Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Post Office Scandal -

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
OK apologies but can I ask a silly question. Now if we accept that at the top end of the Post Office and/or Fujitsu there was corruption and a cover up to disguise the known issues with Horizon. However, did none of the Post Office investigators talk to each other and ask " bit odd that such a huge number of postmasters have gone rogue "?

That cropped up in the enquiry. In that; one of the investigators said to another, strange all these newspaper stories of alleged injustices, do you think the PO/Fujitsu are wrong?

But the PO/Fujitsu effectively passed down the firm message that Horizon was catching fraudsters, who would’ve got away with in previous times.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
There were some where if the link went down when the processing was happening (not uncommon), then when it came up again, the operator would have to press continue/complete or something. It would then take the (single) payment from the customer (say £250), and the (single) credit to the PO (£250). BUT - because of the bug, it had already credited the PO £250 when the system went down, but hadn't debited the customer because it hadn't finished the actions required to do so.

So - one payment of £250, but credited to PO twice. And so at the end of the day, it would look as though the PO was 'short' by £250.
That sounds entirely believable. Transactions not being rolled back correctly in the event of a failure. From memory, in the 90s and 2000s, hierarchical databases like IMS (not the same solution as the Fujitsu/Horizon system), had a proprietary function action called checkpoint/restart and rollback/recovery, which essentially took checkpoints at regular intervals through a transaction, and in the event of a failure, rolled back the credits and debits to the last checkpoint. It sounds like the Horizon system didn't have such a robust recovery procedure. Just my guess.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
According to our village PO, there are still discrepancies most days now. They always call the helpline which nowadays is jolly friendly and helpful 👼 - they are always told not to worry about it and they never sign off on it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
OK apologies but can I ask a silly question. Now if we accept that at the top end of the Post Office and/or Fujitsu there was corruption and a cover up to disguise the known issues with Horizon. However, did none of the Post Office investigators talk to each other and ask " bit odd that such a huge number of postmasters have gone rogue "?

Reading between the lines, I'll give you an example. There is a "Thai massage Parlour" at the bottom of my road. I've never seen anyone go in or out of it and I've have long odds on favourite that it's real purpose is a money laundering operation of some sort. If not, it's a brass house and there is an entrance round the back

I guess if the paper accounts of a large organisation said there was X million coming in but Y million going out you'd make the assumption that you'd nailed with digitalisation - wrongly - where that money was leaking from. The solution is rarely that simple. In the process, I'd imagine they've washed the baby out with the bathwater as my mum would say.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
What was the offer? Can’t find the figure in the article.
Actually, that's a good question!!! At first I assumed it was the 600k mentioned in the final para...but that is for those whose wrongful conviction was overturned...so it doesn't say what Bates was offered. I expect it will surface in a news outlet today.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Isn't it great that as the main parties involved continue to argue, obfuscate and delay....postmasters get older, unwell and will at some point die. Shocking stuff ☹️.
Tried and tested. Has ever been thus.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On the balance of probability, just as in any sector, some people at some point have stolen money whilst running a Post Office.

What the Post Office simply fails to understand is their investigations (and we've all watched the testimony) are so utterly dysfunctional their view on who is guilty or not is worth nothing. Jack shit, f*** all, less than the price of second hand stamp.

If someone ends up "getting away with", that's as much now on them as the incorrect convictions.

Tossers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here