Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post ManU v Arsenal - worrying words

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Blimey, this is really mature isn't it? Really impressed by some of the patronising responses on here, terrific stuff lads :clap:
Whether you agree with me or not, I am entitled to my opinion and funnily enough it is an opinion shared by Sir Alex Ferguson.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I can't believe anyone would take any kind of offence to that

no wonder England are so shit at football when fans, commentators and managers alike are more concerned with being a 'good old lad' rather than a 'fancy dan'

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Blimey, this is really mature isn't it? Really impressed by some of the patronising responses on here, terrific stuff lads :clap:
Whether you agree with me or not, I am entitled to my opinion and funnily enough it is an opinion shared by Sir Alex Ferguson.

grow up. Your point isn't shared by many. That doesn't mean anyone is patronising you.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
If you've got the skill & confidence to carry it off then do it...it's what we, as fans, want our team to do.

Wardy scored some unbelievable goals and would often leave players on their backsides, great.

I'm all for showboating, i want to be entertained. It can be an individual or a team.

I'm no Leeds fan but Revie's side could be awesome and unforgiving when it came to tearing teams apart & taking the piss (Southampton 7-0 a case in point) but it's up to the opposition to (fairly) get in the game.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Well I enjoyed it, I'd love to see Mayo do it on Tuesday.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Well it's only the FA Cup, it's pretty apparent that the foreign managers couldn't care about it, given Chelsea & Arsenal's team selections yesterday.

Man United only were really rallied up for it as they know it's the only thing they can win this season, hope they get drawn away to Chelsea in the quarter-finals and lose, but watch the draw fortunatley put them at home against Bristol Rovers or Cardiff.

Just like the draw for the last round fortunately put them at home to Arsenal?

You don't like United then?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's up to the referee at the end of the day, if the player is deliberately trying to wind-up the opposition then he can book him for ungentlemanly conduct. In this instance i'd say it's alright but when Ronaldo did it against a lower-league club i can't say i'd be too upset if someone had just clattered him

It's up to the referee at the end of the day, if the player is deliberately trying to wind-up the opposition then he can book him for ungentlemanly conduct. In this instance i'd say it's alright but when Ronaldo did it against a lower-league club i can't say i'd be too upset if someone had just clattered him

......and perhaps injured him for a couple of months, so we wouldn't have to put up with watching the likes of Ronaldo, and his fancy-dan footwork. We don't want THAT sort of footwork in our lump-the-ball-and-run league. :nono:

nani was asking to have his leg broken. i would have gladly done him that service

Yes, let these skillful players know, it's just not on, to go thinking that flair is 'entertaining'.
Leave that sort of thing in the Brazillian, Italian and Portuguese game.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Yes it is. This romantic, popular viewpoint about football as entertainment is all well and good, but in reality the aim is to score more goals than the opposition and football, to me, is far more than just "entertainment", especially Arse v Utd. .

Pissing myself - bet yor wife/partner is delighted with you in the bedroom department....

'Sorry dear - This romantic, popular viewpoint about sex as entertainment is all well and good, but in reality the aim is to score more children - Missionary it is again...'

:thumbsup:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
This thread is full of personal prejudices.

I don't think there is anything about 'showboating' in the laws of the game. I my view a player can do what he likes with the ball as long as it's within the laws of the game, and it's up to the opposition to try to get it off him by legitimate means.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Nani did and it was entertaining. Unlike Arsenal's crude attempts to win the ball back.

How anyone can say that it was ungentlemanly conduct or that he deserved to have his leg broken is beyond me. But maybe it's not...

I think the old, very boring, very childish anti-Man U prejudices are coming out again. If Joe Bloggs from Wigan had done exactly the same thing, this thread would be full of praise and nothing else.

I couldn't care less who won that match, but I enjoyed one side playing a lot of good, positive, entertaining football. Arsenal's recation to that was not to up their game, (something they have the talent to do), but to resort to the shabby tactics we saw.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Well saying I know "f*** all about football" seems quite patronising to me. Disagree with me by all means, but don't tell me to grow up.

Well you don't know anything by the looks of things. On the other thread you say that you didn't think CKR was lazy. That one is only a GCSE in football to notice that he is without doubt one of the laziest footballers ever to wear the stripes.

For me, there is nothing better than players showboating when you are 3-0 or 4-0up. If it upsets a few gooners thats even better.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
there is a difference between showing skill and flair, and just trying to take the piss and being arrogant. him thinking he can take the piss out of arsenal is ironic, and i would have been pleased to see him get two footed.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Don't see the problem with Nani showboating. And for Arsenal to complain when Henry was almost doing it week in week out is silly.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
there is a difference between showing skill and flair, and just trying to take the piss and being arrogant. him thinking he can take the piss out of arsenal is ironic, and i would have been pleased to see him get two footed.

What a wonderfully positive attitude you have to the game...

And why do you say "..him thinking he can take the piss out of Arsenal..."?
He didn't think he could do it, he did it!

Presumably you would have thought the same if an Albion player had done it and you would have pleased to see him get two-footed..?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
......and perhaps injured him for a couple of months, so we wouldn't have to put up with watching the likes of Ronaldo, and his fancy-dan footwork. We don't want THAT sort of footwork in our lump-the-ball-and-run league. :nono:

QUOTE]

Are you his mum or something?
My problem was not that he did the skills but that he was doing them against a team from a division below, when they were 4-0 on the biggest day of their career. That's a lack of sportsmanship. Truly great players would need the ego boost of taunting someone fairly obviously not on their level

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Does anyone remember Nathan Jones utterly taking the piss out of Orient when we were something like 4-1 up a few years back ? Bit of ball-juggling up by the north-east corner if I remember (when the away fans were seated there), lured in a couple of tackles before skipping out of the way and delivering a cross.

I was LOVING it. It was hilariARSE

I was going to bring that up as well, Easy. It happened right in front of where I was sitting and was on SoccerAM for a bit, I had an mpeg of it on my hard drive for a while as it amused me. Don't remember too many of us being upset about that? And I write as one of the more fanatically anti-Utd bods on this board, I suspect.

It's the sort of thing the fans of the team doing it love, and the others hate, like a lot of things in football. If a gooner had done it at Old Trafford the fans would have been baying for somebody to kick him up in the air. Must say though, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Ferguson's take on it. First time for everything...

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here