Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Post Brexit plan for signing overseas players

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd love to read the official club view of this and how or if it affects our strategy going forward in 2021. It's been given a good spin, but it doesn't feel so good to me for standards or development opportunities.

The bigger clubs will just raid smaller clubs for better youth players in England now

This will hit The FL harder.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
"In the Premier League, the number of overseas U21 players a club can sign will be limited to three in the January transfer window and six per season moving forwards."

Really don't see the advantage of this, quality overall will decline - how does that help the game? Will only inflate the price of English players further, to the benefit of the largest clubs. Don't see any advantage for Brighton.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not surely. More resources into developing talent, less resources into scouting foreign talent.

Most leagues rarely sign foreign U18 players and a lot of leagues/countries produce more quality footballers per capita than England despite having much less resources.

This is a great opportunity. No longer able to ignore the local not so perfect kiddo because there is some foreign kiddo further into his development: instead, needs to put more effort into turning the non-perfect kiddo into something good.

Great for England, potentially great for the PL and great for every single football playing kid in your country.

In theory, it should be a good thing and it should give more youngsters the chance at hitting the big time. Alternatively, the mega-bucks English clubs like City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc will bleed all of the top talent away from the smaller clubs for laughable tribunal fees to fill up their academies with a higher proportion of English players to replace the overseas ones. The academy system is full of players rejected with no other career to fall back on, so hopefully it does get more kids longer term futures in the game.

Wasn't there some shake-up of the loan system going to come into play to help this?

As an aside, Yapi, Dendoncker, Tolaj, Ella, Ostigard, Gyokeres, Baluta and Van Hecke may not have been allowed to sign under the new rules. I expect that's why we moved for Moder and Karbownik in the summer rather than risk them not being able to come in Jan or later?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"In the Premier League, the number of overseas U21 players a club can sign will be limited to three in the January transfer window and six per season moving forwards."

Really don't see the advantage of this, quality overall will decline - how does that help the game? Will only inflate the price of English players further, to the benefit of the largest clubs. Don't see any advantage for Brighton.

We don't tend to sign more than 6 U21 players from overseas every year anyway do we ?

And any extra can be parked at Union SG until we have a recruitment slot available or they are over 21.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We don't tend to sign more than 6 U21 players from overseas every year anyway do we ?

And any extra can be parked at Union SG until we have a recruitment slot available or they are over 21.

I think we've signed a lot more recently, probably in anticipation of something like this happening.

but the BIG question is WILL THIS ALLOW US TO GET A WORK PERMIT FOR PERCY TAU?!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I thought this initially, but we do seem to have a U23 squad full of overseas players. Off the top of my head this season, we've already signed the 2 polish lads and that winger from Dortmund, and I tend not to follow U23 or U18 signings particularly closely.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The loopholes will be for the top six, as per usual it is one rule for them and another for the rest.

Chelsea/City/Barca recently got bans and fines for rule breaking

It’s unlikely, how will they over rule home office rules?

This isn’t about big clubs getting around the rules, it’s about smaller clubs being taken apart when it comes to youth players.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Chelsea/City/Barca recently got bans and fines for rule breaking

It’s unlikely, how will they over rule home office rules?

This isn’t about big clubs getting around the rules, it’s about smaller clubs being taken apart when it comes to youth players.

Bit of an exaggeration. PL clubs will sign more UK based younger players but not all of them !
This is just a shadow Brexit thread with people making predictions based on how they voted in the Referendum. The truth is we don’t know how the system will adapt.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good news for England - if people still care about that - but bad news for the Premier League surely?

That said, I'm sure there'll be loopholes. There usually is.

Surely puts the PL are a significant disadvantage against other European leagues

Steve Parish will be pleased...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bit of an exaggeration. PL clubs will sign more UK based younger players but not all of them !

I think you under estimate how many young/youth players sign a year.

There will be gaps in the Youth set up at U18s and U23 at most clubs.

You will have bigger clubs tapping up younger players not to sign pro forms with L1/2 clubs - those will be the players with any hint of potential and sell on value.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Will only benefit the wealty clubs in England, as they will be able to get the better players from overseas.

Just think back a few years and consider whether we could have brought in any of the following players to move us up the leagues:

Bruno
Calderon
Knockaert
Ryan
Gross
Ulloa
Propper
Lopez
Hemed
Brezovan
Ankergren
Battipiedi
Baz
Agdestein
Colunga
Holla
Maksimenko
Toko

and others.

will this push up transfer fees even further for English players?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is just a shadow Brexit thread with people making predictions based on how they voted in the Referendum. The truth is we don’t know how the system will adapt.

I don't know about the rest, but I certainly agree with the last line.

This is where you really need someone in charge who is hardworking with an eye for detail, impeccable business acumen, superb planning skills and who has built solid business foundations and relationships based on trust over the years.

Luckily we have Uncle Tone :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Looks like United have been stockpiling for a while

Manchester United’s transfer drive to sign Europe’s best young players put into context by Brexit announcement

It was an announcement that puts United’s business over the 12-18 months into context.

Willy Kambwala – the 16-year-old centre back signed from Sochaux in October - would have been out of their reach.

Likewise, Alejandro Garnacho – the same age as Kambwala – who was plucked from Atletico Madrid, also in October.

Before them were Marc Jurado, 16, from Barcelona; Real Madrid defender Alvaro Fernandez Carreras, 17; and Isak Hansen-Aaroen, 16, from Tromso.

Those teenagers have formed part of a concerted drive from United to sweep up the best emerging talent from the continent in the months before new regulations came in.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/manchester-uniteds-transfer-drive-to-sign-europes-best-young-players-put-into-context-by-brexit-announcement/ar-BB1bz9xv?ocid=mailsignout

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
CONFIRMED: After Brexit, Premier League clubs will be unable to sign foreign players under the age of 18, and will also be limited to signing no more than 3 foreign players aged 18-21 every transfer window.

It has previously been reported that Evan Ferguson will be joining Albion from Bohemians next summer (he celebrated his 16th birthday in October and would join in July as a 1st-year scholar). Under these new rules, I don't think he would be able to sign. I don't know enough about the signing of under-age players to know whether these rules will scupper that deal, or whether Albion have already secured (or will be able to secure) his signing prior to Dec 31.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Will only benefit the wealty clubs in England, as they will be able to get the better players from overseas.

Just think back a few years and consider whether we could have brought in any of the following players to move us up the leagues:

Bruno
Calderon
Knockaert
Ryan
Gross
Ulloa
Propper
Lopez
Hemed
Brezovan
Ankergren
Battipiedi
Baz
Agdestein
Colunga
Holla
Maksimenko
Toko

and others.

will this push up transfer fees even further for English players?

A lot of those would have met the 15 point requirement with ease considering how lenient the criterias for points are. Play relatively regularly in a decent club in a decent league, and you're in.

Yup. Definitely smells a lot like "I dont like Brexit so I need to pretend that this is the work of Satan".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think we've signed a lot more recently, probably in anticipation of something like this happening.

but the BIG question is WILL THIS ALLOW US TO GET A WORK PERMIT FOR PERCY TAU?!

100% we can get a work permit for Percy now

Yea if I understand it correctly..

2 points from playing pretty much all the time for South Africa.

7-10 points based on domestic minutes criteria in the Belgian league. Not going to do the math and not sure how they count his spell in Anderlecht vs his spell in Brugge.

"Final League Position of the Player’s Last Club" would give 5 points for Club Brugge but only 1 point for Anderlecht.

"Continental Progression of Player’s Last Club" should mean 2 points for Brügge and 0 points for Anderlecht.

"Band of Player’s Current Club" is pretty vague to me:

"If a Player has been loaned to a club in a lower band than his parent club and has made a
first team appearance (on the pitch) for his parent club during the Reference Period, he shall
be granted the higher of the points he would have been eligible for in accordance with Table
6 if his parent club was the Player’s Current Club."

... but if this means that Brugge and Anderlecht playing in a band 2 league are also considered band 2 clubs, this would bring Tau another 10 points.

Meaning Tau could have a total of as much as ~30 points but also as little as ~10 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here