Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth the worst team to play at The Amex.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
For the opening 7 minutes against Burnley, we absolutely tore them apart. Genuinely one of the most high tempo, aggressive, creative periods of a game I've seen in the last few years. If it hadn't been for the red cards I'm wholly confident we would have beaten them by four or five that day. As it was we lost but could've easily won it had CMS finished in the last few minutes. Portsmouth were uninventive and a bit desperate but IMO nowhere near as bad as Burnley, or Bristol City, or Coventry.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They weren't that bad. Obviously we battered them for the first 20 minutes but for the remainder of the first half they got a bit of a foot hold. They were tight at the back and composed in midfield. There were a couple of slick passing moves but in the final third they were devoid of ideas. As a result their only attempts were woeful long range efforts.

Second half there was only going to be one winner but they didn't make it easy for us. It's not true to say they were a purely route 1 team.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't think Pompey were that bad. They could have equalised towards the end of the game and the match was far from secure until Vicente scored his second.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
For the opening 7 minutes against Burnley, we absolutely tore them apart. Genuinely one of the most high tempo, aggressive, creative periods of a game I've seen in the last few years. If it hadn't been for the red cards I'm wholly confident we would have beaten them by four or five that day. As it was we lost but could've easily won it had CMS finished in the last few minutes. Portsmouth were uninventive and a bit desperate but IMO nowhere near as bad as Burnley, or Bristol City, or Coventry.

That was due to Harley and Lua Lua but we are not allowed to praise Harley on here are we?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They were by no means the worst side that we've played this season. Without the points deduction they would be 6 or 7 places higher in the table.

Or, more accurately 20th instead of 24th. 2 points above the relegation zone. Hardly safe.

I thought they were utterly devoid of any kind of attacking instinct. They knocked it around at times (though we dominated all but the last ten minutes of the first half), but they never, ever looked like scoring. The only hairy moments came when Jara gave the ball away in a stupid place, & when Brezovan fumbled that cross shot. If you count that as a shot, then it was their only effort on target all day.

A few of their players looked like they couldn't be bothered from where I sat. Especially once we scored, then it was a bit "we're doomed, might as well give up now". I think that attitude got through to their fans too, as there was little evidence of a siege mentality from them (unlike us against Burnley for example). I expected more from their players and support. On the playing side, I was happy to be proved wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or, more accurately 20th instead of 24th. 2 points above the relegation zone. Hardly safe.

I thought they were utterly devoid of any kind of attacking instinct. They knocked it around at times (though we dominated all but the last ten minutes of the first half), but they never, ever looked like scoring. The only hairy moments came when Jara gave the ball away in a stupid place, & when Brezovan fumbled that cross shot. If you count that as a shot, then it was their only effort on target all day.

A few of their players looked like they couldn't be bothered from where I sat. Especially once we scored, then it was a bit "we're doomed, might as well give up now". I think that attitude got through to their fans too, as there was little evidence of a siege mentality from them (unlike us against Burnley for example). I expected more from their players and support. On the playing side, I was happy to be proved wrong.

A good very accurate post and summing up of the situation.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Their only decent player was 16, who I spent most of the game thinking was David Norris, only to realise when Norris was subbed, it was in fact Scott Allan. One of their WBA loan players. The rest of them were dismal. I had no idea Luke Varney was on the pitch.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
You get some games where the score is 0-0 and one team is pretty dominant but there is always the fear factor that the lesser team will pop up and score against the run of play and win 1-0
There was no fear of that yesterday
Portsmouth were never going to score and their players 2nd half look dejected
Pompey fans though were passionate throughout

Stumpy Tim

I thought they looked half decent in the first half, and probably shaded it. In the second-half, Buckley was noticeably playing more central and Barnes was pulling out left - and we murdered them. They weren't the worst I've seen this season. That was probably Bristol City closely followed by Coventry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here