Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter In or Out?

Potter In or Out

• Total voters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not at all big into xG. I just understand how it works. And what it shows is that we have a lot of very shit shots. To be fair, the one goal in 65 shots quoted by Sky today would do just as well. We create too many poor percentage chances and miss too many of the good percentage ones,

Like 2 penalties and blazing it over from 3 yards.......in the same game.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
This, and in fairness to TB etc I think they believed they had landed Nunez (who has turned out to be an Eeyore anyway) and had nowhere else to go. The game in summer will be to realise some cash from White and Biss, and invest upfront.

Nunez the striker who was going to be our 20 goal a season man. The one who a majority in here wanted us to buy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not at all big into xG. I just understand how it works. And what it shows is that we have a lot of very shit shots. To be fair, the one goal in 65 shots quoted by Sky today would do just as well. We create too many poor percentage chances and miss too many of the good percentage ones,

Based on the CP and WBA defeats, I have to agree with you.

People are exaggerating our greatness, as if we’re worthy of 9 goal wins.

Veltman missed a sitter, two missed pens and Connolly skying to the stratosphere, that was about it.

Over the two games Guaita and Johnstone did NOT have to pull off a stack of worldies. Instead, simply positioning themselves correctly to save weak as dishwater shots. Similarly, Gary Cahill et al blocking at ease.

Don’t believe the hype of every performance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Like 2 penalties and blazing it over from 3 yards.......in the same game.

Yup. We'll have an xG of at least 2.00 from those three incidents alone. A penalty is 0.75 (about three quarters of pens are converted in general) and the Connolly chance must be converted at least once in every two. But total goals = 0.

I could take that as "unlucky" or a statistical aberration if it was only this game but we underperform xG in every single game we play. That's a pattern. And, since we don't get 2 penalties and an open goal in every other game we have plenty of other ways of underperforming it. Villa, for example, saw an xGf of 2.44 but only Ali Mac's header as a "good" chance (with the save from Burn being an "ok" one).

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Responsibility lies with him. The players have absolutely no confidence in front of goal. None. And it has been like it for months. He should have gone in November but now is probably too late to fix. The false dawn of the Liverpool and Spurs results are shown as exactly that. We have now played Fulham, Sheff Utd and West Brom a total of 5 times this season and havent won a game. Not good enough and on that stat alone we deserve to go down.

Yep. It’s a results business and we’ve only picked up 3 points from ONE team in the bottom half. Shocking.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
His tactics are creating more chances than you could shake a stick at. Strikers couldn't hit a barn door. 60 shots in 3 games, 1 goal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Based on the CP and WBA defeats, I have to agree with you.

People are exaggerating our greatness, as if we’re worthy of 9 goal wins.

Veltman missed a sitter, two missed pens and Connolly skying to the stratosphere, that was about it.

Over the two games Guaita and Johnstone did NOT have to pull off a stack of worldies. Instead, simply positioning themselves correctly to save weak as dishwater shots. Similarly, Gary Cahill et al blocking at ease.

Don’t believe the hype of every performance.

I didn’t believe the hype..but neither the over reaction the other way

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Exactly of course you can't, but Potter has not been given that cool-headed striker.

So what are you saying Potters has destroyed our top-rated strikers mental well being? Of course, he has not, the quality we need to take all those chances that we create is not there. They are doing their best and the pressure is big for Maupay, but Welbeck who has experience and age on his side still misses.

The numbers game suggest we will take a few goals along the way and Potter knows this as he is a strategic manager. He will be stamping his feet in the summer for the right choice especially if we offload anyone and rightly so.

Potter decided he didn’t want Murray anymore and he decided he didn’t want Andone. His decision was that what he had was what he wanted instead. Laughable to suggest that any striker in our squad wouldn’t have been bettered by those two.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Potter decided he didn’t want Murray anymore and he decided he didn’t want Andone. His decision was that what he had was what he wanted instead. Laughable to suggest that any striker in our squad wouldn’t have been bettered by those two.

Andones been injured all season, and Murray is hardly tearing up the championship. Maupay has 7 PL goals. Murray has what, 2 championship goals , both against Wycombe

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
When crowds come back I bet the pro potter lot wont be as forgiving when they see the results and games in person

I will be. Potter is a very good manager. Happily watch us play good football. How can he take the blame for our strikers not scoring? If we had Pep Guardiola this season and were in the same position, would we be saying he is useless?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yup. We'll have an xG of at least 2.00 from those three incidents alone. A penalty is 0.75 (about three quarters of pens are converted in general) and the Connolly chance must be converted at least once in every two. But total goals = 0.

I could take that as "unlucky" or a statistical aberration if it was only this game but we underperform xG in every single game we play. That's a pattern. And, since we don't get 2 penalties and an open goal in every other game we have plenty of other ways of underperforming it. Villa, for example, saw an xGf of 2.44 but only Ali Mac's header as a "good" chance (with the save from Burn being an "ok" one).

Yep. I think our consistently high XG is usually because we have loads of quite poor chances (but they all add up).........not today though. I’ll ask junior to do a bit of work on it because he's a geek on this stuff but I think the conclusion will be
-not actually that many ‘good’ chances (today excepted)
-we fire blanks when we do get a good chance

The Palace game was an aberration - neither of their chances would usually be converted

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Andones been injured all season, and Murray is hardly tearing up the championship. Maupay has 7 PL goals. Murray has what, 2 championship goals , both against Wycombe

Andones injury is irrelevant. Potter had already decided he didnt want him before that and preferred Connolly. I mean that tells me everything

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So you think we will stay up or are you getting worried at all yet?

No I didn’t say I thought we would stay up....no one knows ..(the obvious answer).....x games ago..a lot of people were getting a tad over excited ...we’ve seen what happens if a few results go the other way....and likewise if a few go our way things change again...worry? I think more like huge frustration...but after 52 years of the Albion...nothing new

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Andones injury is irrelevant. Potter had already decided he didnt want him before that and preferred Connolly. I mean that tells me everything

Andone tearing up the Turkish league / champions league with... 2 goals [emoji2375]

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve never voted out but haven’t really been drawn in by him and have had a gut feeling all season he will take us down. He wasn’t really pulling up trees in the championship either which is worrying.

I said after the Liverpool win I’m still not convinced as we are very capable of not winning for another ten games as that seems to be our true stat for the season. I’m surprised TB is letting it continue as we are now in fingers crossed territory for the rest of the season.

Every man and his dog is bashing on about expected goals IMO I’m not sure the Palace keeper had one difficult save to make all game despite 30 or whatever chances it was. All a bit powder puff.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm in the unArsenalfanTV-esque Potter in fellowship. I agree with many that it is a season of unbearable frustration, but that seems to be the agony of almost being something spectacular. The players have to find confidence in their feet in what seems like simple situations, an there seems like a collective jinx that Potter has to mess with the psychology. I suppose last season we were entirely lost in the final third and now we're uncertain 10 yards out. Next season should be amazing, if we survive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here