Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post a picture of your local...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In the late 40's through to the 60's my Wife's Nan was the landlady of various pubs in the Kemp Town/Hannover area, The Golden Cannon, Constant Service and a few others.

My father in law delivered bread to the Snow Drop in Lewes when he was a kid

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The Old Nun's Head in, er, Nunhead. A cunning name, I'm sure you'll agree.

Amazing how that place came back from the brink. A rare pub survival story in that part of the world. Fantastic Sunday roasts.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I hope that was Yorkshire Bakery bread. The finest loaf in Lewes.

I don't know to be honest....seemly there was a bakery where the Cliffe Ind estate is now and he delivered from there.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'm fairly sure it would have been the Yorkshire Bakery - which was in Malling Street so down in the Cliffe. The Cliffe Industrial Estate was built on the site of Rugby Portland Cement and I don't recall any sort of bakery being on it. Although I am happy to be proved wrong.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Doubtless a pre-match ale here the morrow...

8396f450b61f7442ec6ea9ddc3e87422.jpg

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I have to say there are some absolutely cracking and really individual pubs in Brighton, unlike anywhere else I have lived!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Mine used to be the Marquess of Exeter (when i was'nt drinking in town) when Jim had it, not to sure it is there now ? after Jim left a customer took it over (Mo i think her name was ?) was agreat pub back in the 70s though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm fairly sure it would have been the Yorkshire Bakery - which was in Malling Street so down in the Cliffe. The Cliffe Industrial Estate was built on the site of Rugby Portland Cement and I don't recall any sort of bakery being on it. Although I am happy to be proved wrong.

could well have been....( he may have delivered to the cement works )

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Mine used to be the Marquess of Exeter (when i was'nt drinking in town) when Jim had it, not to sure it is there now ? after Jim left a customer took it over (Mo i think her name was ?) was agreat pub back in the 70s though.

It used to be good when it had the snooker table upstairs, now its called the chimney house or something and its pretty rubbish to be fair.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Whisky? You're not thinking of this place, are you?

c23628387ea2f160e8e2b6630758e028.jpg

Nope, it definitely was the Basketmakers, took a Jock mate there once and we tried to drink as many fine malts as the landlord had on display, and there were a LOT. I've never been as mullered since, but as I'm a happy drunk there was no drama

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nope, it definitely was the Basketmakers, took a Jock mate there once and we tried to drink as many fine malts as the landlord had on display, and there were a LOT. I've never been as mullered since, but as I'm a happy drunk there was no drama

Fair enough, it's just that the Great Eastern won some national award for its array of whiskies earlier this year.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
While at uni up in Chester it was here:

2898810313_a44dbba6c5.jpg

The Boot Inn. Sam Smiths for 1.24 a pint you could get have a great evening and still come away with change from a tenner. Not been there for nearly ten years, and still miss it!

It's still there, still selling Sams, and still dirt cheap.:yahoo:

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I've decided to change my local from the Farm Tavern to the Bow Street Runner, because even though I can hit the FT with a stone from my home the BSR has more character. So, this is where I'll be headed straightaway when I come home next, isn't it lovely?

ea501467ea8bd25aaee9e81cddccdcc9.jpg

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
You are. best served in Lewes, usually.

Will have to try it sooner rather than later, but when I do, I wanna try it from somewhere where it's at it's best. Rather than one of them BAR-VANS you get at the County Ground. :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here