Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Post-match reaction - yet again an awful referee has cost us

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Never seen so many short passes get hit hopelessly out of play than today! Both sides looked like they were really struggling to come to terms with new managers/systems.

Thought the whole game was dire. A few times in the 2nd half the game just stopped and nobody could be bothered to get it going again, just stood around looking at each other! Not helped by a completely inept and out of his depth referee.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Interesting that you seem to hold the officials responsible and not, say, Buckley, who by various accounts missed a fairly simple chance a couple of minutes before they scored.

If we'd scored the goal that Murphy did, you wouldn't be on here complaining about officiating, so let's move on.

Do you want to start going to games before spouting rubbish about who should and should not have scored. Muppet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Two points.....we started with eleven players who were here last season ie no additions , who were not good enough last season.

Sorry, what on earth are you on about? We were SUPERB last season and finished FOURTH, second half of the season we were the SECOND best team in the league. We were far more than "good enough" last season.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting to hear this views. On Sky they were raving about us and said we were 'in control of the game' in the second half around the time Kenny made his double save.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Just got back.

Not our greatest performance by any standards. But we were more than in the game, against a Leeds side that probably played at its best. We had our chances, but failed to take them. The handball on TV is obvious. Unfortunately, the ref doesnt have that benefit. I cant see how he could disallow the goal, if he saw no infringement. And to a person no one in the crowrd saw it until the action replay.

If we were worried about left back, then we neednt have. Calderon had a fantastic match. Infact it was at right back where we were poor. Bruno had a very poor game. On this performance we need a left back, so that Calderon can move back to right back.

I agree with the fitness issue. We did look knackered. Not sure if that was down to carrying an injury during pre season in Bridders case or a poor pre season in Spanish Dave and Kemys case.

Although clearly not match fit, Kemy looked a very good player. Strong on the ball, with an eye for a good pass. But we did lack pace up front, not helped by having no wingers for first 60 mins.

Overall, although I would have preferred to win today, the performance showed promise. At times we played some excellent stuff, just let down by numerous misplaced passes (Bruno and Bridders). Hopefully over the coming weeks these things will work themselves out.

First games of the season say nothing. We should know that by now, cos if they did, we would have won the league last season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Listening to the commentary it sounds as if McDermott has brought in some decent signings. They did make a mistake saying that Paddy Kenny, who apparently saved Leeds, was a shrewd buy by McDermott as I was sure Neil Warnock signed him

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Anybody read Mcdoughnuts post match graciousness on the beeb site? I really don't like that bloke....a yard offside....idiot

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Just seen it and it was a definite deliberate handball. It didn't take long for the first glaring error by an official. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375554410.537394.jpg

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Just got back.

Not our greatest performance by any standards. But we were more than in the game, against a Leeds side that probably played at its best. We had our chances, but failed to take them. The handball on TV is obvious. Unfortunately, the ref doesnt have that benefit. I cant see how he could disallow the goal, if he saw no infringement. And to a person no one in the crowrd saw it until the action replay.

If we were worried about left back, then we neednt have. Calderon had a fantastic match. Infact it was at right back where we were poor. Bruno had a very poor game. On this performance we need a left back, so that Calderon can move back to right back.

I agree with the fitness issue. We did look knackered. Not sure if that was down to carrying an injury during pre season in Bridders case or a poor pre season in Spanish Dave and Kemys case.

Although clearly not match fit, Kemy looked a very good player. Strong on the ball, with an eye for a good pass. But we did lack pace up front, not helped by having no wingers for first 60 mins.

Overall, although I would have preferred to win today, the performance showed promise. At times we played some excellent stuff, just let down by numerous misplaced passes (Bruno and Bridders). Hopefully over the coming weeks these things will work themselves out.

First games of the season say nothing. We should know that by now, cos if they did, we would have won the league last season.

Sorry, I can't agree with you about Calderon. He was to blame for the first goal, jockeying with his right foot instead of his left and allowing the Leeds player to go down the line and cross. A left-footed player would have shown him inside and the cross would have been more difficult to make. We NEED a left back.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
2-1 to the referee. Why is the standard of refereeing so poor in the Championship? Terrible today for both sides.

How a referee can not see a blatant handball by one of their scummy players and then has the nerve to card the players who hound him at the end for his terrible decision is truly amazing.

For what it's worth we looked really poor and disinterested in winning the game, looks like it could be a long hard season a head, especially with joke officials in the league.

anyone who knows anything about football knows "post match reaction" is a term given to player and manager interviews........clicked this thinking i would find quotes.....as i am sure others did.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Do you want to start going to games before spouting rubbish about who should and should not have scored. Muppet.

Bit harsh that comment really.

anyone who knows anything about football knows "post match reaction" is a term given to player and manager interviews........clicked this thinking i would find quotes.....as i am sure others did.

Okay, maybe I should have called it post match thoughts but it seems Oscar is saying the same thing about a poor referee

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Two points.....we started with eleven players who were here last season ie no additions , who were not good enough last season.

See, after that comment anything you follow up with cannot be taken seriously.

Just got back.

Top post, this is how i saw/see it!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The referee was fine, he was unsighted for the winning goal, Murphy did control it with his arm, but there is no way the ref could see it, and there were a good few players blocking the view of the linesman too.

As for the Buckley chance, it was a reasonable header, but we all know our Will is never going to be Peter Withe in the air, Kenny made a half decent save.

1082588_10151510726586356_827403127_o.jpg

We were good for the first 15 minutes, then took our feet off the gas. Leeds were busier, a bit too route one at times (although it worked for the winning goal), but neither side impressed. Too many simple errors, inability to control the ball, not enough running off it through the channels to create chances.

PIC made one save all match, and also picked the ball out of the net twice. Kenny made two saves, and conceded one goal.

Poor match all round, hats off to the Leeds fans though for sticking right to the end, very few left with 10 minutes to go.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just seen it and it was a definite deliberate handball. It didn't take long for the first glaring error by an official. View attachment 45482

I saw it from 80 yards away and screamed HANDBALL , I got a disbelieving look from @RM-Taylor until the goal was shown on the big screens. Blatant handball.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Just got back.

Good analysis - certainly a lot better than some of the comments on this thread. McDermott (a good honest bloke) said either side could have won. - Kenny saved Leeds twice with great saves in second half. Yes, some passes went badly astray but there was also some very good movement and intricate passing. Agustein impressed - would prefer him to Crofts as adds a bit of physical and showed good vision. winners. A draw would have been fair and to lose to a dodgy decision is tough. OG played attacking sustitutions and anecdotally I would say there was more evidence of bodies in opposition box than last season. Don't panic...

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I text my brother before the game saying I don't think I've ever seen a starting eleven with less pace in my time supporting the Albion. Whether this affected the result its impossible to say as I wasn't there sadly.

Onwards and upwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here