Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible shock news re. Qatar World Cup bid

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
Really not even slightly shocked about this, I thought it was pretty blatant something like this would have to happen for Qatar to win.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's rare that I applaud the England FA but they are THE ONLY ONES who made a stink about this farce and were outvoted by FIFA. It's a disgrace.

If we had any bollocks we would boycott the event. People (Pakistanis mainly) have died building those ludicrous stadia in the desert.

The only reason we made a fuss about Qatar and Russia, as far as I can tell, is because we lost. If we'd been a chosen host I find if very hard to believe we'd then question the process afterwards.

It should be questioned regardless but I don't think the intentions behind doing so should be considered particularly noble.

As for a boycott, would be a great idea but the power really lies with the big clubs to raise concerns over the state their players might be in afterwards. Sadly, when you have a high proportion of the biggest clubs in the world (Barca, PSG, City to name a few) all financed or owned from within that region I think it unlikely to ever happen.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
When they've finished investigating the 2022 result, maybe they can investigate the 2018 result which is patently equally corrupt.

Isn't/wasn't that the case?

All of the corruption involving FIFA officials has led to a severe lack of excitement about the World Cup for me.

The World Cup 'selection commitee's' voting process reminds me of the Eurovision Song Contest: we will never get close to winning that in the same way we will never be awarded a World Cup in my life time - if at all.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
They're going to have to revoke it, aren't they? There's just too many problems, this is just the icing on the cake.

I agree. Let's hope that this, plus Blatter's recently admitting that Qatar could be a mistake, is the start of the disengagement process.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When they've finished investigating the 2022 result, maybe they can investigate the 2018 result which is patently equally corrupt.

The difference is that Russia is a perfectly reasonable choice as a venue, Qatar plainly isn't.I'm sure the 2018 choice was a fix but it's not a shocking decision

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
You're right. My mistake. In that case we should have gone down the more traditional route of a Manila envelope stuffed with cash.

Too right, bribes used to be done in the correct way!!

I'm not really that clued up about the whole thing to be honest and you very may well be correct about the reason the tickets were given. My post was more of me thinking out loud and trying to understand than questioning/criticising you.

It just all seems a little odd to me.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The difference is that Russia is a perfectly reasonable choice as a venue, Qatar plainly isn't.I'm sure the 2018 choice was a fix but it's not a shocking decision

This. At least they, you know, actually play football in Russia and have stadiums and stuff. The weather in June/July is a bit more conducive to football as well; the 2022 tournament is going to be a non-event due to this alone.

The result of the vote - England finishing last easily - was fishy to say the last, but at least we still have a tournament that we can look forward to.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Couple of points here,first it should be one member one vote. Secondly countries in western europe,USA already have the infrasctruture in place to handle events like the world cup therefore corruption opportunities are reduced greatly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't see how this is being seen as sour grapes by the FA. We weren't even bidding to host in 2022.

If they do have a re-run (and that's still a big 'if') would it be a straight re-run of the candidates last time (ie US, Australia, Japan and South Korea) or would FIFA invite other countries to bid? We could have a chance on a rebid as they'd want countries with an existing infrastructure - slim chance though

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The idea that the English FA should call for a re-vote as absolutely laughable - what's done is done, and the world will get a truly shit competition in 2022.

If they wanted to do some good, why weren't they calling for criminal charges to be made against anybody at FIFA accepting bungs for votes, rather than calling for a re-vote?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The equivalent article in the Metro today talked at length of the re-run of the vote (at least 3 sentences) but made no mention whatsoever of what to do about all the members of FIFA who are now implicated.

If you accept the vote was rigged and bribery the major reason Qatar won, then you have to accept that a whole host of Representatives were in breach of the FIFA code of conduct and should be expelled if not prosecuted. And yet the appears to be no mention of this in the things I read.

They cannot accept a re-run of the vote without a wholesale clearing out of the "corrupt" representatives who took bribes for the last vote! Acceptance of one means accepting the other must also be true!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Another major expose in the Sunday Times today, seems Qatar and Russia had this all sewn up between them. They should have a revote on both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here