onto a thread called 'Potter at Chelsea' you shouldn't be surprised when most of the posts are about, er, Potter at Chelsea. (Some NSC thread titles are a bit opaque, this one however isn't). If you do think it's stupid and people are obsessed then fair enough - but expect people to challenge you.

Anyway, I think you protest too much. You wouldn't be reading this thread if you weren't secretly interested as well! :)
I'm not precious, nor do I think it's stupid that people are obsessed. I just don't get it, that's all.

Fair point about the thread title :thumbsup:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
They’ll start winning regularly and comfortably soon unfortunately, their players are excellent and they’ve got a very good manager.

Silva, Enzo, Chilwell, James, Badiashile Kovacic and Mudryk and quality players and Felix is just wonderful - he’s the game changer for them.
I would agree, however it’s interesting to see games seem to be following almost exactly the same pattern as when he struggled here, which despite the run towards the end, was quite common.

Lots of possession, lots of shots, lots of missed chances and not winning games, how long Chelsea as a club and fan base will tolerate that for I don’t know, certainly not for as long as we did when times were tough, I’m not sure he will be given the time to turn it around.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My view on Potter

If someone had offered m 5 times my wages to do the same job I would have gone like a shot. Do dislike Chelsea for what they can do and that is the direction the PL is moving in.
there’s the rub. It’s not the same job and the 5x salary is only worth it if he survives.

A job in the spotlight with no job satisfaction, harms your personal and family life, ruins your confidence and has the customers and owners doubting your ability cannot be a good place. Not saying this is Potter’s position but there must be times when he wishes he was back at “little old Brighton”

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was trying to be indifferent and move on, but listening to Jason Cundy on Talksport last night and then Potters interview this morning, it really is deja vu, and in a way I feel Chelsea’s pain, the shirt design may have changed but it’s still for all the attractive football no end product and no real plan B to change things.

At times I can’t believe our luck, we’ve upgraded and got 20 million compensation in the process.

Happy days indeed ⚽
There's definitely a pattern there now. 10th in the Championship with Swansea who went into the playoffs the season after under a new manager. Two seasons basically matching Hughton's record results wise, but playing different football, doing better against the better teams and improving some players (though arguably regressed Solly March and was reluctant to pay Caicedo and Mitoma). One good season making the top 10 aim Uncle Tone set for him and busting 50 points and a good start to this one. Thinking maybe the corner was turned and then he's offski and the pattern repeats.

I think it needs two or three seasons for his ideas to click and at Chelsea he's got to get 30 or so prima donnas bought into it. Their fans simply aren't going to be that patient. Let's see if Todd holds his nerve.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There's definitely a pattern there now. 10th in the Championship with Swansea who went into the playoffs the season after under a new manager. Two seasons basically matching Hughton's record results wise, but playing different football, doing better against the better teams and improving some players (though arguably regressed Solly March and was reluctant to pay Caicedo and Mitoma). One good season making the top 10 aim Uncle Tone set for him and busting 50 points and a good start to this one. Thinking maybe the corner was turned and then he's offski and the pattern repeats.

I think it needs two or three seasons for his ideas to click and at Chelsea he's got to get 50 or so prima donnas bought into it. Their fans simply aren't going to be that patient. Let's see if Todd holds his nerve.
Slight amendment to account for this coming summer’s recruitment

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I think it needs two or three seasons for his ideas to click and at Chelsea he's got to get 30 or so prima donnas bought into it. Their fans simply aren't going to be that patient. Let's see if Todd holds his nerve.
It is very odd how they are following our pattern where good players suddenly can't score, yet have loads of chances.

In his interview last night he mentioned needing a bit of luck. I used to think this when he was with us. Perhaps he does need luck but fortune does favour the brave so you can see why we have become more free scoring. Perhaps he needs a lesson.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
No, calling people who try to re-write history idiots is just politely pointing out their.........err...........idiocy. We were all on a high after that Leicester match, after thrashing United, and after beating them at OT. Calling for the sacking of our incompetent manager then were we? Well, maybe there were one or two idiots ........................ :facepalm:
No there weren't many then, but in his first two seasons around half the users on NSC were saying Potter out in the weekly polls because we were on runs that would have seen him sacked at almost every other prem club. We had long shockingly poor goalless runs every season he was our manager. At times the football at home was dire so I'd suggest its you that are re-writing history because of a ten or so game streak at the back of last season and the start of this one that happened to coincide with Caceido playing, who Potter had totally ignored and left on the bench for 3 months prior. Maybe you're the idiot for not recognising why Brighton fans aren't all in the Potter Cult with you, and are enjoying the struggles of a guy who never ever really cared about our club and raided the cupboards bare when he jumped ship.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
there’s the rub. It’s not the same job and the 5x salary is only worth it if he survives.
Nah…he’ll get a colossal payoff (even a year’s pay would take him 4-5 years to have earned with us) and another job when he wants, even if he has to step down a bit in terms of club /salary. If he does get fired can see him ending up at the FA.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I continue to believe he will come good, they have a slate of very winnable matches coming up and it wouldn't be a surprise to see them overhaul us within the next few weeks.
Nevermind Chelsea, I don't think Potter even came good at the Albion. I believe it was the players that came good. And came good despite him, not because of him. Potter spent forever trying to come up with a formation that clicked (nobody remembers that season NSC actually ran a weekly competition asking us to correctly guess his starting eleven?). He was very slow in seeing the potential of, say, Caicedo or Mitoma, and nowhere in a million years would he have given an EPL start to Ferguson. IMHO he was over-promoted into the Albion job, let alone the Chelsea job. Oh well, he's their problem now :shrug:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

The Chelsea job is a whole new ball game though, Potter's Achilles heel is that his style of play struggle against very defensive teams which is what most of Chelsea's £billion team will face, home and away. Visiting teams to the Amex were often wary of us and played defensively, leading to a terrible home record, the exceptions being the bigger teams who couldn't bring themselves to shut up shop against #teamslikebrighton. However when teams were at home to Brighton they usually played more expansive football which then gave our potterball team more opportunities, leading to an excellent away record. This will not be the case for Chelsea.

I don't think two or three seasons of Potter would really see much of change at Chelsea, the players are already individually very good meaning his coaching will not have a massive impact so then it just becomes can Potter's tactics break defensive teams down? The evidence suggests not. Unless he changes his on pitch philosophy I can't see them wining the league under him.

On a side note it is a bit harsh to bring up Swansea, they were in a tailspin and had had a fire sale before he got there, if we hadn't poached him after his first season I have no doubt he would have done just as well as Cooper did. As with us later on, he did a very good job of laying the groundwork for another manager to take over.

Oh and Potter only had Mitoma here for 6 premier league games (pre-desertion) and was already easing him with substitute appearances in pretty much every game, maybe just focus on Caicedo for the not playing soon enough argument. However in addition to Solly not flourishing I would add Groß was not used correctly for a lot of the time too, so much so a lot of fans were writing him off when his first contract ended.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Nevermind Chelsea, I don't think Potter even came good at the Albion. I believe it was the players that came good. And came good despite him, not because of him. Potter spent forever trying to come up with a formation that clicked (nobody remembers that season NSC actually ran a weekly competition asking us to correctly guess his starting eleven?). He was very slow in seeing the potential of, say, Caicedo or Mitoma, and nowhere in a million years would he have given an EPL start to Ferguson. IMHO he was over-promoted into the Albion job, let alone the Chelsea job. Oh well, he's their problem now :shrug:
I mean, this is either fishing or idiocy.

Whatever agenda you may have, Potter improved the Albion and without his changes to the way we played football I can near on guarantee that De Zerbi wouldn't be anywhere near taking the Brighton job. The move from Hughton > Potter > De Zerbi was a natural evolution, and without Potter in the middle, this style of play would be a long way from gracing the Amex.

Added to that, you say he'd never give Ferguson a chance, how do you know? He gave chances to Sanchez (a massive move at the time in the most high profile position if it went wrong), Caicedo (who was behind Bissouma and Mac Allister, so hardly held back), managed to get 30+ games out of Lamptey, oh, and did actually give Ferguson his first team debut at 17.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No there weren't many then, but in his first two seasons around half the users on NSC were saying Potter out in the weekly polls because we were on runs that would have seen him sacked at almost every other prem club. We had long shockingly poor goalless runs every season he was our manager. At times the football at home was dire so I'd suggest its you that are re-writing history because of a ten or so game streak at the back of last season and the start of this one that happened to coincide with Caceido playing, who Potter had totally ignored and left on the bench for 3 months prior. Maybe you're the idiot for not recognising why Brighton fans aren't all in the Potter Cult with you, and are enjoying the struggles of a guy who never ever really cared about our club and raided the cupboards bare when he jumped ship.
Scoring few goals but playing brilliant football, noticed and appreciated by pundits and other clubs. Building and developing a team, making progress (and massive changes from the previous regime). 'Potter out' was mostly a joke - more akin to 'Barber out' than a serious compaign. As for a Potter cult, there isn't one; there was a one-man 'cult', thar one man no longer being on NSC. As for Caicedo, yes, he improved the team, so did replacing Duffy with Webster, Ryan with Sanchez, etc, etc. Making changes to improve the team - that was his job, and he did it.
Because of the way he left, it's quite understandable that people are rejoicing in his difficulties at Chelsea - it's just idiots that are going around saying, yeh, he was rubbish here too. He wasn't.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports