Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Postponed / Abandoned match nostalgia

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Blackburn away a few seasons ago, went to Accrington Stanley v Plymouth Argyle instead, stood on the open terraced away end with the Argyle fans. Got absolutely soaked but did help in getting the Accrington keeper sent off.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Been very lucky with games being called off. Furthest I have ever got travelling to a game that was called off is the shell garage at Preston Park quite a few Boxing Days ago when our game at Dagenham & Redbridge was called off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Arriving at Halifax, just in time for the radio to announce that it had been rained off. Pub, curry house, then home.

Did exactly the same on a Tuesday evening.

Also was at Swindon when we were getting hammered and the stewards told us not to worry as the ref was calling the game off when they returned after half time, so it happened.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hull away at Boothferry park in the late 80's? It was the only game off in the whole country that day.

I think we ended up detouring to Scarborough or Scunny (you had to make your own entertainment in those days).

B

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Went to Bristol Rovers away in the seventies - couldn't say which year but it was postponed when we were 20 miles away.

I was at that. We had the radio on in the car all the way down and it was still on as we drove into Bristol. Got to Eastville to find the ref had just called it off. We turned to go home and bumped into our old gym teacher from Varndean who now lived down there - a good candidate for an unexpected meeting.

I was at Swindon and Norwich too but did manage to miss a postponement in Macclesfield about 20 years ago: I was just about to board the train when a helpful guard shouted that the match was off. Met a Scunny mate and went to see them play Palace in the cup instead.

How about the match that wasn't called off? The game with Torquay in the early 70s. It was announced that it had been snowed off so I didn't go ... found out later that it was on

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Drove home from Aberdeen once and stopped off at a cafe picked up a paper and saw we were playing Brentford so thought I would stop off and watch it. Arrived at Brentford and the place was in darkness checked with paper and realised that it was yesterdays paper I had picked up off of the table, We had played and lost the night before.:lolol:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Got to Rochdale once and it had been called off due to snow. Had new ELP cassette so not listening to the news. Fish and chips and back home. On a different note got to the Goldstone once to realise Newcastle away not home. Thought the parking around the park was sparse the closer we got the more confused I became. Did pub-crawl of B&H to commiserate.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Been very lucky with games being called off. Furthest I have ever got travelling to a game that was called off is the shell garage at Preston Park quite a few Boxing Days ago when our game at Dagenham & Redbridge was called off.

Made to the ground for that. Now I make sure I have radio on and text updates if in doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Worst one for me was reaching Halifax in 2001 after 5 hours driving through crappy traffic and some rain to hear it was called off close to k.o. time (largely due to the rugby game played on the same pitch 1-2 days before).

Next worst was Macclesfield away in January (can't remember the year). I took the opportunity to go to Maine Road instead to watch City play Bradford in the F.A. Cup. It was the only time I went to Maine Road, so that was a positive.

Until last night I can't remember having driven any distance to a home game to then have to turn around.

Two games that definitely shouldn't have gone ahead but did were:

1. At the Goldstone when we lost 0-1 to Bristol Rovers in 1990 ( ? ) on a lake.
2. A wonderful fog-enshrouded game against Birmingham City in the Full Members Cup (remember that?) which we also lost. Best memory of that game was the handful of Birmingham fans stood in the North East corner being completely unaware that they had scored in the South goal because they couldn't see that far, then realising what had happened when they saw Brighton kick-off again and belated celebrating the goal almost 1 minute later.

D

Deleted User X18H

Worst one for me was reaching Halifax in 2001 after 5 hours driving through crappy traffic and some rain to hear it was called off close to k.o. time (largely due to the rugby game played on the same pitch 1-2 days before).

Next worst was Macclesfield away in January (can't remember the year). I took the opportunity to go to Maine Road instead to watch City play Bradford in the F.A. Cup. It was the only time I went to Maine Road, so that was a positive.

Until last night I can't remember having driven any distance to a home game to then have to turn around.

Two games that definitely shouldn't have gone ahead but did were:

1. At the Goldstone when we lost 0-1 to Bristol Rovers in 1990 ( ? ) on a lake.
2. A wonderful fog-enshrouded game against Birmingham City in the Full Members Cup (remember that?) which we also lost. Best memory of that game was the handful of Birmingham fans stood in the North East corner being completely unaware that they had scored in the South goal because they couldn't see that far, then realising what had happened when they saw Brighton kick-off again and belated celebrating the goal almost 1 minute later.

That was it 1990. Not 1987

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Got to Rochdale once and it had been called off due to snow. Had new ELP cassette so not listening to the news. Fish and chips and back home. On a different note got to the Goldstone once to realise Newcastle away not home. Thought the parking around the park was sparse the closer we got the more confused I became. Did pub-crawl of B&H to commiserate.

Been Spotland a few times,even that eventful night when Bellotti sat on his own !

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Bristol Rovers away in the Adams Mk II season. Arrived in Bristol early, so decided to walk to the ground, Whole afternoon was a deluge, not helped by the fact I got hopelessly lost walking to the ground (don't think I had a smartphone then). After 3 hours or so righting my course and getting to the Memorial Ground, heard the inevitable news that game was Calle doff due to waterlogged pitch. Had to hang around another 3 hours in soaking clothes for advance fare train home,

Sadly didn't make the rearranged fixture, which was by all accounts one of those amazing 'had to be there' away games.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hull away at Boothferry park in the late 80's? It was the only game off in the whole country that day.

I think we ended up detouring to Scarborough or Scunny (you had to make your own entertainment in those days).

B
Yep we had just arrived on the train to hear the game was off. The weirdest thing that happened that day was some fella bought my mates scarf of him to wear to a Leeds cup game ??? One of life's little mysteries.

Jul 7, 2003

We were on a train to Macclesfield for that game that stopped just outside of Bletchley as their were problems with the overhead line. Before we could get too worried about missing kick off, the guard announced that Brighton fans heading for Macclesfield shouldn't worry as the game had been called off. Having finally got into Bletchley, we headed back into London to pick up an FA Cup 3rd Round match. Ended up sat on the North Bank at Highbury watching Arsenal and Port Vale play our a boring 0-0 draw. Confused a few Gooners though as it was very cold and there were a group of us sat in their home end all wearing Albion hats and scarves.

Nearly go caught out by fog at Tranmere on a Friday night a few years ago. We had been laughing about the Bournemouth fans who had flown up to Newcastle a couple of days earlier only to find the game fogged off. As the coach got closer to the Wirral, it started to get quiet misty and by the time we got to the ground we didn't think it would be on but thankfully it lifted about 45 minutes before KO.

Also remember going down to Bournemouth in a monsoon desperately trying to keep Radio Sussex (or whatever it was called then) tuned on the car radio. Every time they checked back in they said the pitch was getting worse and not looking playable. I think the match was given the go ahead about 2:45pm and we were rewarded with a 3-0 win with Junior McDougald scoring one where the ball was hoofed long and then stopped in a puddle allowing him to catch up with the ball and then put it past the keeper.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
This is correct.. 1995 I believe.
It was called off about 1 hour before kick off, and I remember walking back down Sackville Rd and loads of fans walking up simply not believing me

Annoyingly I had already bought a program, and was miffed to find the rearranged fixture was exactly the same program with a different cover!
And correctly called off. The pitch was a swamp.
Cardiff fans were not happy.

For the frozen Walsall one we ended up in the away end to see Preston win 3-1 at Wolves so not wasted.
I also seem to remember an aborted trip to possibly Macclesfield and managed to turn back at Luton.

Don't think I have been at an abandoned game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here