Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter celebrating with the fans.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We way I see it.

At home, we've got about

15k who actually support Liverpool or Spurs, but come because they're local and see themselves more as consumers of entertainment.. They won't contribute to the atmosphere for good or ill and will leave on the 80th min and will only attend one on 3.
10k who would consider themselves hardcore Brighton fans. They would never be negative to the team, but are often to aging, sober or self conscious to seriously get behind the team unless they feel everyone else is
1k Will always make a decent effort to make some noise. A little too scattered around to be effective. (about 8k of the 10k above think they are in this category but aren't)
3k Brighton fans, but virulent t****. Will moan at anything
2k are away fans

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Away support is always going to be more together, it’s the same with all supporters.
The support last night was the quietest I remember for a long while until the goal. It’s not helped at West Ham by the large physical separation of away fans with the design of the stadium.
Potter seemed to be having a FU moment with the fans to start with, and came over as quite aggressive and pent up. The players seemed the same, apart from Bissouma who played along when the fans sang his song. The manager and players seem to have developed a bunker mentality. As long as they put in performances like the second half I really don’t care.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The support last night was the quietest I remember for a long while until the goal. It’s not helped at West Ham by the large physical separation of away fans with the design of the stadium.
Potter seemed to be having a FU moment with the fans to start with, and came over as quite aggressive and pent up. The players seemed the same, apart from Bissouma who played along when the fans sang his song. The manager and players seem to have developed a bunker mentality. As long as they put in performances like the second half I really don’t care.

Agreed, we left on the final whistle to try and make the last train back avoiding bus replacement, but it did seem the players were all heading towards the centre circle an towards the tunnel didn't seem much acknowledgement of the away fans at the time but glad they made it back

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In a list of unlikely things that have happened with the Albion that would trump the shock when Virgo went to Celtic

I disagree. I have had it in the back of my mind for a while that now Rafa can't get a tune out of the toffees and is likely to feel the wrath of those there who neverwanted him (See Steve Bruce Syndrome), and given the new stadium, and the mega rich owners, huge prospects for a slumbering iant, Everton might be a good fit for Potter. But perhaps not till the end of the season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I disagree. I have had it in the back of my mind for a while that now Rafa can't get a tune out of the toffees and is likely to feel the wrath of those there who neverwanted him (See Steve Bruce Syndrome), and given the new stadium, and the mega rich owners, huge prospects for a slumbering iant, Everton might be a good fit for Potter. But perhaps not till the end of the season.

Initially I thought don't be so stupid Potter wouldn't go there, but actually Evertons problems were kind of like ours. Some 'big name' players on big wages and probably not at the level that need moving on, gradual rebuild of the team. (See Propper, Stephens, Ryan, Montoya etc) There is also a suggestion that Everton could be falling foul or at least very close to FFP.

Not sure if Marcel Brands as DoF is any good though, at least Potter knows Ashworth

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

As long as he hasn’t changed his mind, you are VERY wrong :smile:

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/.../graham-potter-everton-brighton-claim-5286010

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The moaning and negativity at the Amex are largely from the newbie fans that have only ever seen the Albion as a very good side ( post 2011 ). You only have to listen to conversations in the queues etc to hear some right **** witery. Potter is right to call it out but wrong to tar all with the same brush.

Away from home support is decent. You got more moans about anti social behavior but this often goes hand in hand with passion and realism for what we are .

Could be a good chance for the non negatives to start calling out some of these twats in future

Self Police the un-educated

I agree with you. Time for a bit of an education for some.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Initially I thought don't be so stupid Potter wouldn't go there, but actually Evertons problems were kind of like ours. Some 'big name' players on big wages and probably not at the level that need moving on, gradual rebuild of the team. (See Propper, Stephens, Ryan, Montoya etc)

Not sure if Marcel Brands as DoF is any good though, at least Potter knows Ashworth

By all accounts Brands is one of the problems in lacking direction or strategy so hopefully not an attractive proposition for G-Pott

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

All I meant was that if a massive opportunity befell GP and he was open to such a thing, Everton tick several boxes.

However as others have pointed out Everton would need to sort out some infrastructure issues before they became appealing, including sustainability. But it will take a massive pile of something (more that simply money - a real chance of being able to flex the managerial genius muscles unshackled) to replace the space and time Potter has been given by Bloom, the faith, and the opportunity to work on a project with immediate and long term objectives. Plus he's evidently paid well and who would want to uproot a family and kids from somewhere stable to another part of the UK where the job may last only a year if targets and the desires of entitled fans aren't met?

I don't think Everton have sufficient insight to know what would be necessary to lure Potter, presently.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
By all accounts Brands is one of the problems in lacking direction or strategy so hopefully not an attractive proposition for G-Pott

See above for a considerably less succinct version of your elegant point :lolol: :thumbsup:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If he GP thinks he has problems with our fans, we might want to look at some of the clips of after the Everton Brentford game for what might lie in store.

I can't see it. They're not a long term rebuild type of club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree with you. Time for a bit of an education for some.

I have been wondering about having a 'hello lads' chat with the spotty yoof who have started sitting behind me this season.

There is only one thing worse than hearing your players screamed at 15 seconds into a match, and that's hearing them screamed at by half-formed voices. Yes, yes I was a teenager once. But.....<sigh>

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If he GP thinks he has problems with our fans, we might want to look at some of the clips of after the Everton Brentford game for what might lie in store.

I can't see it. They're not a long term rebuild type of club.

I really don't think he does. Lazy journalism and a couple of click bait threads, innit? ???

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Had a group near me who’s response to any mistake on the pitch was to loudly proclaim‘Maupay is ****ing ****’, ‘Webster is ****ing ****’ etc etc. Absolutely tedious.

Sadly this is the mentality you get when the larger crowds follow a team in the Premier League and expect everything. If only we could go back to the days of the Goldstone, Gillingham and even the Withdean where the attendance told you the true Albion supporters, not the glory seeking merchants we get now.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To be fair at Withdean we had a point moaning about the weather but we also had chips, and chips made everything alright, even losing at home and playing crap.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Having started the Albion revolution, and with us laying in the top half of the table and things beginning to bear fruit, why on earth would he want to give up on a job half done, just to start all over again at a club below us in the table, and with a history of dismissing managers who don't achieve results very quickly?

Graham Potter isn't going anywhere if he has any sense at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here