Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Possible return of fans for some Pre-Season games? (Times article)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They could do with installing a big station for the green hire bikes at the stadium. A huge one. Lots of people coming from the city centre could cycle there / back. Cycling back could be especially popular to avoid the queue and wait time for trains.

Would have been a good idea anyway, in the current situation would provide an alternative to trains and buses to reduce crowding.

Would be great to see mass cycling to the stadium. It's a fairly flat run from Worthing or Lewes. From Brighton it's a piece of piss up the Lewes Road. They could easily subdivide the path from the Bridge carpark to the stadium for pedestrians / cyclists to make that flow better.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The biggest joke is not allowing fans at non-league steps 4,5,6 etc. Most clubs attract crowds 30-300 and will die without fans attending yet I can sit in a pub, go bowling, head to the gym then get the bus home without any trouble. Heaven forbid me and a mate go watch a local game in open air.
The issue would be that it would be very difficult enforcing social distancing in non seated grounds, especially in that environment where people tend to group up.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The issue would be that it would be very difficult enforcing social distancing in non seated grounds, especially in that environment where people tend to group up.

plus with no top level football to attend for fans , would be huge interest from people that wouldnt normally go. I know I would

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Most non league grounds crowds are naturally spread out, as if there has been a pandemic for years! :lolol: yeah, you can get a group of about 50 behind a goal, but come on, that is fairly easy to steward as it is letting people spread out on a beach. The average crowds for National North/South is about 800. Round a football pitch that is fairly safe I would think.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I draw the line at squeezing onto a packed pre/post match train like sardines, as is the norm. I've been on the socially-distanced buses which is ok, you always have a seat, usually spaced apart. But being CRUSHED into a train carriage in October with standing room only ?

Nah. Fook that.

Shouldn’t be packed out trains with 40% or less capacity though. Or drive and get bus or cycle or park and walk - loads of safe ish options.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Where do you draw the line though ? People are communing on public transport. You can now fly, go to packed beaches, visit a pub etc etc.

Getting pathetic all this.

This.

Non league football fans campaigning for attendance to be allowed.

I can't watch my team with 250 others so instead I'll join thousands on the ****ing beach as it's a nice day.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Anyone know if there's one already installed at Sussex Uni? If not, would make perfect sense to install a humungous one to serve both sites. Can't see it could really be justified for the Amex alone, seeing how it would only get used a couple of dozen times a year

There are some but not many in the vicinity. They really need to be at the stadium to encourage use.

c3477c3204a53fc7d6bd450318a052d9.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I draw the line at squeezing onto a packed pre/post match train like sardines, as is the norm. I've been on the socially-distanced buses which is ok, you always have a seat, usually spaced apart. But being CRUSHED into a train carriage in October with standing room only ?

Maybe have the trains not stop at Falmer or any of the other intermediate stops between Brighton and Lewes? Would be inconvenient but maybe necessary for a while

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Shouldn’t be packed out trains with 40% or less capacity though. Or drive and get bus or cycle or park and walk - loads of safe ish options.

Even at 40% or less capacity trains will still be a crowding problem IMO, not least with the queuing system. Particularly after the game, when everyone is trying to leave at more or less the same time.

As it happens I'm considering the driving and walking option, I don't mind a walk. Although as winter draws in, that option becomes less palatable as well. Like most other people I'm just going to have to play it by ear and see how it all pans out. If we're running at reduced capacity then I imagine STH's will only get to go to 1 in 3 or 4 games anyway.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Would be great to see mass cycling to the stadium. It's a fairly flat run from Worthing or Lewes. From Brighton it's a piece of piss up the Lewes Road. They could easily subdivide the path from the Bridge carpark to the stadium for pedestrians / cyclists to make that flow better.

Agreed! They just need to add a bike lane to the walk down to the Bridge then it would be 10/15 minutes from leaving your seat (after clapping the team off) to town.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Tories receive large donations from wealthy racehorse owners, trainers and other members of the sport’s establishment, so it must purely be a coincidence that Horse Racing is heavily involved in the pilot events.

Let's see what happens about football.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well they’ve made the announcement this evening snooker is back to where the tournament started ...oh and you can get your eyebrows done

Don't knock it. Mrs Earle isn't interested in the snooker, but thank goodness the eyebrows are back. Thought I'd never hear the end of it. 'People can go to pubs, so why can't I get my eyebrows done' has been a regular refrain!

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Well I’m just hoping the players all get back from their holidays around Europe, without getting caught with quarantine. Last week Glenn appeared to be in the Lake District, now he’s posting that he’s in Croatia. Some seem to be in France, some in Greece.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed! They just need to add a bike lane to the walk down to the Bridge then it would be 10/15 minutes from leaving your seat (after clapping the team off) to town.

Could use a few of those orange traffic markers that they have on the OSR. You’d only need a 1/3rd for cyclists so still plenty of room for pedestrians. Bit of a no brainer and low cost really, not sure why they haven’t done it already.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
plus with no top level football to attend for fans , would be huge interest from people that wouldnt normally go. I know I would

I really don’t think they’d be HUGE interest. I was referring to steps 3-6 of the non-league ladder so if 15 people are added to an average crowd of 100 it’s not going to make a difference - the area around a football pitch is huge.

Think I saw a tweet today regarding Padiham football and cricket club where spectators can currently watch the cricket but 1 metre away at an equal sized non-league football ground it’s forbidden...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I really don’t think they’d be HUGE interest. I was referring to steps 3-6 of the non-league ladder so if 15 people are added to an average crowd of 100 it’s not going to make a difference - the area around a football pitch is huge.

Think I saw a tweet today regarding Padiham football and cricket club where spectators can currently watch the cricket but 1 metre away at an equal sized non-league football ground it’s forbidden...

Agreed. Perhaps crowds should be allowed back in at the foot of the pyramid first.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Most non league clubs attendances on non league day are much bigger than usual, if We're talking people buy being able to watch the Albion for 6-7 months and what seems like a cheap and spacious match nearby loads of people will be interested. I think at one point they were going to restrict attendance to a percentage of capacity and at Lewes this meant 400 , which is already 150-200 below their usual attendance

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Can’t wait to get back into a full Amex as I think this whole Covid-Lockdown stuff is nonsense.

Saw an article from The Mail earlier saying that supporters won’t be allowed to sing at the stadiums. Well, that would be the death of football then, I really don’t think many people would turn up if they had to put up with that.

Funny isn’t it? Mass protests in America, England and Germany and no increase in the mortality rate, yet we aren’t allowed at football matches. Ever feel like you are being played?

If someone wants to stay away because they have elderly or vulnerable family members or they believe some butterfly effect may kill someone 100 miles away then be my guest, but don’t stop the rest of us from going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here