Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential shirt design for next season.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I would prefer broader stripes, but what I particularly like is that the colours on BOTH shirts are BLUE and WHITE. That's right, BLUE and WHITE which just happen to be our club colours. So the away strip wouldn't be red, or black, or yellow, or any other non-Brighton colour. Presumably we would need a thrird strip which could be yellow.

I've been banging on for ages to anyone who would listen that we should have a white away shirt with blue flashes to maintain the club colours. Someone must have been listening.

Isn't the point of an away shirt to NOT be in the colours of the club, so that it doesn't clash with other teams who have the same colours? Correct me if wrong.

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
1. Yes - but bluer strpes of course.
2. No - looks like one of our cheap 90's shirts. Really? this is a Nike shirt ?!!
3. Oh Yes Please !! luv it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Time to change from the blue and white stripes. Red is the most successful colour in sport.

:wink:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One thing's for sure - no-one at Nike or the club will ask us or care what we think, even though we're the people expected to buy thousands of the things at rip-off prices.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Isn't the point of an away shirt to NOT be in the colours of the club, so that it doesn't clash with other teams who have the same colours? Correct me if wrong.

To a point, but a white shirt with blue trim would help retain the colours and identity of our team. And of course, having a white second kit means a return to sporting a third kit, which is I guess is what Nike are interested in.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
To a point, but a white shirt with blue trim would help retain the colours and identity of our team. And of course, having a white second kit means a return to sporting a third kit, which is I guess is what Nike are interested in.

Personally I don't think clubs should ever have a need for a 3rd kit. Bearing in mind a lot of kids want all the jerseys and these Nike ones are gonna cost a lot, it should be very rare that a different shirt is needed. Surely you'd just end up wearing the 3rd shirt all the time, and the white away shirt becomes a bit pointless, and you are still out of club colours most the time.

If you were to look at the current championship and we had the mostly blue home shirt/mostly white away shirt combo from the OP, I reckon:

There are 13 teams where we would be able to wear the blue home shirt, so no alternate shirts should be necessary.

Of the other 10, I think there are 5 where we would DEFINITELY not be able to wear the white/blue away shirt combo (Reading, QPR, Hudds, Blackburn, Sheffield Weds) as they wear blue and white, so you'd have to wear a 3rd shirt.

Then from the 5 remaining, I think depending on what their blue/white ratio is that that year and how strict the ref is, you COULD get away with wearing the white/blue away shirt at Leicester, Wigan, Millwall, Birmingham and Ipswich, but probably wouldn't at all 5 (I can't be arsed to research actual kits for this year), and would again have to wear the "3rd" jersey.

So my conclusion is that the 3rd shirt would basically end up being the 2nd shirt anyway, so what's the point?!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Personally I don't think clubs should ever have a need for a 3rd kit. Bearing in mind a lot of kids want all the jerseys and these Nike ones are gonna cost a lot, it should be very rare that a different shirt is needed. Surely you'd just end up wearing the 3rd shirt all the time, and the white away shirt becomes a bit pointless, and you are still out of club colours most the time.

If you were to look at the current championship and we had the mostly blue home shirt/mostly white away shirt combo from the OP, I reckon:

There are 13 teams where we would be able to wear the blue home shirt, so no alternate shirts should be necessary.

Of the other 10, I think there are 5 where we would DEFINITELY not be able to wear the white/blue away shirt combo (Reading, QPR, Hudds, Blackburn, Sheffield Weds) as they wear blue and white, so you'd have to wear a 3rd shirt.

Then from the 5 remaining, I think depending on what their blue/white ratio is that that year and how strict the ref is, you COULD get away with wearing the white/blue away shirt at Leicester, Wigan, Millwall, Birmingham and Ipswich, but probably wouldn't at all 5 (I can't be arsed to research actual kits for this year), and would again have to wear the "3rd" jersey.

So my conclusion is that the 3rd shirt would basically end up being the 2nd shirt anyway, so what's the point?!

Some very good points and well researched too. Sadly, I don't think what you say is likely to be a high priority compared to 'how much money can we make?'

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Some very good points and well researched too. Sadly, I don't think what you say is likely to be a high priority compared to 'how much money can we make?'

I agree. And also I quite like that white jersey, it'd probably be the one I would buy! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A better pic of mono-strip:-

scpl_100_6410_64_484.jpg

scpl_100_6402_645_484.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Lets drop "Albion" from our name too and be known as the Brighton & Hove Seagulls - the word Albion is far too lousy.

...and 'Hove' too - what's Hove got to do with it? Come to think of it, 'Brighton' is a bit limiting; 'Sussex Seagulls' would associate the brand with a far bigger customer base. Better demographics too - loads of rich people live up-county.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...and 'Hove' too - what's Hove got to do with it? Come to think of it, 'Brighton' is a bit limiting; 'Sussex Seagulls' would associate the brand with a far bigger customer base. Better demographics too - loads of rich people live up-county.
You're onto something here. We're not the only club in Sussex, but we do play in Sussex, so why not. By the same token, we play in England, so why don't we change our name to the England Club Side. Imagine how recognisable that will be when we move into the far eastern markets.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

You're onto something here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here