Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post your favourite Northern Soul tunes here

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
May I take issue with one or two bad comments about the music played before the matches. In the last two home games we've been graced with such numbers as 'Ever Fallen In Love', 'Tubestation' and 'Seven Days Too Long'. What more could you ask? Don't come back with 'better football' . . . . . .

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
One of the two known copies of Frank Wilson's " Do I Love You ( Indeed I Do ) " was sold
yesterday for more than £25000.:ohmy:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One of the two known copies of Frank Wilson's " Do I Love You ( Indeed I Do ) " was sold
yesterday for more than £25000.:ohmy:

Changed hands again eh?

The story goes that back in the mid-70s a couple of Northern Soul afficionados were allowed access to the Motown archives in order to put out some rare, un-released Motown tracks under licence in the UK.

Apparently, while there, a white label demo of 'Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)' was laying around/within easy reach and they, um, 'borrowed' it and turned it into a one-off record. It's that records which possibly was the one that changed hands.

Anyhoo, Motown themselves, not exactly backwards in coming forwards, eventually released 5,000 of their own copy of the song in the late 70s. That in itself is a rare collectors' items, changing hands for £100 a pop.

An apocryphal tale no doubt.

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
There are so many;

Jimmy Radcliffe - Long after tonight is all over

ends the evening brilliantly.

Frankie and the classicals - what shall we do

and for tomorrow

Curtis Mayfield - Move on up

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Never heard of Northern Soul until a little while ago.... dead chuffed to find that I haven't missed anything ! :lolol:

Never heard of Northern Soul until a little while ago.... dead chuffed to find that I haven't missed anything !

Meat fearing philistine!

But how do you chose between R. Dean Taylor (ghost in my house), Gloria Jones (tainted love) Frank Wilson (do i love you, a big motown crossover), Dobie Gray (out on the floor), the flirtations (nothing but a heart ache) etc. So I declare my post VOID - cant reach a decision!

For anyone that wants a simple verdict on Northern Soul think of Motown aa the A sides and NS as the B sides or for the connissieurs!

HCQ

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Incidentally, I and a few others will be spinning all these tunes and more (on vinyl) this Saturday evening at Ohso Social on Kings Road Arches, Brighton from 8pm-2am. Free entry.

We are hoping to be there old boy.

Incidentally, did you see in the Quadrophenia programme that Brennan Reece, who played one of the Mods, is to appear in 'Souled Out' a Northern Soul film out later this year.

:thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We are hoping to be there old boy.

Incidentally, did you see in the Quadrophenia programme that Brennan Reece, who played one of the Mods, is to appear in 'Souled Out' a Northern Soul film out later this year.

:thumbsup:

Oooh. *Moistens slightly*

Come to think of it, I did see some of his sharp moves. He would be a good foil for such a role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here