Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portuguese Brickies On 1K A Week!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was a Bricklayer, many years ago...........time to get the trowel back out for a grand a week!!

image.jpg

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Absolutely brilliant programme, never missed it, it became compulsive viewing in our house!

I very nearly went out to Germany to work, I had contacted an agency and had it all sorted, but my wife became pregnant with our first child, so I stayed over here working, I knew a few guys who did go out there to work.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Absolutely brilliant programme, never missed it, it became compulsive viewing in our house!

I very nearly went out to Germany to work, I had contacted an agency and had it all sorted, but my wife became pregnant with our first child, so I stayed over here working, I knew a few guys who did go out there to work.
Absolutely the same happened to me. A few of us were set to go and my wife gave birth to our song. Made me realise there was no way I could leave her on her own. It never worked out for the others either.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Any of the builders here in The Hague, in Holland, in the early 2k times? They regenerated the city center and the city suddenly filled up with British and Irish site workers.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Agree it's a brilliant programme, still enjoy watching the repeats when they come on one of the Sky channels.
I've only got to look at Oz and I laugh:)

Rule Brittania, marmalade and jam....... :lolol:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

Spot on there, Tony. I loved all the series' of Auf Wiedersehn, although some of their building "skills" were a bit questionable.
I worked in Germany for 2 years in the mid '90's , and earned good money.
The sites were like ours are now, with several different nationalities working alongside each other, but there was no conflict, everyone got along just fine.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Funniest line I remember was after Oz had described an encounter with an older woman and compared it with watching a former pro footballer......from Moxey

'Funny that, cos the only older woman I ever slept with looked like Billy Bremner.....'

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
It was me who mentioned 100k a year for the top British brickies as I remember reading it in the papers a few months ago.

Just done a Google and it pulls up loads of results for these stories: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=4TOKVMrKC4m2UbL7g7gN

Obviously below the headlines the small print says "equivalent of 100k a year" so obviously that's if they were working every week of the year etc etc.

It also specifies that it's only the really good brickies who can do 1,000 bricks a day that get this, so presumably that's only a small percentage.

Whole thing could be complete bollocks (as much in the press is) of course, but it certainly puts a different spin on the article - ie the same papers who are now saying Portuguese brickies can earn up to a grand a week have already said months ago that British brickies can earn up to TWO grand a week, so it's not like the foreign workers are being paid MORE (as the article is designed to suggest)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here