Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Post Office Scandal -

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
Interesting to note the Albion club employee briefly referenced earlier in this thread has removed his 'Post Office Investigations Manager' role from his LinkedIn at some point over the last two weeks
And what should we deduce from that?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
You get that impression, sure. But he's working for the Post Office which is(was?) a high profile reputable organisation, not some fly-by-night tin-pot local firm. You'd think he'd have been trained as to how to go about his job properly.

Really I am just not entirely sure that word was used although equally I can believe he did say it. But in an environment where the lady from Wales was stressed from being put under undue and extreme pressure through absolutely no fault of her own, it's possible that maybe she didn't hear him properly.
But hold up. In the video, the scumbag investigator refers to "a criminal interview under PACE". Then those interviews MUST be recorded. So how can there possibly be any doubt what was said? Unless the investigators were conducting interviews into a "criminal offence" WITHOUT the interviews being recorded. Then surely that "evidence" would be inadmissable?

I think it's time to crowd fund so The Clamp can purchase the necessary hardware to dig the requisite number of ditches.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Post Office was reducing the number of sub offices as the business model did not call for the existing (at the time ) number of offices to remain open. How convenient that a computer system would bring into discredit a large number of sub postmasters/mistresses and the closing of those offices plus the prosecutions and the monies that were confiscated at the time. So instead of paying out redundancy money they actually managed to get vast sums off the incumbent managers. Well it looks that way, does it not!
Yes , I was a sub postmaster but before the prosecutions started.
sub-postmasters are self employed though right? so no redundancy. would seem a convoluted way to reduce the number either way, spending thousands on legal cases (rising to millions in the end).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The investigator is clearly not a nice man and seriously incompetent, but I still question this. The only witness was the woman's husband. Surely it's possible to have misheard? For a start, surely nobody remotely professional considers it appropriate to use the word "bitch" in that context?
I agree but it was a sworn statement used in a court of law.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
From that report it would appear there was an Architecture failing with the lack of a 2 phased commit across multiple data sources to handle any issues with connectivity and consequential data corruption. This was quite a common 'backstop' to multiple data source systems at the time. I remember having to build one when building a new system 'integrating' a third party package with an in house system about 1995 for a financial firm in Brighton, that I believe is still running their core business on it.

It could have been problematic to identify as it appears the failings in connectivity may have been related to traffic peaks and this can be hard to recreate. However, the fact that there were discrepancies between the data sources should have pointed them in that direction immediately. This wasn't helped by what seemed to be a chaotic environment for changes, testing and release control, and the unaudited access directly to live data from large numbers of people.

They obviously found the core issue, as they said it would be fixed in a future release, but didn't put in place any sort of work around or auditable correction procedure and, the key thing, they then hid it, lied and prosecuted people they knew were innocent :mad:
Bates -v- Post Office appendix 1 - Courts and Tribunals Judiciary https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/bates-v-post-office-appendix-1-1.pdf

There's more on the infrastructure here, not read it all but it's complex, mix of bespoke, running on some sap and oracle and quite early xml I think

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One of the biggest things that strikes me is that this Paula Vennels believes she is a christian!!!

When there is a huge financial scandal in the States and the ne'er do wells involved want to be accepted back into polite society they normally embrace religion and become born agains. Seems to work

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Presumably, yes - although I haven't heard that one.

I have no wish to argue this one really - just that in this clamour to ensure this waste of skin "inspector" is held to account, it's possible that some things are being attributed to him that he's not guilty of.
He guilty until he can prove otherwise, if he try to prove his innocence beat him, in other words act like the post office did with its sub post masters.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
He guilty until he can prove otherwise, if he try to prove his innocence beat him, in other words act like the post office did with its sub post masters.
That’s the sorry truth of it now. yesterday’s proceeding at the Inquiry has left the investigation team’s reputation in tatters. The more that comes out, the more damaging.

We have been asked to be fair and balanced on here in respect of the reputation of BHAFC.

I completely agree that the reputation of the Club is critical and should be protected. But therein lies the dilemma.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
When there is a huge financial scandal in the States and the ne'er do wells involved want to be accepted back into polite society they normally embrace religion and become born agains. Seems to work
However in this horrible woman’s case I’m more than certain she a Reverend during her time at the PO

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Post Office lied and threatened BBC over Horizon whistleblower​

This was back in 2015 when the BBC interviewed the Fujitsu whistleblower.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Bates -v- Post Office appendix 1 - Courts and Tribunals Judiciary https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/bates-v-post-office-appendix-1-1.pdf

There's more on the infrastructure here, not read it all but it's complex, mix of bespoke, running on some sap and oracle and quite early xml I think
For the less familiar, at that time, SAP with Oracle as the back-end database were the "Rolls-Royce" tools of choice for enterprise solution systems development.
Doubt there'll be any fingers pointed at them.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
From that report it would appear there was an Architecture failing with the lack of a 2 phased commit across multiple data sources to handle any issues with connectivity and consequential data corruption. This was quite a common 'backstop' to multiple data source systems at the time. I remember having to build one when building a new system 'integrating' a third party package with an in house system about 1995 for a financial firm in Brighton, that I believe is still running their core business on it.

It could have been problematic to identify as it appears the failings in connectivity may have been related to traffic peaks and this can be hard to recreate. However, the fact that there were discrepancies between the data sources should have pointed them in that direction immediately. This wasn't helped by what seemed to be a chaotic environment for changes, testing and release control, and the unaudited access directly to live data from large numbers of people.

They obviously found the core issue, as they said it would be fixed in a future release, but didn't put in place any sort of work around or auditable correction procedure and, the key thing, they then hid it, lied and prosecuted people they knew were innocent :mad:
I sussed that when it mentioned a central datacentre hosted database and a local mirror server to support synchronicity. Systems like this are architecturally sub-optimal and would likely be at much higher risk of data corruptions where connectivity between the two are flaky / lost. Transaction completion / commit timing is the key, without this, errors would be inevitable.

I recall one of the SPM on the ITV drama talked about connection being lost many time a day from her PO - would love to see the Fujitsu Help Desk case logs for that day.

There are so many lessons to be learnt and people to be identified for wrong-doing - I do worry that it will all lead to a great expense with the only real winners being the lawyers, barristers and solicitors - their hourly rate will see to that.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
and as if we're not already shocked if you've got a few minutes to waste this article by Nick Wallis too is just jaw dropping:

Thanks for posting this link. It's far from a waste of time.

It's a 15 minute read, and if anyone hasn't read it already, I thoroughly recommend it. It's quite, quite extraordinary.

Within it, there is a link to a video of the two days that Mr. Singh was being questioned for ten hours, which is the basis of the article above. It was Mr. Singh who gave the go-ahead for the private prosecutions.

TL/DR? Mr. Singh, as head of Criminal Law at the Post Office, the role and responsibilities of which he tried to play down, spent much of the time giving long, rambling answers to the questions put to him. A subsequent CV revealed that during his time at the Post Office, he was running his own private law consultancy, and having complained that he didn't have enough time to carry out his P.O. duties, managed to outsource much of them to a third party law firm, who raised concerns with him that some of the prosecutions were unsafe. Those were prosecutions which he had overseen, and didn't revisit when the concerns were raised to him.

His subsequent apology to the postmasters, under questioning, was an exercise in 'sorry, not sorry', an attempt at 'I was given the wrong information'.

Hey, we all make mistakes eh?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
and as if we're not already shocked if you've got a few minutes to waste this article by Nick Wallis too is just jaw dropping:

That's a fascinating read / listen. Having taken part in public inquiries, I can really engage with this. I have been on all sides - as supporter, and expert witness, and the main objector asking the questions of the witnesses. In one inquiry the questioner accused me of being 'clever' in a pejorative term - as she considered I was avoiding answering the questions in a 'professional' fashion - whereupon the barrister on our side pointed out that not only had I answered the direct question she had asked me, but I had gone on to clearly explain why I considered that the question was misplaced, and what the real significance of the evidence she was asking about was. That's what Public Inquiries are meant to be for - interrogative/investigative and fact-finding. Not adversarial.

However - this witness you have linked to seems quite incredible - and a forerunner of Trump & Johnson in the ability to evade answering direct questions and trying to play games with the questioner. The KC questioning him is excellent - and I particularly liked this in the comments.

1705098799811.png

But overall - it's a very painful watch.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We watched three episodes of the TV programmes last night. Stunning. Being a subscriber to Private Eye I had long been aware of what was going on, but to see it portrayed so brilliantly and vividly took it to a much higher level. If it doesn’t win all the best TV drama series awards at the end of the year………
I had long thought this was more about chaos than conspiracy, but that is so clearly not the case. I can’t help thinking that Paula Vennells, far from giving her CBE back, should be prosecuted for corporate manslaughter - the portrayal of the bloke who stepped in front of the bus and then their treatment of his wife was horrifying in so many ways.
And James Arbuthnot may have surprised a few people as a decent Tory MP. There are such animals.
My sister-in-law used to live in South Warnborough, and says the portrayal of Jo, the postmistress there, was spot on.
The only reservation is that the scenes in South Warnborough WERE NOT SHOT in South Warnborough. Shameful!!!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
To add to the "worth a quick read" list, I can recommend David Allen Green's latest blog post: https://davidallengreen.com/ (David Allen Green is a constitutional lawyer who writes for the FT....he's good at explaining legal technicalities to non-experts, and in this case highlights some basic issues at the core of our legal syatem, which the Post Office abused to an astonishing level).

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
That's a fascinating read / listen. Having taken part in public inquiries, I can really engage with this. I have been on all sides - as supporter, and expert witness, and the main objector asking the questions of the witnesses. In one inquiry the questioner accused me of being 'clever' in a pejorative term - as she considered I was avoiding answering the questions in a 'professional' fashion - whereupon the barrister on our side pointed out that not only had I answered the direct question she had asked me, but I had gone on to clearly explain why I considered that the question was misplaced, and what the real significance of the evidence she was asking about was. That's what Public Inquiries are meant to be for - interrogative/investigative and fact-finding. Not adversarial.

However - this witness you have linked to seems quite incredible - and a forerunner of Trump & Johnson in the ability to evade answering direct questions and trying to play games with the questioner. The KC questioning him is excellent - and I particularly liked this in the comments.

View attachment 172627

But overall - it's a very painful watch.

Exactly, its enourmously painful that people died and this is the sort of individual who played "god" essentially...the credibility of the post office surely has to be completely gone now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here