Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Potholes

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like the never ending rail strikes it's just become one more thing that the long suffering public has to put up with from this clueless government.

It won't change until this government is sent packing because they know they can simply get away with it as they have for 14 years

The pothole disgrace was well and truly under way by 2007, documented at the time by the media and cycling websites. Since then, 17 years of a pathetically half hearted attempt to fix a few, often using a bodged method that unravels after a winter or two.

If I was a campaigns person for Labour, in ads I would highlight this as tangible evidence of literally “Broken Britain”.

Then in government, to get on with fixing them all properly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The pothole disgrace was well and truly under way by 2007, documented at the time by the media and cycling websites. Since then, 17 years of a pathetically half hearted attempt to fix a few, often using a bodged method that unravels after a winter or two.

If I was a campaigns person for Labour, in ads I would highlight this as tangible evidence of literally “Broken Britain”.

It's a sign of a desperate shortage of cash and hoping to " muddle through " . As a kid I recall my residential road being fully resurfaced at least twice in 10 years, nowdays residential roads are rarely fully resurfaced, just 20-30 yard stretches or just the potholes. Pavements are not much better either. I remember pavements were regularly repaired and re-laid but now many are a mess of assorted tarmac and cracked slabs.

5th biggest economy in the world ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Pothole? Locally there’s more like a trench that has developed on the Upper Shoreham Rd …which some people will hit at 30mph and you can’t drive around it unless you drive on the wrong side of the road and even that’s not going to work as three more are under ‘constructions on that side …..I have contacted the relevant department of WSCC but I’d have to type a post of Zeberdi proportions to explain how I got on with those numpties

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

Brighton & Hove City Council (LABOUR) is currently sitting on a pot of £6m given to them by the government for the sole purpose of fixing the potholes, so why aren't they?

They are probably looking to hire some expensive consultants to tell them what to do.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Yep, the Tories would prefer to bribe the public by reducing income tax by 2% and leave our councils even worse off with no hope of fixing anything, let alone pot holes.
The country is in free fall. Our infrastructure is collapsing in front of our eyes and government can’t see it from their ivory towers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Brighton & Hove City Council (LABOUR) is currently sitting on a pot of £6m given to them by the government for the sole purpose of fixing the potholes, so why aren't they?

They are probably looking to hire some expensive consultants to tell them what to do.

Interesting interpretation ???

A £6 million budget to fill potholes and repair roads was underspent, a report to Brighton & Hove City councillors said. Nigel Manvell, the city council's chief financial officer, said the money came in the form of a "capital grant" from the Department for Transport (DfT). He said the council was unable to spend the whole grant by the end of the 2023-24 financial year due to an issue with its capacity to carry out repairs. He said the money will be carried forward and "will be spent".

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4n1p0vzjg5o

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Too many outsize Chelsea tractors, and climate change (heavy rain and frost) damage the tarmac. Councils just don't have the people and equipment to keep up - and most of the temporary repairs won't last because they are done in a rush and not properly sealed.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Each vehicle on the road pays £100/£200/etc. per year road tax.

There are £100millions in the kitty to fix the potholes, without even considering the extortionate fuel duty which can be used to foot the bill.

Get them filled.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Too many outsize Chelsea tractors, and climate change (heavy rain and frost) damage the tarmac. Councils just don't have the people and equipment to keep up - and most of the temporary repairs won't last because they are done in a rush and not properly sealed.
The climate in Northern France is pretty similar and their roads are immaculat. Was there last year, and drove many country roads playing spot the pothole. Hardly saw anything apart from perfect road surfaces.
Its the foundation that is Victorian and digestive biscuits are no good at filling the holes.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I cycle to work 9 times out of ten, it's less than 2 miles . . . Its dangerous . . .asides cars with mongs inside who can't drive, the bigger issue is broken roads, rutting, pot holes and frankly craters. Something around 300mm or 1' in each direction is lethal for everyone. ALl of those roads I use are small back roads, built when horses were F1 technology. . . .now being used as rat runs by all and sundry, particularly speed fuelled delivery drivers, HRT hyper mums in bling lorries and even the odd bus FFS!

I don't do scooter rallies here any more, or very occaisionally. . .but France every year . . . It's a pleasure To ride there. I sold my classic car is it wasn't enjoyable to drive on our roads.

Our infrastructure is ruined and will not recover in my lifetime. . . . Especially If I get hit head on by a **** in a BMW coming round the corner head on 'overtaking' a static double decker bus because the gates are down but he can't be bothered to wait.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
It's about time a special pot hole tax was introduced to cyclists only which can then fund the repair of the holes.

Obviously car owners pay enough tax/insurance etc so would be excused the tax.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
It's about time a special pot hole tax was introduced to cyclists only which can then fund the repair of the holes.

Obviously car owners pay enough tax/insurance etc so would be excused the tax.
Why should car owners be excused the tax? They're the ones causing the pot holes.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Why should car owners be excused the tax? They're the ones causing the pot holes.
No it’s not the motorists who causes the potholes, it’s the councils and the highway agency who are not maintaining the roads ,
the councils rather spend their money on benefits , and other social causes , rather than the infrastructure of the country,
the motorists pay enough money in taxes and car parking fees etc to expect roads to be kept up to standard,

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
No they just don’t want to spend the money to fix them

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
No it’s not the motorists who causes the potholes, it’s the councils and the highway agency who are not maintaining the roads ,
the councils rather spend their money on benefits , and other social causes , rather than the infrastructure of the country,
the motorists pay enough money in taxes and car parking fees etc to expect roads to be kept up to standard,
Yes, lets not help the homeless, or schools, or fire departments, or Police, or those with disabilities because you want a smooth drive. Due to the massive cuts councils have in funding, all of it comes from council tax and indeed road tax. Britain voted for the tories and got what they deserve.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Yes, let’s not help the homeless, or schools, or fire departments, or Police, or those with disabilities because you want a smooth drive. Due to the massive cuts councils have in funding, all of it comes from council tax and indeed road tax. Britain voted for the tories and got what they deserve.
there Are too many people not working in this country, millions just find it easier not to work and claim benefits,
more people work more money in the pot ,
can start by kicking people out of have no legal right to be here

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Because Councils definitely decide to spend their money on benefits and not potholes :dunce:

I wouldn't even know where to start to explain :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here