Post Election Irony.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wow. People from a public school background can't empathise with those that are not so well off.

Your former leader, privately educated, seems to be doing rather well for himself. So much so, he can write off £4.5m and still afford to canter around and holiday abroad.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
I saw this video at the time of the election. Shame more people didnt listen.

I think they did. The whole Cameron/Eton thing was done to death in the run up to the election.

That was part of Labours problem. You have to do more than just than just bash your opponents; you do need something positive to say about yourselves. Labour couldn't - they had Gordon Brown.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
The privately educated own the world.

Name me the last Prime Minister who was educated at a comprehensive?

When the A-Level results came out last week, the BBC didn't interview my bruv who got A,A,A* at Newman, they chose York College. A minute ago, when the BBC covered the GSCE results being announced, they didn't go to Hove Park, they concentrated on pupils at an independent in Hampshire.

Talking of BBC; it's presenters, Bill Turnbull and Sian Williams, their schooling?

You guessed it!

This post is not intended to be negative, it is purely based on my casual observations.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
So using the evidence given, George Orwell, Hugh Laurie, Damian Lewis (Captain Winters from Band of Brothers) are selfish bastards.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The privately educated own the world.

Comprehensives only came into being in the 70s, so Cameron is really the first PM who could have been educated at a comp.

But there have been several PMs from a state school background. In my lifetime that list includes Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major and Brown so it's not a small number.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

A bit of a pointless question. Prior to the late 1960s the comprehensive system was an experiment implemented at only a few schools, so almost no one in the country born before 1950 was educated at one, whether they went on to be PM or not.

In other words, only Blair and Cameron would even have had the chance.

Edit: beaten to it by Gwylan.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
A bit of a pointless question. Prior to the late 1960s the comprehensive system was an experiment implemented at only a few schools, so almost no one in the country born before 1950 was educated at one, whether they went on to be PM or not.

In other words, only Blair and Cameron would even have had the chance.

Edit: beaten to it by Gwylan.

True, true, when I say comprehensives, perhaps I should say non-independents.

In other words, no fees required.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
True, true, when I say comprehensives, perhaps I should say non-independents.

In other words, no fees required.

As I said in my post, six of the last seven PMs (before Cameron) were all state-educated - no fees required.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think they did. The whole Cameron/Eton thing was done to death in the run up to the election.

That was part of Labours problem. You have to do more than just than just bash your opponents; you do need something positive to say about yourselves. Labour couldn't - they had Gordon Brown.

There's definetely irony in a (presumably) Tory criticising other parties for having no policies and merely bad-mouthing the opposition

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
As I said in my post, six of the last seven PMs (before Cameron) were all state-educated - no fees required.

..and all six achieved scholarships entitling them to a high-standard education. I wonder if this opens up an argument of allowing a return to something similar to the 11+?

My initial question was a little flawed and I admit that, but my assertion that today's influential individuals have independent backgrounds in any given market, still stands.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
..and all six achieved scholarships entitling them to a high-standard education. I wonder if this opens up an argument of allowing a return to something similar to the 11+?

My initial question was a little flawed and I admit that, but my assertion that today's influential individuals have independent backgrounds in any given market, still stands.

They didn't obtain scholarships but, as you point out later, passed their 11+ exams (except Callaghan who went to a secondary modern). State grammar schools charged no fees - I went to one and my parents certainly couldn't have afforded to pay.

But I think your general point stands - certainly people who have been privately educated obtain positions of power out of all proportion to their numbers.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don find it odd that those politicians with top level education are seen as somewhat less worthy than a 'working class hero'. Should they be apologetic that they were in a position to be afforded a private education?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
I don find it odd that those politicians with top level education are seen as somewhat less worthy than a 'working class hero'. Should they be apologetic that they were in a position to be afforded a private education?

If not odd, disproportionate? 10% of the population come from independent schools. In that high percentage, how is it that since the inception of the comprehensive schools, only one person has ruled the country?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If not odd, disproportionate? 10% of the population come from independent schools. In that high percentage, how is it that since the inception of the comprehensive schools, only one person has ruled the country?

Years of fagging, buggery and dead arms makes them leadership material.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports