Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible military coup occurring in Turkey

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So there you are, sat on the beach in Turkey on your Low Cost Holidays trip with not a care in the world thinking how great life is when the hotel manager walks up to you and says.........

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I am really worried this is going to be bloody. Erdogan is legitimately popular with many.

The country is very much divided between the republicans and conservatives.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This could get very interesting. Germany have refused permission apparently. No point asking the UK or France. He could always try Iran or Saudi.

maybe Merkel just said to him go back and get a death trap dinghy then walk it like everyone else you " airplane whanker"

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This could get very interesting. Germany have refused permission apparently. No point asking the UK or France. He could always try Iran or Saudi.
I'm sure Putin would like a chat about the Russian fighter jet shot down a while ago.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm sure Putin would like a chat about the Russian fighter jet shot down a while ago.

He has already . Where have you been?

Erdogan has apologized. He had no choice. Turkey's tourism has been crippled in the south as Putin but a block on Russians holidaying in Turkey. That has now been lifted

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I assume Turkey gets kicked out of NATO if the military seize control which would make that conversation even more interesting.

you assume incorrectly, Turkey's membership of NATO has survived previous coups and the invasion of Cyprus. largest army in NATO after US, and staunchly against Russia which is what its all about remember.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I shouldn't think so. Both Greece and Turkey (twice) have previously had military coups whilst being in NATO.

Thanks for the info. I always (wrongly) assumed having a democratically elected government was a condition of membership.

Strategic control/alliances are apparently more important then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Looks like it's kicking off now

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Flights from the UK have still been, and are still, landing in Dalaman. I've been watching them on Flightradar24. Here comes another one from Gatwick now: https://www.flightradar24.com/MON756/a59be67

Looks like they are being diverted to Rhodes.

Edit: He just turned back towards Dalaman!

Bit strange that they didn't divert though.

'Ladies and Gentleman we are landing in a country that is currently undergoing a coup. Enjoy your holiday'

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Sky well behind. Millions on the streets now

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks like they are being diverted to Rhodes.

Edit: He just turned back towards Dalaman!

Yeah, I've watched a few. They tend to head South over the sea, whilst descending and then turn and head North for their final approach into Dalaman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here