Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter in

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
All this deliberation on potter in or out, who’s the best defenders, sack everyone etc.... all were short of is two decent strikers and have been for a while. Where these strikers come from is another matter but that’s the only problem we have in my opinion.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
As is often the way with NSC, it divides into extremes.
You’re a bedwetter or a happyclapper.
It’s not as simple as that, in reality.
Would anyone dispute that the club’s vision is a good one? To Play stylish football, bring through youth, community club etc.
Equally would anyone dispute there are some fundamental problems with the first team ? Clearest example - our pitiful set pieces, which smell of poor coaching. Does it make you negative to point this out? Are you positive to not acknowledge it, or are you just conveniently turning a blind eye?
Both sides are right, it just depends which way you look at it.
Personally, I’m Potter in. He’s one cog in a broad club vision that I admire. We are trying to do something special. It’s just not proving very easy.
I’d be very happy if an assistant coach with top level experience was brought in though. Something is lacking.

Well said. Set pieces must improve. Mac Allister for Gross?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
All in all, we aren't far away but our problem is the biggest problem of all, goalscoring. Potter can talk till the cows come home about quality of performance but it counts for nothing if you can't score. You look through our whole squad and there just aren't enough goals anywhere, particularly midfield. He is not going to wave a magic wand and goals are suddenly going to start flowing. We lack natural goalscorers full stop. Nothing else matters until this is addressed.

Respectfully I dont think scoring goals is our biggest problem. 9 teams have scored more than us, which include the top 5 and Chelsea. If the expectation is that we should be scoring more means that expectations are we should be competing with those top sides, then its unrealistic. But if the expectation is we should be competing with the teams that have scored a couple more than us, then that's really not that big a problem.

I think our biggest problem is we havent been able to see out games when we've had the lead. If anything our problem is we're probably conceding too many. But I expect us to steady the ship, and I think Dunk returning will have a big impact on our defending and confidence.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Potter is great, getting rid of him shouldn't even be a consideration.

He has turned us into team that is hard to beat whilst playing great football. As I said elsewhere, it's not his fault the players crap themselves in front of goal at the moment. I'm confident the goals will come though if we keep playing as we are. Especially as Welbeck and Lallana improve their match fitness, they have real ability at this level.

And all the while we have Lamptey in the side, anything is possible!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Respectfully I dont think scoring goals is our biggest problem. 9 teams have scored more than us, which include the top 5 and Chelsea. If the expectation is that we should be scoring more means that expectations are we should be competing with those top sides, then its unrealistic. But if the expectation is we should be competing with the teams that have scored a couple more than us, then that's really not that big a problem.

I think our biggest problem is we havent been able to see out games when we've had the lead. If anything our problem is we're probably conceding too many. But I expect us to steady the ship, and I think Dunk returning will have a big impact on our defending and confidence.

Interesting points.

I haven't looked at the main board yet this morning for fear of a depressing encounter with another 5 new threads calling for 'the club' to sack Tony Bloom and bring in Alan Sugar.

In the cold light of day, I agree with you. The trouble is that we (and I include myelf in this) see patterns that don't exist, and extrapolate them. That's why some folk are convinced we will be relegated if Potter stays and, likewise, cannot understand why Potter cannot 'see' the 'obvious' changes he needs to make.

I can see Potter asking the players to take fewer touches in and around the box and shoot earlier (incidentally we had an insane number of touches in and around the box yesterday). Then, if we fail to score it will be 'why are they shooting so early?'. Once you have crossed the rubicon of discontent, everything seems like it's shit. It.....really, really insn't.

All I can say is patience is a virtue, albeit it is incompatible with the visceral emotional release many seek in football, exemplified by those who would rather we be penalised by false decisions that cost us matches than wait a few seconds for a VAR decision.

I was always one of those who stood quietly in the Sounth Stand, not joining in with the chanting, but getting very animated when we scored. It wasn't till my 40s that I went full 'ee aye addio', three pints before kick off and no holds barred. But for me, what's felt at the game is like what's said at the game - it stays at the game (something @Dick Knight's mumm once used to say to his lad to preclude any eyebrow raising about 'language' - and any injudicious reminiscences later in front of mum, no doubt :lolol:).

Yes, during the game yesterday I was jumping up and down and shouting (my football compainion, a Liverpudlian in his late 70s was alarmed). I was cursing Potter and digging out several of the players. It's.....the moment. In the harsh light of my kitchen, 30 minutes after final whistle, **** it, this is the best squad we have ever had, and we are one or two head wobbles and mojo massages away from the football equivalent of a soapy tit ****.

Can't wait for the next game :rave::rave::rave:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Addendum to the last post. **** me. My estimate of five new threads calling for heads to roll, etc., was sadly an under-estimate, I see. Not going near any of that shit or I may earn a ban for abuse. Grow up, people, for ****'s sake.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes, Potter in. And yes, I'm greatly enjoying the style of football that we're playing under him. It's still a refreshing change from the dour borefest previously.

But IMHO we've been at least one striker light for several seasons now. It's astonishing that it's been allowed to continue for such a long time.

Set-pieces are woeful at both ends. Exactly how many CBs do we need when we fail to adequately mark players with 3 of them?

It's very positive that with the addition of players like Lallana and Welbeck, there's real quality being introduced.

However that's negated with us being so wasteful in attack despite the plethora of chances created.

Until we sort out the finishing, we'll continue to underperform.

And fans will continue to speak uncomfortable truths.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
100% Potter in.

There’s definitely some unhinged opinions across social media (moreso than here), where some are very negative to GP and want him out. This was after the Everton and Spurs games. I guess we should be beating teams like that...

Look at the facts since Graham P has taken over:
- A definite technical improvement across the squad
- we can play and switch multiple systems and formations
- capable of dominating possession against any team
- not afraid of blooding our youngsters
- is increasing the value of many of our young players
- play well enough to get something out of nearly all our games (no abject Alamo surrendering away from home as we had with prior managers)
- at times one of the best footballing Albion teams I’ve seen in my time
- Lallana is going to be immense. What a lovely cultured player we have wearing our shirt
- Lamptey is capable of being world class

We are so close to something very special happening. If haters can’t see any of the above points I question if they’ve really been watching football very long.

The one criticism I have is the lack of a quality striker. And it seems fairly obvious and provable to me we lack a real cutting edge. From my understanding, we have a recruitment team, and harsh as it is, that’s a failing on them.

A top striker would be scoring 25 goals in this team. Welbeck’s a nice addition, but he’s not the answer.

So I keep the faith with Potter 100%. But recruitment has to be better.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It should be noted not all criticism of Potter and the team automatically puts people in the "Potter out" category. I was fairly strident in my criticism of Potter and the team last night, and will continue to be until we start getting the results we need, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily Potter Out at this time.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Playing some lovely stuff, streets ahead of where we were even a season ago, but you can see how this team could really blossom. Just someone get their shooting boots on.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Whilst I’ve been quite vocal about the piss poor window to play this style of football and make it successful takes time, Klopp took a few years (with much better players) Pep was not that great first couple of seasons again much better players. Potter obviously is a top coach give him time and wait for the results to change. We aren’t losing that many.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I watched Benfica v Rangers the other night. When Nunez scored the late equaliser I just sighed. What might have been. Nobody to blame at Brighton, the player preferred to play for Benfica so perfectly understandable.
The fact that we were after him reflects well on our club I think.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I watched Benfica v Rangers the other night. When Nunez scored the late equaliser I just sighed. What might have been. Nobody to blame at Brighton, the player preferred to play for Benfica so perfectly understandable.
The fact that we were after him reflects well on our club I think.

Apparently Barcalona are looking at Nunez now.

So you’re right, that is a good sign that our scouts are identifying excellent players (another reason to be excited by the Polish lads who will be joining us soon).

I think the Nunez issue came down to money as well if reports are to be believed. We don’t know the facts of course, this is all tabloid.

But yes. We need a Nunez level striker signing. It’s so clearly our weakness, our lack of cutting edge. This is the recruitment team’s job.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
It should be noted not all criticism of Potter and the team automatically puts people in the "Potter out" category. I was fairly strident in my criticism of Potter and the team last night, and will continue to be until we start getting the results we need, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily Potter Out at this time.

Important point, and fair.

I was just irritated by the front page "thread titles".

We should be able to convey disappointment and critique players, managers, board, whoever. If only to just let off some steam!!

Just don't be a sheep, parroting bullshit, when you didn't watch the matches.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Yes, Potter in. And yes, I'm greatly enjoying the style of football that we're playing under him. It's still a refreshing change from the dour borefest previously.

But IMHO we've been at least one striker light for several seasons now. It's astonishing that it's been allowed to continue for such a long time.

Set-pieces are woeful at both ends. Exactly how many CBs do we need when we fail to adequately mark players with 3 of them?

It's very positive that with the addition of players like Lallana and Welbeck, there's real quality being introduced.

However that's negated with us being so wasteful in attack despite the plethora of chances created.

Until we sort out the finishing, we'll continue to underperform.

And fans will continue to speak uncomfortable truths.

Agree completely on both points I highlighted. And I've been vocal about it.

Been worried about Maupay since January. Think Trossard was absurdly unlucky in Man U game.
Welbeck's runs behind the defence are very welcome indeed, and he knows how to play quick one touch football. Very happy with his addition.
Really want to see this Zeqiri chap.

I think since the Everton game we've gotten a bit better at set pieces defensively. I wish Maty Ryan was more commanding of his area.
Going forwards our set pieces are still dodgy - short corners haven't worked (yet?). Gross isn't at his best either. Wonder what Mac Allister can do...?
Biss taking direct free kicks could work out. We'll see. He scored a nice one for Mali a few years back.

These are the two things that concern me the most for sure.

The international break is a good time for all our CBs to practice set pieces!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

But IMHO we've been at least one striker light for several seasons now.

This.

Potter in 100%.

If we’d had someone like Ings or Rashford in our team, we’d be where Southampton are now. We’re that close to success.

However, this taking of chances dilemma needs to be solved ASAP or we’re going to get in to some trouble.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
In three weeks we will be playing against Liverpool, not MK Dons or Rochdale.

We will probably play great football and will invariably lose.

Who cares? Potter in.

TBH, I had given up a decade a go or more on the idea that we would be playing teams like Liverpool.
Premier league teams week in, week out.

I was giddy as a schoolboy, and still am.

Villa next. Hoping they are actually frauds this season.
Liverpool I could see a similar approach as the Tottenham game but Welbeck is the target man. Dunno. One game at a time.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would rather be moaning about us not taking advantage of being on top in games, than feeling lucky to get away with a point through solid defending. We all wanted to see us being a bit more adventurous than we were under Hughton in the Prem, we got that. We have been a bit unlucky with decisions, hitting the woodwork, and deflections, it's going to come right for us soon.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Very happy with the performance last night.
A massive improvement from the second half against WBA.

As many on here have said, this is the best football I have ever seen us play.
We are being treated with respect by the other clubs.
Many of the teams around us are looking to shut up shop and look to nick something.
That in itself is a massive compliment.

The wins will come. I have no doubt of that.
But if we end the season with just 4 wins and 28 draws, I won't be disappointed.
Not sure NSC could cope with a season like that though.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Potter is so close to finding the perfect balance.

We dominate games playing very attractive football.

We don't give away goalscoring opportunities. We have conceded the fewest shots against per game in the whole league.

We make loads of goal scoring opportunities. Only Liverpool have had more shots than us.

Potter can only do so much, it's now down to the players to finish the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here