Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from Yesterday

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Less corruption, more intimidated because it was at a big six stadium imho. Would love to see how that exact same game would have played out at the Amex in terms of officiating decisions.
You think the VAR ref was intimidated by the crowd?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I thought that Dunk's interview after the match was measured and masterful. It said everything, without causing further aggravation for him or our great club.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I regularly start these threads but this must be the toughest one yet:

1. It was a magnificent team performance, played Spurs off the park
2. There will now be a siege mentality developing, us versus the world after those decisions, this may even push us on to greater heights.
3. We scored from a corner again!
4. Brentford Chelsea and Fulham lost. Yes Villa won but those three are falling away.
5. There were no injuries.

There seems genuine anger and sympathy from across the football world about the injustice yesterday. It doesn’t help us get those lost points back but you have to hope that somewhere down the line we get a debatable one go for us as they know a repeat of yesterday gets even more scrutiny
This is a great point but at Stamford Bridge and Wembley, we’ll need to beat the teams, the refs AND VAR. That’s a tough ask but we do it.

After yesterday's frustration I have to say I woke up today feeling really good about the performance. Surely we played better yesterday than when we actually beat them last season, if things had gone our way it could have been 1-3 or 1-4.

Also I think that gap with United and Newcastle is just a bit too much for us to be really rueful about the dropped points here. Getting into the Europa and doing s'thing special in the cup will still be history making and I think we can calm down about top 4.

I'm actually pretty philosophical too about the bad luck yesterday, we just happened to be victims of a number of trends in officiating that all bizzarely piled up in that one game. Refs of late have been very reluctant to give pens on the pitch, preferring to pass the buck to VAR but VAR themselves have been getting too scared to intervene, preferring to let the on pitch ref do the job. So they just look at each other as stonewall decisions happen like Mitoma's, never mind Lenglet's handball and his wresting match with Dunk. The one bizarre exception to this is the new handball guideline brought in not so long ago - this is the one thing they are as interventionist as hell on and just want to rule out anything, even if it fails the clear and obvious test. I don't think we'll ever have a game like this again where we are on the wrong side of so many officiating trends - and at least we got it out of the way before the Wembley final ;)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Played fantastic. Much better than Bournemouth or scum or Brentford games. Really good performance in front of 70k or whatever - superb.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They play like that every game and most games at home they win. Was very predictable before the match. Weird team.

We are below them in the table so sadly we are not better than them!!
Are we better than Chelsea then?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There was a positive for the bioke in the blue-checked shirt and backwards blue baseball cap in row 19 to the far left, immediately next to the Spurs fan.

An attractive-looking young Spurs fan was determined to ensure he got her telephone number. It looked like signing the digits one-by-one with her fingers wasn't a success, so she typed it into the calculator app on her phone so he could take a photo of it and get the number. Very enterprising.

I hope they have a long and happy future together, although I do worry about any Albion fan having a relationship with someone who supports Harry Kane's shady endeavours on the football field.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There was a positive for the bioke in the blue-checked shirt and backwards blue baseball cap in row 19 to the far left, immediately next to the Spurs fan.

An attractive-looking young Spurs fan was determined to ensure he got her telephone number. It looked like signing the digits one-by-one with her fingers wasn't a success, so she typed it into the calculator app on her phone so he could take a photo of it and get the number. Very enterprising.

I hope they have a long and happy future together, although I do worry about any Albion fan having a relationship with someone who supports Harry Kane's shady endeavours on the football field.
One of them might be going down a lot 👀

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
1. Seven Sisters worked well. No q for us power walkers so I had time to meet son for an Italian and a couple of beers.

2. Slightly tongue in cheek, I do wonder whether any VAR ref in Stockley Park will at least for rest of this season want to be the one who causes Howard Webb to issue a fourth apology; never know we might get on the other side of one of these...

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Still fuming! 1 good thing to come out of this is its been a nationwide story and sympathy from other supporters. Yes, it doesn't get us points back but there will be debates about it nationally and some more scrutiny hopefully
Or it'll all be forgotten by next weekend?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here