Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It fits half the synopsis, Mudryk is 22 and likely to improve - but yeah its a big cost. However, Chelsea right now needs players who can contribute immediately rather than having to wait one or two years, and that is going to cost. I expect them to be very active on the market this year and then perhaps chill down.
So for the immediate future, Chelsea at Boehly’s behest, will be spending silly money on Champions League proven players (young or otherwise) - that seems very different to me compared to Brighton’s sustainable steady development strategy and the success of TB/PB with bringing in raw talent - What about Cucurella as just as an example? We paid £18m for him, largely unknown in the transfer market, when he was 23 yrs old and he ’contributed immediately’ because we also ‘needed players immediately’. Chelsea bought him for £63 million by the end of his first season because they want instant gratification - Mudryk for example, would cost Chelsea a similar price as we sold Cucu for (if Arse dont beat them to the punch) - So until they are ‘happy’ with the team and they are competing for the Champions League again, can we expect to see more big spends?

- lets see if Chelsea, using our ex-backroom staff and PW can find an £18m youngster in January that will turn out to be their player of the calendar year and that they can sell on for 3 x that next January, if not, doesn’t really sound like Boehly has the patience or foresight to let our ex-staff do the job they were so good at when they had Tony Blooms wizardry behind them.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Still got a bit of affection for Potter because of the transformation from CH style to his. Soured by the way he left and who he took.

Was interesting to see the Citeh Chelsea FA Cup game and how Chelsea looked like we did under Potter. Lots of ineffective passing about and toothless in attack and never looked like we'll score.

But can't stand Chelsea.

With RDZ being an upgrade, I voted indifferent as it's hard to want Potter to do ok and yet Chelsea to do crap. Would be different if we'd not been so clever in the replacement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes exactly my original points in my first post on this thread. The way I see it, it’s the algorithms Tony’s system uses and the creative interpretation of that data that makes him such a successful business owner for us. Even Benham pinching Bloom’s business model at Starlizard hasn’t been as successful for Brentford as Tony has been for Brighton.

As far as GP is concerned, good luck to him - I’ve moved on from any ‘sour grape’ remonstrations weeks ago - in fact as soon as RDZ was signed, trusting in the Club’s well run strategies that ensure replacement for any member of staff is very quickly filled by someone that could do the job as well if not better - Replacing key staff, not by just employing the first 4 or 5 candidates that come along but by bringing in people that they have been watching and analysing for years (or moving staff up internally as they have with Crofty). Same thing when we sell our best players - the club is already creatively crunching data on possible recruits months even years ahead of time which makes me not concerned about Boehly’s Chelsea doing transfer swoops (or any of the other Big 7).

I honestly can‘t see what GP can achieve that Tuchel wouldn't have been able to anyway, if he had had Boehly to ‘be patient’ and accept the ‘suffering’! GP’s appointment at Chelsea and Boehly trying to squeeze round pegs into square holes with their recruitment of very expensive players looks to me that Boehly‘s business model is to throw millions of bucks blindly against the wall in the eventual hope something will stick! They are a club still very susceptible to fan pressure though so let’s see how far that ‘business model’ takes them.
Yep. see post 145. Chelsea have made the mistake of buying an extremely complex piece of kit without the instruction manual.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Last edited:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Interesting comment, at least to me, amongst the comments on the BBC website

'Common knowledge in Sussex that Potter and his wife were looking at property in West London before the season started. His wife couldn`t keep it to herself in the school playground. Then he gutted the backroom staff and now he is apparently after Trossard and Caicedo. Hence the reception he got when Chelsea came down. If he wants to chase the money that`s up to him but no sympathy for him.'

So it seems there could well have been plotting and planning for his move before the season started. Not surprising really and I guess the club would have known and got their own plans in place too.

GP was good for us but is not good enough for a top 6 club. He could do with some PR training for a start.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

'Common knowledge in Sussex that Potter and his wife were looking at property in West London before the season started. His wife couldn`t keep it to herself in the school playground. Then he gutted the backroom staff and now he is apparently after Trossard and Caicedo. Hence the reception he got when Chelsea came down. If he wants to chase the money that`s up to him but no sympathy for him.'

So it seems there could well have been plotting and planning for his move before the season started. Not surprising really and I guess the club would have known and got their own plans in place too.

GP was good for us but is not good enough for a top 6 club. He could do with some PR training for a start.
Definitely sounds like some legit ITK knowledge there.

I did hear Bruno was researching beard grooming places near South Kensington though so could be legit

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

There is no way he wasn't tapped up b4 the approach became official. It was months in the making and Chelski were just waiting for the right time to ditch Tuchel. Probably if the truth ever came out the same could be said about the backroom staff as well.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Being that most of the job role is in Cobham, somewhere near there would be better.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is no way he wasn't tapped up b4 the approach became official. It was months in the making and Chelski were just waiting for the right time to ditch Tuchel. Probably if the truth ever came out the same could be said about the backroom staff as well.
I said that at the time and many derided my posts. I spoke to someone at the club back then their thoughts and he agreed, there was no doubt conversations were well advanced before that dreaded day. He would know how these things happen being he played for a number of clubs including ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjd

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This window will be crucial for Potter, I think. Mudryk or no Mudryk, the window will only be a success if Potter (or the reccruitment team) manages to find some other teams to take at least three overpaid under-performing self-styled superstars off Chelsea's books - or at least out on loan and out of the squad.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

It’s just a bit nonsense though - there is no world where Chelsea, or Potter, allowed Tuchel to have the first month of the season before pulling the trigger. Potter would have wanted pre-season to start to put his ideas in motion instead of being chucked in just after the transfer window closed.

I’ve no doubt it was going on for a few days before the official approach but to think it’s something months in the pipeline is just illogical for all parties.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I want him to fail and for Bruno and Ben to come home. But Bruno be more of a fitness/lifestyle coach and help the South Americans settle than an attacking coach.
Plus Bruno making out with Calde behind the bleachers when RDZ’s back’s turned. Bromance-tastic and a win-win all round.
:amex:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With GP they get a manager that has a process, the process takes time, and he is running out of it. It also requires players willing to buy into what he wants them to do, and it seems he hasn't got enough of those there currently, they have to buy players this window, but the recruitment team is not well set, may have too many differing opinions in it, and I suspect they will be working as hard to offload a last big pay packet player in Aubameyang, and a few others that are going to be hard to find takers for at their current wage. Does Potter even know which players are not going to work for him, I doubt any are openly saying it, are any of the injured players swinging the lead a bit, preferring to sit out a while until Potter finds his feet or fucks off?
Chelsea have always bought good young players that should turn into top class footballers, but they rarely have the patience to see it through, and end up shifting them on.
It might be his process. Which seems like it involves umpteen iterations of trial and error. The Albion were clearly up for indulging his nonsense. Chelsea? Not so much :lol:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Not sure that finding them has ever been a problem for Chelsea, finding a place for them in the first team has though. I think GP is trying to integrate youngsters already, it’ll just take time and patience for it to work with a shit load of pissed off superstars making waves and downing tools. Toxic hardly covers it, will Boehly hold his nerve, will GP crack?

And it is easier to integrate young players in a mid-table team - but a team whose supporters think they need top four. It just does not happen very often.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm indifferent.

That said perhaps the main takeaway here is that rather than bringing in a manager to reshape the club, Brighton have brought in their last two head coaches to fit how they have been reshaping the club.

I'd add Poyet, Garcia and even Hyppia to that recruitment criteria. Hughton is still a legend for his achievements with us but was a much needed pragmatic appointment at the time.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove

Graham Plotter :mad:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I am completely conflicted about Mr Potter.

His contribution to our present success should never be understated and while he was with us I was always predisposed in his favour: He is articulate, created a strong positive team spirit and oversaw some great results and wonderful memories.

In effect he moved us on to a higher level after the fine herculean work Chris Hughton completed in getting us into the Premier League.

However... in my opinion he grasped the first real opportunity (although he claims otherwise) to capitalise on his achievements with us and leave for a mega-rich club; he completely gutted our management team and (temporarily) dashed the hopes of thousands of supporters who had never enjoyed such success (and often sheer joy) in following the club. To add to this, I was unimpressed with his open letter to the fans which I thought was predictable, flat and fomulaic.

It's obvious he was on the radar of bigger clubs but the timing and way of his going left a bad feeling.

Overall I suppose there is some horrible balance in there and I wish him neither ill nor good.

....just as long as we finish above Chelsea.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here