Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Away at Southampton on boxing day, Gus got a wide round of applause that was discussed on here. We've either forgiven or forgotten his ceiling and now remember the League 1 season finishing above a Saints team containing Lallana, Morgan Schneiderlin, Rickie Lambert, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and Dean Hammond rather than the tumultuous exit. I'd have clapped him but I'm sure you can find plenty of posts of mine on here saying otherwise.

I suspect it will be the same with Potter. In time, he will be remembered differently especially if we win something or make top 7 where he will be seen to have laid the foundations. For now though, I am highly amused about his tin can references, getting beat 4-0, reminding him about Chelsea's trophy laden FA Cup history and hoping it all turns to shit. I'm not prepared to forgive the way he left just yet anyway or his snipey comments whilst he was here.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It’s just a bit nonsense though - there is no world where Chelsea, or Potter, allowed Tuchel to have the first month of the season before pulling the trigger. Potter would have wanted pre-season to start to put his ideas in motion instead of being chucked in just after the transfer window closed.

I’ve no doubt it was going on for a few days before the official approach but to think it’s something months in the pipeline is just illogical for all parties.
It is possible that Boehly made it known that he would likely come for Potter, if he couldn't find a way to work with Tuchel.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is no way he wasn't tapped up b4 the approach became official. It was months in the making and Chelski were just waiting for the right time to ditch Tuchel. Probably if the truth ever came out the same could be said about the backroom staff as well.
'Months in the making'; Boehly only completed the takeover at the end of May. I'm not so sure, why wouldn't he get it done in the summer allowing the new team to have a say in transfers if he was planning it?

Think you're giving Boehly too much credit for long term planning. Think he got in, at first thought he could work with Tuchel and build his version of the club around him, but the pair fell out / Boehly realised he couldn't work with him. It might be that some of Brighton's backroom staff were a target before Potter was, such as some of the recruitment positions. If he really planned it for months then waited for September, it really was a dumbass move.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Talkshite going to town on Potter atm, they are saying he should never have been considered for the role. " His only claim to fame is taking Brighton to 9th ".. they keep mentioning his oddball habit of playing players out of position and his inability to change a losing formation with his subs.. I think he's safe for now but, its not looking good.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hmm. I appreciate the sentiment, but if after Chelsea he ends up at another club at our level (Southampton, Leeds, Forest, West Ham etc) and works his magic on them then it WILL affect us as we'll have another rival for 'Top Team Outside The Big Seven'.
TBH, if he gets sacked at Chelsea, he will have to look at an ambitious Championship club as his way back, a long way off being legitimate rivals to us in our current position.

See you’ve got me talking about it when I shouldn’t 🙈 Bad man 😂

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Reports at the time suggested that Tuchel never saw his sacking coming and then was practically begging to stay in the job

Strangely I heard the exact opposite - after going through a messy divorce in the summer and having Boehly try to get him to sign Ronaldo all summer, Tuchel was keen to get out of Chelsea asap and made that clear to everyone at CFC...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes and widely reported during the summer that Tuchel had basically been ignoring Boehlys calls

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
All this starlizard stuff makes me look worryingly back at our signings pre Ashworth and Winstanley and wondering what the machines were up to then?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Boehly wanted a 'collaborative approach' ie a Yes Man. A bit like that beardy crypto-twat at Crawley. How's that all working out you fellas? :lol:
If you have a leading role in a big coroporation and go in front of the TV cameras and say "no I don't agree with anything the owner says or does", you get sacked. Goes for all 20 PL clubs and awful lot of other places as well :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All this starlizard stuff makes me look worryingly back at our signings pre Ashworth and Winstanley and wondering what the machines were up to then?
It only really started to scale up around 2014 - plus there is still some human element of identifying and securing players, the models just help find those ‘under the radar’

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Talkshite going to town on Potter atm, they are saying he should never have been considered for the role. " His only claim to fame is taking Brighton to 9th ".. they keep mentioning his oddball habit of playing players out of position and his inability to change a losing formation with his subs.. I think he's safe for now but, its not looking good.
Has this radio feature been interrupted by a 16 minute Trust-A-Trader ad at any point?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Interesting comment, at least to me, amongst the comments on the BBC website

'Common knowledge in Sussex that Potter and his wife were looking at property in West London before the season started. His wife couldn`t keep it to herself in the school playground. Then he gutted the backroom staff and now he is apparently after Trossard and Caicedo. Hence the reception he got when Chelsea came down. If he wants to chase the money that`s up to him but no sympathy for him.'

So it seems there could well have been plotting and planning for his move before the season started. Not surprising really and I guess the club would have known and got their own plans in place too.

GP was good for us but is not good enough for a top 6 club. He could do with some PR training for a start.

I initially misread this and thought he was gutting the back bedroom / bathroom in reference to his West London move - some scoop!

I’d say this falls down as there’s no reason for him to live in west London where as his day to day would be in Cobham. He could slum it in Oxshott

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here